UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How much progress is expected starting a pup alone?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

How much progress is expected starting a pup alone?

Im wondering how everybody who starts pups alone with out older dog expects their pup to be progressing?
My 1 year old blue female I started with basic obedience, then shown her 2 caged coon. Then I went too drags ran into problems of her not barking if she could see them so put a stop too them. I have been walk hunting for about 5 months 1-3 days a week. She has treed twice and just started opening on track will hunt anywhere from 100-700 yards depending on the night. Where would y'all expect your pup to be hunting wise at this age?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-16-2018 06:12 PM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KevinP
Banned

Mine at a year will be running and treeing alone by a year. Not perfect, but I go tree coon with them alone

Old Post 04-16-2018 06:32 PM
KevinP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KevinP Click here to Send KevinP a Private Message Find more posts by KevinP Add KevinP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I had a couple I was putting in the hunts at that age. Years ago, had 1 that was a Nite Ch. and still a puppy. But have seen a bunch more that weren't nearly that advanced. I mostly expect one to show some improvement month to month. They don't all mature at the same rate so you just have to look at the individual's progress instead of comparing them. As a guy I know keeps saying (and I'm tired of it by the way) a dog is still a puppy until it turns 2. Don't give up on one too soon.

Old Post 04-17-2018 02:23 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

1-3 nights a week for 5 months and all you got to shine is 2 trees? Son, you are tougher than I'll ever even think about being. I'd be moving on.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-17-2018 02:33 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pollard_247
UKC Forum Member

I've started 3 feeders with cat food last night as a last resort im hopeing she will get some thing clicking I've also thought about letting a caged coon out in a cutover and let her run it. She's my first hound that's my own and everybody says just be patient and that blueticks start later.

Old Post 04-17-2018 02:48 AM
Pollard_247 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollard_247 Click here to Send Pollard_247 a Private Message Click Here to Email Pollard_247 Find more posts by Pollard_247 Add Pollard_247 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

That very well could be. I never started one.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-17-2018 03:59 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

blueticks don't start later than any other breed.

Old Post 04-17-2018 01:46 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

sounds like you have put in more effort than most will do so don't beat yourself up over the dog not making more progress. i would try turning it loose with some experienced dogs yet and if there is no signs of improvement move on to your next project. some don't make the cut and the next one may start right off.

Old Post 04-17-2018 02:00 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

First of all, I don't think I'd pay attention to everyone whose dog started running and treeing at 7 or 8 months old. Everyone on here knows pups are different. I think I'd be more consistent in hunting at minimum 3 nights a week. You'll know when it's time to keep hunting her, or time to move on. Patience is a virtue.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 04-17-2018 03:11 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

It's all up too you, if you can put up with just walking around hoping the dog is just one day will click that's up too you. When you no longer care to go it maybe time to move on... But until then keep plugging along. No coondog has ever been made by just sitting in the pen that's an undeniable fact, it takes time and boot leather. I don't care about how old a dog is when it starts I've seen dogs that started early turn into junk and I've seen late bloomers turn into coon dogs. The fact that no one agrees on what exactly a 'coondog ' is intriguing. There are a lot of very wise men and not so wise men ready to tell you what they think should be going on. You are the only one who actually knows the dog and hunts it so it doesn't really matter. The ball is in your court.

But with that being said if I don't see some type of improvement over a couple months I'll then get tired of it and move on. DP's comment rang true to me and indeed patience is a virtue. Best of luck to you.

Old Post 04-17-2018 04:06 PM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

You have to take each pup for what they are and work with them. Some pups can be started like you are trying, but most of those pups are pretty gamey. Hunt hard, run trash that kind of thing. Spending that much time walking one that isnt getting it done is teaching it that its ok to just walk along with you. Those kind of pups would benefit from a older dog.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-17-2018 07:23 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fatherof4
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dbpro56
First of all, I don't think I'd pay attention to everyone whose dog started running and treeing at 7 or 8 months old. Everyone on here knows pups are different. I think I'd be more consistent in hunting at minimum 3 nights a week. You'll know when it's time to keep hunting her, or time to move on. Patience is a virtue.

I agree 100%. Right and wrong are often just opinions. As long as you are happy, then keep on your journey and enjoy watching your pup improve. And remember this, the dog is not the only one learning when you unsnap the leash.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Old Post 04-20-2018 06:00 PM
fatherof4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatherof4 Click here to Send fatherof4 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatherof4 Find more posts by fatherof4 Add fatherof4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote