UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stay or Leave (minus or scratch)
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Stay or Leave (minus or scratch)

Looking for opinions based on your hunting experience. Would you rather a dog that leaves if something breaks out or one that stays and risks getting scratched?

Here is a scenario that has happened to me.

4 dog cast. Three dogs treed for 4+ minutes with no problems....then a late arrival shows up and jumps on one of the three....when you arrive, two are balled up...do know aggressor, but you can’t prove it. Both dogs are scratched.

Would you rather your dog leave, take minus and move on in the cast or stand their ground? I know some back up and all that, but that isn’t always the case. One dog defending themself, but gets eliminated.

Any way....thanks for your thoughts

Tim

Last edited by Tim Green on 12-01-2019 at 07:34 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-01-2019 07:31 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I look at it the same way I was raised. Don’t start anything but don’t let anyone walk over you . I want mine to stay

Old Post 12-01-2019 11:48 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Teach them when the lights coming to stop it. Bright as these lights are well you know.

Do your breaking at home.

Tar

Old Post 12-01-2019 12:21 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, how do you break them at home if they aren't the aggressor?

Old Post 12-01-2019 01:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, how do you break them at home if they aren't the aggressor?

If they are still getting it on when you get there they have aggressive tendencies also ( they ain’t no angel either) Send an aggressive dog in to their tree when the chit hits the fan turn your light on and break them up with the alpha.

First thing you got to do is admit to yourself somethings fishy in Denmark and yours ain’t innocent if it keeps happening.

I broke the worst one ever took me about 60 days to break her just like I stated above.

Tar

Old Post 12-01-2019 01:36 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

???

So if you have a mean dog DON'T stop taking him to the hunts just break him from getting caught?

Old Post 12-01-2019 02:21 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: ???

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
So if you have a mean dog DON'T stop taking him to the hunts just break him from getting caught?

Your going to draw them you loose $250 several times in a row you will either break them or stay home. Mine the reason I have kept the line I have so long they just get back out of the way but stay.

A lot of them are not aggressive till sombody tries to push them off a tree.

Tar

Old Post 12-01-2019 02:38 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Are fights common in your areas? I don’t believe a rough dog is near as common as it once was.

Old Post 12-01-2019 02:45 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

No we are out of the loop for major hunts. All of us hunt pups so one that is unruly don’t live long.

Tar

Old Post 12-01-2019 02:55 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr tar

I agree its a matter of time until you draw a aggressive dog BUT would't it be as easy to train a dog to tree back off the tree as it would to stop fighting when he/she sees a light coming?

Old Post 12-01-2019 03:29 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Mr tar

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
I agree its a matter of time until you draw a aggressive dog BUT would't it be as easy to train a dog to tree back off the tree as it would to stop fighting when he/she sees a light coming?

Whole lots easeyer when it’s a natural trait.

Tar

Old Post 12-01-2019 03:42 PM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments. I really enjoy everyone’s thoughts. I do not believe I should try and break a dog from defending itself. Our UKC rules just changed to prevent a dog from any reward for arriving late to a tree that they had nothing to do with....so why should I penalize my dog for Treeing a coon, just because a dog came in on her and tried to run her off. Really sucks when you walk in there and they are tied up after all that time and have a coon.....then you go home.

To be honest, makes you not even want to go to another hunt.....but then not only is the dog beating you, but the handler/owner beats you.

I love the other dog’s owner responses though.
I’ve never seen my dog ever be mean. Lol. Yeah right

Old Post 12-01-2019 04:17 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Greene

I hate a mean dog, will not tolerate a mean dog period. I want my dog to stay treed and fight back if attacked by another dog. I will take my scratch if needed, but I do not want my dog to leave their tree. I will not let any man bully me without fighting back, nor do I want my dogs to be bullied without fighting back. TRUTH is we have to take what we have got, some dogs will fight back and some dogs will not fight back, it's just not what we want, it's what we get. Breaking mean dogs to a light is bullcrap, mean dogs need a permanent fix. Anyone who hunts a known mean dog with other dogs needs to be banned from the hunts. Dave

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:02 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr richards

I agree 100% if a dog gets scratched for fighting i think the owner/ handler should get a strike against him/her and just like the dog they are out dog out for good after 3 owner/handler out for one year from last strike after 3 jmo.

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:35 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

You got that right, most everyone knows what kind of dog they have. You know if your dog is mean and if you choose to hunt a mean dog in the hunts, you should be the one getting banned. If your dog gets scratched 3 times in one year, it's not just bad luck, there is a good reason, it's mean period. I understand any dog may fight back and get scratched 1 time, but multiply times getting scratched proves a dog is aggressive. No hunter worth a nickel would knowingly hunt a mean dog with anyone elses dog. We have had more good young dogs ruined by mean dogs that the owner knew was mean and had no business hunting them or did not care who's dog they messed up. It's the owners fault and they should be banned. Dave

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:51 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: 100%hunter

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
You got that right, most everyone knows what kind of dog they have. You know if your dog is mean and if you choose to hunt a mean dog in the hunts, you should be the one getting banned. If your dog gets scratched 3 times in one year, it's not just bad luck, there is a good reason, it's mean period. I understand any dog may fight back and get scratched 1 time, but multiply times getting scratched proves a dog is aggressive. No hunter worth a nickel would knowingly hunt a mean dog with anyone elses dog. We have had more good young dogs ruined by mean dogs that the owner knew was mean and had no business hunting them or did not care who's dog they messed up. It's the owners fault and they should be banned. Dave

Dave you said you want one that won’t be bullied but you don’t want one to be mean ? By light breaking them your dog that is not putting up with being bullied is keeping from being scratched also. You go to the hunts hard this day and time your going to draw them. I know I have heard of 6 full blown dog fights that they have had to pull them apart this year and they were allowed just to withdraw. They don’t frown upon it anymore. That good ole boy chit went out the window a long time ago when there is thousands of $$$$$ on the line. If they ever see your dog do it once they will use it to get you out of the cast from then on.

I don’t want one I won’t feed one but I got paid good money to break them for the people that did want them lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-02-2019 01:15 AM
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

They better stay treed under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. I don’t care if it’s rough dogs, Coyotes, wild hogs or the devil himself when I tree mine in I expect to handle him every time. I would rather take my collars off of his carcass than take a tree minus because he was a coward.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Last edited by Team Mafia 2 on 12-02-2019 at 03:39 AM

Old Post 12-02-2019 01:18 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
They better stay treed under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. I don’t care if it’s rough dogs, Coyotes, wild hogs or the devil himself when I tree mine in I expect to handle him every time. I would rather take my collars off of his carcass than take a tree minus because he was a coward.
We're raising and training dogs to trail and tree coons. There should never be a reason for a dog to have to prove he's not a coward.

Old Post 12-02-2019 04:50 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2

I agree if they get treed I want them to stay. Just because they won’t be moved and ran off doesn’t mean they are rough.

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:02 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadinc
[B]We're raising and training dogs to trail and tree coons. There should never be a reason for a dog to have to prove he's not a coward. [/B

Do you have kids? If someone starts bullying your son pushing him around or hitting him what did you tell them to do. I have no kids but I know how I was raised. I was taught to stand up and defend myself. The same applies to a dog. I don’t want one that’s just mean and starts crap all the time but when one parks I want them to stay.

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I just rather go to the Dairy Queen and have a chocolate dipped cone.

Tar

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:17 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Johnnyreb

You know that us old Tennessee boys don't like to be pushed and shoved around. I will give anyone all the respect they deserve, but don't go trying to bully me around unless you are ready for a fight. I hate a mean dog, but I expect and want my dogs to defend themselves, and I will not correct them for taking their part. Woe unto my dog that starts a fight, they will get corrected by me. Dave

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:40 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Lol. You jnow that you are just like most of us, you love seeing a mean dog jump on the wrong dog and get its behind whipped, just like the school bully that tries the wrong kid and gets a whooping he deserves. Especially that sucker who tries to take over another dogs tree with fang action, only to find out that it's not the ALPHA dog it thought it was. Dave

Old Post 12-02-2019 12:49 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Story time lol

I probly told this one before back when we had judges for champion cast. I pleasure hunted regular with a little dog called troubles all the time face barken , hide pinchen little pain in the butt I had a dog called booger a lot down here will remember didn’t have a mean bone. Father in law told the man one of these nights booger is going to get tired of that and just like that it was on like donkey Kong booger shook him a loose and he never done him like that again.

Well on to the hunt I was the judge troubles drew a big Black and Tan named sun valley butch. Troubles weighed about 45 lbs when we got to the tree ole butch had troubles whole head in his mouth still treeing all 4 of troubles feet was off the ground. Well troubles withdrew they asked me what now ?

I said cut um loose boys lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-02-2019 01:31 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadinc
[B]We're raising and training dogs to trail and tree coons. There should never be a reason for a dog to have to prove he's not a coward. [/B

Do you have kids? If someone starts bullying your son pushing him around or hitting him what did you tell them to do. I have no kids but I know how I was raised. I was taught to stand up and defend myself. The same applies to a dog. I don’t want one that’s just mean and starts crap all the time but when one parks I want them to stay.

If it meant getting thrown out of school for the year and for life on your second offense I would tell him to walk away. If he could put a leash on and get away with it I would tell him to fight.

Old Post 12-02-2019 02:58 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote