UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Singling out a young dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Singling out a young dog

I have a 1.5 year old male out of a litter of mine. I didn’t own him up until he was around a year old. When he was young he would run and tree with the older dogs. Then he got laid up for a couple months before i got him back. Now with my older dogs he will get in there and take 1st and 1st almost every time. Will run the track like he wants to be in front. I cut him alone and he will hunt real slow usually not ranging out more than 300-400 unless he hits a track. Also, he tends to be a little junky when he’s alone but he hasn’t had much correction on this yet. He will run and tree his own coon if he ranges out far enough to hit a track. Think he just needs to be put in the woods a bunch by himself until he starts going hunting good? Seems to me like he has a lot of potential.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2019 02:33 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

At that age and exposure there is only one thing to do, take the dog hunting for 30 nights of good weather, keep a journal so you don't over shoot the good and undershoot the bad. If after 30 days, evaluate, and he is either doing it or not doing it on a consistent basis.

I really think over the years dogs have gotten too watered down because we as the owners want to take more and more responsibility and "giving them a chance"

I am all for a dog getting a chance, but years ago I read on there about your biggest regret in coonhunting and a fella who had seen and done it all posted "the wasted time on junk dogs" I had to experience it all for myself but now I totally agree. A decent to good coondog doesn't need a bunch of coaxing and secret training methods to go tree a coon. Once they have treed one, they know how to do it, from then on out its a honing of a skill and motivation. They either get good enough to keep around or not, thats the bottom line and that line is drawn by you.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 11-04-2019 05:08 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ashbaugh

I really think over the years dogs have gotten too watered down because we as the owners want to take more and more responsibility and "giving them a chance"

I am all for a dog getting a chance, but years ago I read on there about your biggest regret in coonhunting and a fella who had seen and done it all posted "the wasted time on junk dogs" I had to experience it all for myself but now I totally agree. A decent to good coondog doesn't need a bunch of coaxing and secret training methods to go tree a coon. Once they have treed one, they know how to do it, from then on out its a honing of a skill and motivation. They either get good enough to keep around or not, thats the bottom line and that line is drawn by you.

I totally agree...usually a 5 or 6 month old pup will show signs of making a good hunting dog one day...some will even show at a younger age...I want to see a pup on an expected learning curve...mostly a natural ability curve and all I need to do is give the proper exposure and guidance and the pup will do the rest...if they are not on that curve I usually won’t waste my time on them...

Old Post 11-05-2019 12:56 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Singling out a young dog

quote:
Originally posted by BradD20
I have a 1.5 year old male out of a litter of mine. I didn’t own him up until he was around a year old. When he was young he would run and tree with the older dogs. Then he got laid up for a couple months before i got him back. Now with my older dogs he will get in there and take 1st and 1st almost every time. Will run the track like he wants to be in front. I cut him alone and he will hunt real slow usually not ranging out more than 300-400 unless he hits a track. Also, he tends to be a little junky when he’s alone but he hasn’t had much correction on this yet. He will run and tree his own coon if he ranges out far enough to hit a track. Think he just needs to be put in the woods a bunch by himself until he starts going hunting good? Seems to me like he has a lot of potential.

I believe he has good potential as well...

Old Post 11-05-2019 01:00 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nsyd6
UKC Forum Member

Hunting

What about an older dog that was laid up. Put in good woods hunting out but still not getting struck.

Old Post 11-05-2019 04:16 AM
nsyd6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nsyd6 Click here to Send nsyd6 a Private Message Click Here to Email nsyd6 Find more posts by nsyd6 Add nsyd6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

No matter how much we read and post and theorize, coonhunting is a bottom line business. If you do your part and put the dog in a decent set of woods it either trees coons or it doesn't. Of course there are going to be bad nights and bad woods and circumstances, but on a regular basis they just flat out need to get it done.

Over the years I have been literally AMAZED at the difference in my perception of the coon population in my area based on what I had on the end of my leash. At times I wondered if they were near extinct and at times I wondered how so many could survive.

The absolute hardest part of coonhunting is finding a good prospect to mess with. Every "try" takes a year and those years add up quickly. The best advice anyone can give is AS SOON AS you see a quality in a pup that you don't like, move on, its expensive, its hard, and its hugely time consuming, but it just is what it is.

If you want to just go coonhunting, skip the pups, save the $1500 it would take you to buy and raise 1 a year for 3 years and find yourself a nice $5000 dog to go hunting with.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 11-05-2019 01:16 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
No matter how much we read and post and theorize, coonhunting is a bottom line business. If you do your part and put the dog in a decent set of woods it either trees coons or it doesn't. Of course there are going to be bad nights and bad woods and circumstances, but on a regular basis they just flat out need to get it done.

Over the years I have been literally AMAZED at the difference in my perception of the coon population in my area based on what I had on the end of my leash. At times I wondered if they were near extinct and at times I wondered how so many could survive.

The absolute hardest part of coonhunting is finding a good prospect to mess with. Every "try" takes a year and those years add up quickly. The best advice anyone can give is AS SOON AS you see a quality in a pup that you don't like, move on, its expensive, its hard, and its hugely time consuming, but it just is what it is.

If you want to just go coonhunting, skip the pups, save the $1500 it would take you to buy and raise 1 a year for 3 years and find yourself a nice $5000 dog to go hunting with.

wise

Old Post 11-05-2019 11:17 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

For me the most satisfying is creating my own line of dogs and then breeding to the very best that is related...then test the pups and keep four of the best pups at ten weeks and continue testing and working the pups and cull at one of the four at 6 months and then another at 8 or 9 months and then hang on to the last two and now I have a pair of super nice pups...and it just doesn’t get any better than that when we hunt what we raise...and it can only get better on the next generation and then the next...

There are three things that I think are or most importance...

1. Selecting the best dogs to breed

2. Selecting the best pups

3. Training and guiding the pups in helping them to become the best hunting dogs they can be...by doing the right things at the right times and minimizing or eliminating mistakes that can become major setbacks...

Old Post 11-06-2019 12:12 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
For me the most satisfying is creating my own line of dogs and then breeding to the very best that is related...then test the pups and keep four of the best pups at ten weeks and continue testing and working the pups and cull at one of the four at 6 months and then another at 8 or 9 months and then hang on to the last two and now I have a pair of super nice pups...and it just doesn’t get any better than that when we hunt what we raise...and it can only get better on the next generation and then the next...

3. Training and guiding the pups in helping them to become the best hunting dogs they can be...by doing the right things at the right times and minimizing or eliminating mistakes that can become major setbacks...

I only see 1 issue with your process. The majority of the time the "best" or "nicest" pup at 5-7 months won't always be the best dog of the litter. I have seen it first hand. A buddy had a nice litter, he kept 3 or 4 out of. Out of the whole litter the 1 pup didn't hardly do anything until she was 13 months old. But by 16 months she was extremely talented. She won the freshmen Superstakes at 16 months. And when I mean she wouldn't do hardly anything, she'd go timber cruising but that was it. He was about to give up on her when everything finally clicked. It was pretty amazing to see a young dog go from a zero to a hero in 3 or 4 months of hard hunting though.

And I've seen the best in a litter be the best of the pups. I don't make any decisions until 14-15 months old on who I keep or cull. And Jewels was and is the reason for that.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-06-2019 12:56 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Novicane65... of course you are right in it can happen as you said...
But I look at averages...while it can happen as you said and chances are the chance of that happening is in the low percentages and the chances of picking the best pups at the younger ages will usually go on to be good dogs...when a pup finds more treats in the yard on a consistent basis he will usually be a very good find dog one day...the 12 week old pup that is trailing in front of the other pups will usually lead the pack on the track when grown...

Many people will say things as you did and it is true...but I really don’t care about the one hit wonder...I want to stick with proven consistency...I feel that having late starters in
a breeding program will lower our percentages of producing high quality early starters...

Another thing people have said...early starters burn out and quit hunting...just because it happens now and then does not mean I will pick a pup that starts late over an early starter...I will never pick a late starter over an early starter...if I were to pick a pup that comes from late starters then I won’t know if he will ever start...and if he does and I decide to breed him or her then I will be producing pups that have a higher probability of producing the same...
Who wouldn’t want an early starter...they are exciting to have in the woods and to watch them do their thing...

The other day I saw an add...it said, selling a 4 month old pup cheap...she makes every step with my grown dog but is getting very trashy...Mt Cur x hound cross...selling because she is trashy...

I was thinking that is exactly the kind of pup that excites me...

Old Post 11-06-2019 01:47 AM
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

The age a dog will start depends a lot on breed and bloodlines. As much as handling in my opinion 50/50. I think you take 6 month old dog start hunting it. The dog will learn lead load haul and possible track and tree some. You take same dog start it at 12 months old and by time its 15 or 16 months old you couldnt tell differance in which you started early. I use try start them young now I just try get them exposed to creeks cattle fence the dark.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 11-06-2019 02:21 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

quote:

This is true

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 11-06-2019 02:22 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
The age a dog will start depends a lot on breed and bloodlines. As much as handling in my opinion 50/50. I think you take 6 month old dog start hunting it. The dog will learn lead load haul and possible track and tree some. You take same dog start it at 12 months old and by time its 15 or 16 months old you couldnt tell differance in which you started early. I use try start them young now I just try get them exposed to creeks cattle fence the dark.

I agree...the biggest thing about starting pups too early that I don’t like is when they start falling behind they get to barking every breath and that is the main reason I hold them back to a little later...

Yes different bloodlines and strains within any breed can start at different ages as you mentioned...

I like keeping more than one pup so I can mock hunt them together and then take them out alone once in a while...

Also you are right about start one young or start one at a year old and you won’t tell the difference at 14-16 months of age...while that is true I also believe in Epigenetics and teaching pup many positive things at a young age can only make them better...teach them to like the desired game at an early age...break them to gunfire at ten weeks and at 6 months break them off of deer etc...all this is easily done with the right pups...but it has to be done right for it to be easy...

Old Post 11-06-2019 09:03 AM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

I am sure this is a great and satisfying process, but to even a committed coon hunter this is just completely overwhelming and unrealistic. Most aren't starting with even one breeding worthy dog, or the knowledge to know what that is. Time, money, space, and even desire to raise 4 puppies at a time is a huge commitment for even the most experienced houndsman.

I have been at this on a hobby level for about 15-20 years and I will never have 2 pups the same age again in my life. I am just not cut out for that headache. Trust me all starting out coonhunters, pay the money, get a nice dog to hunt, and if your still into it in 5 years give a pup a shot. Coonhunting doesn't fit in a lot of today's lifestyle and hunting ground gets eaten up daily, don't waste your window of interest with junk dogs or pups that never make you happy.

Better yet, find someone to go with and hunt with their dogs. Lol....it's way easier and cheaper!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 11-06-2019 11:39 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I am sure this is a great and satisfying process, but to even a committed coon hunter this is just completely overwhelming and unrealistic. Most aren't starting with even one breeding worthy dog, or the knowledge to know what that is. Time, money, space, and even desire to raise 4 puppies at a time is a huge commitment for even the most experienced houndsman.

I have been at this on a hobby level for about 15-20 years and I will never have 2 pups the same age again in my life. I am just not cut out for that headache. Trust me all starting out coonhunters, pay the money, get a nice dog to hunt, and if your still into it in 5 years give a pup a shot. Coonhunting doesn't fit in a lot of today's lifestyle and hunting ground gets eaten up daily, don't waste your window of interest with junk dogs or pups that never make you happy.

Better yet, find someone to go with and hunt with their dogs. Lol....it's way easier and cheaper!

Truer words were never spoken.
Epigenetics isn’t even close to what you’ve been talking about for the past 15 years Reuben. If it were, you would have your “line” that you supposedly had years ago still intact. Or you would have a good line already again.
The problem with dogs of today, are people feeding hides and meat to pups and all these high end training “experts” and not enough hunting and culling. 25 years ago good dogs caught game without my training or help, the culls never were worth a dang. Tonight, good dogs will catch game and the culls will “need more or better training”. I’ve seen 100’s if not a thousand dogs and not one that was trained to be a better game catching dog. Seen a lot with better handling and high numbers of voice commands but not one ever trained or imprinted into a good game catcher. Dogs are no different than any other living thing, they are born what they are genetically, their environment will effect their development to some degree but most will be what they are by nature. You can fight it all you want, but I don’t consider a dog that’s 60% accurate a success on the trainers part. I don’t consider it a success when you have dogs racehorse through the country like chickens with their heads cut off running trash and then falling off treed on a coon cause their owners aren’t honest enough or smart enough to know the difference. Nature can not and will not be tamed, you better find a dog that wants to tree game and does it naturally without any gimmicks or training needed. And no, I don’t agree that the pup that finds food scraps first at 6 weeks old will lead the way at 6 months. That is scientific proof of more Internet forum hunting than actual hunting experience. More times than not, pups will flip flop at different times as they develop. Just like some will grow out better on different nutrition or develop mentally due to each persons ability to stimulate their minds. It’s a real simple process but us humans have to over complicate everything. Hunt pups that have the desire and catch game. Cull the junk that needs expert training. Stop trading dogs around and start being responsible for your own yard and what comes out of it. I’ve sold 3 trained dogs in my life that I considered good enough to have my name attached to them but not what I really considered exceptional. They are now legends in the areas I sold them to and men call weekly wanting more. That tells me most people have never seen good dogs and most people think they are mass produced and easily had. If I sold those 3 for time and material nobody on earth could afford them. You cull through to a good prospect and you both work yourselves to the bone and the product will be pretty reliable. But it won’t come cheap or easy and there are no shortcuts.

Old Post 11-06-2019 02:44 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Ghost14...
Epigenetics is very real...as I have said before it is nothing and has been around since beginning of time...the only difference is that now scientists are starting to study and learn about how things work in many different fields...matter of fact scientists from all over the world are performing research...the research isn’t about or for dogs but we can apply using our common sense and how it applies to mammals in general...

Epigenetics will not make a cull great but it will improve it but it is still a cull...it will take a pup with great potential and make it go to a higher level of potential...great dog men already practice this through proper exposure to pup in its environment but but it isn’t called epigenetics but it is a form of it...

I do have good dogs but you are right...they are not at the level of my old line of dogs...my old line reproduced a high percentage of top performers that hunted and worked how I liked...
The dogs I have now I can’t say they are top reproducers or that they reproducer a high percentage of top performers for several reasons...the biggest thing is many of the dogs I have bought have been culls...luckily I have met someone who does have good dogs and we are working together in producing better dogs...

Another thing is I do not get to hunt as I did in years past or work my pups as I did once upon a time...

On testing pups I haven’t been wrong in picking excellent pups and yes they tend to be the better dogs when grown...if you don’t test your pups like most breeders then you really can’t say for sure that it doesn’t work...

I also agree that most folks don’t cull enough and that is a major problem I see...I have bought dogs for a good price and have culled them and just move on...

The bottom line for me has been the same for many years...if I want good dogs I need to breed my own...

Old Post 11-07-2019 02:00 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Singling out a young dog

quote:
Originally posted by BradD20

the way you're describing this young hound is what is call a young inexperienced hound. If you haven't hunted him for 30 nights I'd suggest you do and keep a journal on his performance. And be honest with what you see after 30 nights. If there's not much improvement on his part then the cards aren't in his favor but I'd say he just lacks the confidence to go tree a coon alone.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-07-2019 09:01 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote