UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > coon squaller
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

coon squaller

Is a $50 squaller really any better or more efficient than a $15-$20 squaller? What one works best?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-2021 05:07 AM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Squallers

In my opinion a $50 Squaller is NOT any better than a $12 Squaller. I have had Great Results from my Boss Squaller and also from my Mity Max.
Several years ago at Autumn Oaks I bought one of those "Lifetime" Squallers and by that November it was freeezing up on me, the "Maker" offered to fix it or replace it if I sent it back but Never Offered to just send a New One first......It was Junk and I have Never bought another one and actually it made me shy away from owning another. Its a Pain in the Rear to have to go to the Post Office and Mail a Defective piece of Crap back.....Much easier to just Buy a Good One and a different Brand definitely. So I Bought me a Boss one and have used it flawlessly for 8 years.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 06-18-2021 at 07:12 PM

Old Post 06-18-2021 01:11 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

I made a home made squaller for under 2.00.
Had coon look on first few seconds and some bouncing around in trees like those 50 ones.
My secret LOL

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 06-18-2021 08:35 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You probably but some screws in a can. That metal sound gets them every time.

Old Post 06-18-2021 08:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
You probably but some screws in a can. That metal sound gets them every time.

Nope .LOL It sounds just like an honest to goodness store bought squaller . Fits in my jeans pocket. Made two. One sounds like older coon. One sounds like a kitten

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 06-18-2021 10:15 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate the comments. Anyone tried the "Eye Opener" ?

Old Post 06-19-2021 02:28 AM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Zepp
UKC Forum Member

Hello Crooked Ridge!

There are a lot of good coon squallers made by super fine guys out there. I have been selling them for almost 20 years now, which is hard to believe, and fiddling with them and other calls for most of my life which is what got me into the business. Sometimes coons come flying out of the tree with the first “toot” and sometimes you can’t get them to look if it meant all of the money in the world. I am still learning. Kevin Rainwater, Shane Maxey and Josh Michales and others in the game are all good guys and I always enjoy my conversations with them. The coon squaller “King”, Mr. Timothy Ball passed recently and was fine, fine man. He always had a smile on his face, a twinkle in his eye and a firm handshake.

I am sure the “Eye Opener” is a good squaller and will work for you. Like Bruce said, shaking a metal can of nuts and bolts can work, beating a cooking pan with a wooden spoon can work. Some squallers are $50 and some are $5. Like everything in life there are deluxe models and plain models with different features and made of different materials.

I do make a Lifetime Con Squaller that sells well and has a Lifetime warranty. I am a big fella and wear big shoes, bigger than most so my shoe boxes are big ones. We moved two years ago and I threw out three shoe boxes of old aluminum coon squallers that I replaced for customers over the years who sent them in to me to replace. They were competitors products and not made by us. I don’t think any of these people were trying to maliciously do anything wrong and it is just part of being in business but at some point I decided to warranty only the coon squalers we manufacture instead of others. I have had folk at hunts tell me, “Your squaller is the best one I ever used” only to have them pull out a competitors product and have to tell them, “I can’t take credit for that one.” I have always tried to right thing but can’t satisfy everyone.

On 8/6/18 a fella by the name of Triple K complained about my Lifetime Coon Squaller on this forum and in other posts mentioned he was going to Autumn Oaks. I sent him a pm and told him to simply bring the squaller to Oaks since he was going to be there and I would replace it for him as I have done for many fine folks over the years at various hunts I attend throughout the United States. I have no issues or problems with him or anyone else at this stage in my life.

The notes from that pm were exactly:

quote:
Mark Zepp wrote on 08-06-2018 04:43 PM:
You are welcome to stop by, just remind me who you are and I will give you another one to try.
Sometimes the reeds last for years and years and other times they just don't do well. Once the tip cracks they go to he.. pretty quickly from there.

Warmest regards - Big Mark

Re: Squaller
Sounds Good Mark.....Thanks....👍
Tim

Anyone that has a problem with anything I have ever sold them over the years is always welcome to bring it to my attention and I always do my best to make it right.

I hope to be Autumn Oaks again this year with COVID restrictions lifting. I have missed three of them in the last thirty five years or so. Because of my size folks tell me I am easy to find and hard to miss! 😊 I look forward to seeing all of you there.

Good Hunting!

Old Post 06-20-2021 12:59 PM
Mark Zepp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Zepp Click here to Send Mark Zepp a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Zepp Find more posts by Mark Zepp Add Mark Zepp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

One thing about squallers. It is like a lot of others things in life. The person using it has to have confidence in it. You have to practice, learn how to make different sounds with it and then apply what you learned. Nothing replaces confidence in a product or dog. But there is also a reality in life. All these coons react differently when treed. A coon that has pressure put on it and climbed a tree it didn't want to be in. Will in my opinion react quicker to a smaller. Move around more and even jump out. A laid up sleeping coon. will react differently. But your confidence in what you learned over the years using a squaller. Can make things go you way.

Old Post 06-20-2021 01:30 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

I really appreciate the responses to my question. I don't post on here often, but have told my friends that if I need to know something dog related or something about a related product, this is my go to. There are very knowledgeable people on here that I put a lot in to what they have to say. Thanks again Jack

Old Post 06-20-2021 01:40 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Zepp
Hello Crooked Ridge!

There are a lot of good coon squallers made by super fine guys out there. I have been selling them for almost 20 years now, which is hard to believe, and fiddling with them and other calls for most of my life which is what got me into the business. Sometimes coons come flying out of the tree with the first “toot” and sometimes you can’t get them to look if it meant all of the money in the world. I am still learning. Kevin Rainwater, Shane Maxey and Josh Michales and others in the game are all good guys and I always enjoy my conversations with them. The coon squaller “King”, Mr. Timothy Ball passed recently and was fine, fine man. He always had a smile on his face, a twinkle in his eye and a firm handshake.

I am sure the “Eye Opener” is a good squaller and will work for you. Like Bruce said, shaking a metal can of nuts and bolts can work, beating a cooking pan with a wooden spoon can work. Some squallers are $50 and some are $5. Like everything in life there are deluxe models and plain models with different features and made of different materials.

I do make a Lifetime Con Squaller that sells well and has a Lifetime warranty. I am a big fella and wear big shoes, bigger than most so my shoe boxes are big ones. We moved two years ago and I threw out three shoe boxes of old aluminum coon squallers that I replaced for customers over the years who sent them in to me to replace. They were competitors products and not made by us. I don’t think any of these people were trying to maliciously do anything wrong and it is just part of being in business but at some point I decided to warranty only the coon squalers we manufacture instead of others. I have had folk at hunts tell me, “Your squaller is the best one I ever used” only to have them pull out a competitors product and have to tell them, “I can’t take credit for that one.” I have always tried to right thing but can’t satisfy everyone.

On 8/6/18 a fella by the name of Triple K complained about my Lifetime Coon Squaller on this forum and in other posts mentioned he was going to Autumn Oaks. I sent him a pm and told him to simply bring the squaller to Oaks since he was going to be there and I would replace it for him as I have done for many fine folks over the years at various hunts I attend throughout the United States. I have no issues or problems with him or anyone else at this stage in my life.

The notes from that pm were exactly:

quote:
Mark Zepp wrote on 08-06-2018 04:43 PM:
You are welcome to stop by, just remind me who you are and I will give you another one to try.
Sometimes the reeds last for years and years and other times they just don't do well. Once the tip cracks they go to he.. pretty quickly from there.

Warmest regards - Big Mark

Re: Squaller
Sounds Good Mark.....Thanks....👍
Tim

Anyone that has a problem with anything I have ever sold them over the years is always welcome to bring it to my attention and I always do my best to make it right.

I hope to be Autumn Oaks again this year with COVID restrictions lifting. I have missed three of them in the last thirty five years or so. Because of my size folks tell me I am easy to find and hard to miss! 😊 I look forward to seeing all of you there.

Good Hunting!

Mark
No Hard feelings here on my part. I know you are a man of your word and a Nice Guy that Sells Good Products. I havent been to Autumn Oaks in 4 or 5 years and not sure about any future Visits.....Maybe this year....Maybe Not.
Bottom line is I dont care about a $20 Squaller.....I was only stating my Experiences with the ones I have bought and used. I was disappointed that your Squaller didnt last even 2 Months and probably just got a Lemon ( My Luck...🙄 )......I have about 6 Squallers hanging in my Garage that are Worthless and I should just Trash them........then I have the Boss & Mighty Max on my Dan's Competition Vest and thats what I use. I am sure there are others being made that are Great.....But these 2 have Never failed me in the 8+ years I have had them.....So thats what I use.
Take Care
Tim
765-244-7028

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 06-20-2021 at 02:30 PM

Old Post 06-20-2021 02:01 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

The cold hard fact is that Coon squallers with metal reeds are not going to differ very much from each other as far as effectiveness. They just aren't. If you do buy one with the stock reeds that most makers use make sure they are easy to change. Because those reeds break. Often. If the call is done right they are also cheap and easy to change out.

Yes there are plenty of squallers worth $50 and up if you consider the time and money that it makes to build it. There are also other calls that sell for $50 that could be replicated with a piece of PVC and a $3 worth of reeds.

None of them will work if you don't practice and understand how to maintain them.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 06-20-2021 at 05:09 PM

Old Post 06-20-2021 05:06 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Is a $1000 guitar better than a $50 guitar? Only if you know how to play a guitar.

Old Post 06-21-2021 03:29 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote