UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Excuse my ignorance but...
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

What I think is absolutely hilarious is the fact that you guys (majority on here) tried to tell me and a few others a dog can't work a track at 13 or 14 mph let alone hunt at that speed. Now here's a guy saying the average dog can run 28 mph. Which maybe true but the dog obviously can't work a track at that speed. Must be fast game involved or strictly sight chasing but can't make the coon climb or whatever it's chasing won't climb.

Just give the electric therapy to old Phido on them races. 1 of 2 things is going to happen. Either 1 he'll get broke from them bean and corn fields. Or 2 you'll break him from coons.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-24-2020 07:21 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Excuse my ignorance but...

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Every early fall on here I read about the bean fields and corn fields in Indiana and Ohio and what a problem folks have getting their dogs out of them. Someone please explain this to me. We have bean, corn and cotton fields in Alabama and I can't see the problem with coonhunting around them or in them. Explain the problem to me.

My .02 on the subject some may agree and some may disagree. I think a lot of dogs get stuck because they switch tracks. They will get struck and start running then they come across another track and switch to it. Whether that’s in a 40acre or 400 acres of beans or corn. I also agree with the people that say it’s because a coon can move easier through knee high beans or a mature corn field. I myself like a dog that has the brains to run the edges instead of diving into the middle of a 200 acre bean or cornfield.

Old Post 10-24-2020 07:28 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I've been coonhunting since 1973 and those 2 or 3 hr. races ALWAYS ended up being deer races in those fields. Sometimes they would fall off and tree a coon around the edge but the long race was usually a deer.

We have as many deer as we do coon, I have never seen a deer run up and down corn rows, or all around a bean field. Deer move out and fast. Only time they don't go a mile away is a doe with a fawn. Then she will circle around a woods. I can tell you in every woods I hunt where the deer will go if being chased buy a dog. It will very some based on what crops are planted where.

You every want to see what kind of dirty tricks a coon can play sit on a log at the edge a corn field on a moon lit nite and watch.

Old Post 10-24-2020 09:15 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
What I think is absolutely hilarious is the fact that you guys (majority on here) tried to tell me and a few others a dog can't work a track at 13 or 14 mph let alone hunt at that speed. Now here's a guy saying the average dog can run 28 mph. Which maybe true but the dog obviously can't work a track at that speed. Must be fast game involved or strictly sight chasing but can't make the coon climb or whatever it's chasing won't climb.

Just give the electric therapy to old Phido on them races. 1 of 2 things is going to happen. Either 1 he'll get broke from them bean and corn fields. Or 2 you'll break him from coons.

The ones that can average hunting at 10+ mph are the exception not the rule. There’s not one alive that’s going to average 28 mph in a corn or bean field. I would say the majority wouldn’t average over 5mph hunting.

Old Post 10-24-2020 10:12 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Do y'all REALLY believe that coons play dirty tricks on dogs?

Old Post 10-24-2020 10:30 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I've seen enough to know that dogs are dogs and coons are smarter than most think. I've seen some things that would make you scratch your head on exactly how smart a coon can be. You ever seen a coon back track itself 30-40 yards, literally walking in the same paw/foot prints going backwards towards the dog to jump to a tree. Or how about a coon that timbers out like a squirrel crossing from tree to tree for several hundred yards?

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 10-24-2020 10:55 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
The ones that can average hunting at 10+ mph are the exception not the rule. There’s not one alive that’s going to average 28 mph in a corn or bean field. I would say the majority wouldn’t average over 5mph hunting.

oh I'd say the average dog only hunts at 3-4 mph. And I most certainly agree there probably isn't 1 alive that could avg 20+ in beans. Corn the dog might hit double digits but not for an extended period of time.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 10-24-2020 10:57 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes, I have seen them. I would have swore that dogs were running a fox or rabbit round and around in a thicket one night during a comp hunt until the coon passed by us with the dogs 20 yds behind it. The coon eventually came out of the thicket when it got tired of playing with the dogs and went in a rock hole. If I hadn't seen the coon plainly with my own eyes, I would have bet money that they were running a fox.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-25-2020 at 03:09 PM

Old Post 10-25-2020 03:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I used to go up to Wisconsin and hunt every year. We would cut directly into the middle of a standing corn field instead of down the side or around the edge. They said that the coon were in the corn, not around the edge. A buddy from up there had a dog that was hunted in the corn fields all of her life. She was wide open on track when trailing but when she shut up you knew that she was fixing to catch the coon. She would trail in those huge corn fields for 10-15 min but when she went silent she would catch the coon in 2-3 min. I have seen and heard some awful fights when 3-4 dogs catch a 25-30 lb mean ass boar coon in a standing corn field. When you get to them, they will have a 10 ft circle cleared out without a stalk standing.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-25-2020 at 03:22 PM

Old Post 10-25-2020 03:19 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I used to go up to Wisconsin and hunt every year. We would cut directly into the middle of a standing corn field instead of down the side or around the edge. They said that the coon were in the corn, not around the edge. A buddy from up there had a dog that was hunted in the corn fields all of her life. She was wide open on track when trailing but when she shut up you knew that she was fixing to catch the coon. She would trail in those huge corn fields for 10-15 min but when she went silent she would catch the coon in 2-3 min. I have seen and heard some awful fights when 3-4 dogs catch a 25-30 lb mean ass boar coon in a standing corn field. When you get to them, they will have a 10 ft circle cleared out without a stalk standing.
I can 100 percent see this, but that's a lot different than running a hot race for 2 and 3 hrs.in corn field.

Old Post 10-25-2020 05:40 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Only way I know to explain is that There are dogs that have won plenty, and are good coon hounds otherwise, that will run in the corn or beans at certain times of year and look bad.

Old Post 10-25-2020 07:49 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Only way I know to explain is that There are dogs that have won plenty, and are good coon hounds otherwise, that will run in the corn or beans at certain times of year and look bad.

I’ve seen the same thing happen. What do you attribute that too?

Old Post 10-25-2020 10:31 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
I’ve seen the same thing happen. What do you attribute that too?

I attribute it to the type of dog. Every dog has holes, even good ones. Some of the good ones have a knack for staying in the corn or beans too long, so that is one of their holes.

People overthink things.

Old Post 10-25-2020 11:35 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I can 100 percent see this, but that's a lot different than running a hot race for 2 and 3 hrs.in corn field.

I am not saying that a dog won't run a fox or coyote in a corn field but some coons also like to run instead of climb. I guess that they think it is fun.

Old Post 10-26-2020 12:01 AM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I'm confused. I've only been coon hunting since 1960. If you see the coon cross a road 3 times and never see a deer, is it still a deer?
that's pretty funny rite there, I guess some boys think if it ain't happened to them it must not be true......lol

Old Post 10-26-2020 02:50 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

A person should not comment on things he's never seen. If you tell me your dog can play a piano, I won't form a opinion until I go to his piano recital.

Old Post 10-26-2020 04:44 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Here's something most have not seen before, a 20 sec vid of a possum putting a billy goat move on what looks like
a skunk

https://youtu.be/G_tL5R8lIL0

Old Post 10-26-2020 09:41 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Now I have seen something I've never seen before!!! And I loved it...lol

Old Post 10-26-2020 09:44 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

This is one is pretty good also

https://youtu.be/ltjKDNxLS9Y

Old Post 10-26-2020 09:57 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I'll bet if the dogs caught that in a corn field you could tell what it was! Lol

Old Post 10-26-2020 10:36 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I bet this coon would give a good corn field chase
https://youtu.be/rp_gGTiUWu8

Old Post 10-28-2020 11:45 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Beaver upright carrying mud

https://youtu.be/bHobnsdIr6k

Old Post 12-22-2020 05:53 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I have seen those races that go forever in my neck of the woods and know for 100% it was a coon. These were fast dogs too that ran track with their head up.

The coon has the advantage in the thick stuff, just like a mouse has the advantage on the fox in thick stuff.

I remember one night a coon ran for an hour or two in August in a corn field. The treed it and when we got to the tree the dogs were laying down treeing and the coon was up on the first big limb panting with it's tongue out like a dog.

I seen coon do that to a dog and as soon as it came out into a clear woods bam coon caught on the ground.

I seen them run them a while and catch them in the corn.

In my area as a general rule if it hit the 20 minute mark it was not going to climb it was gonna be caught on the ground or get in the ground.

I have always thought that the coons that didn't climb were not local coons, just drawn in to the corn but its just a guess.

And yes I'm talking seeing the dang coon during the race, having it come by us a few times and the dogs coming out with no hair around their eyes having to lay them up for a few days due to eye swelling and drainage.

As for all the folks claiming they are just trashing cause THEY never seen anything like that. I have a nice story. I remember a bigtime competition hunter and breeder that is friends with me. It just made no sense to him that we broke our dogs from treeing in the ground. He said that's where the coon went that's where he wanted his dogs to tree. Well in our neck of the woods the whole mountain is hollow. I have shot coon out and they bounce once and get in the ground before the dogs could catch it. He just didn't believe coon lived in the ground and it was so rare that they treed in the ground he couldn't understand it.

Fast forward a couple of years and he called me. Said he understood it all now. The RQE was in my area. He spent all night going to ground holes (half of our coon there denned in the ground) while a local dog broke off holes located the holes and went on striping them cause he would end up on a tree. All three of the other dogs would be treeing a hole. They all got circle but the dog that located the hole and went on kept his strike open and treed coon on the outside while they were dragging dogs out of holes all night.

Just because he had never seen it he didn't know what we were dealing with in our area. He never said he didn't believe us but the phone call made me think he may have thought that and felt guilty after learning the hard way LOL.

Last edited by Rip on 12-23-2020 at 04:57 AM

Old Post 12-23-2020 04:51 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Ya'll are forgetting something. If a coon runs down a single row (as in a panic) a dog can catch it quickly. But every time he turns out of a row into the next row the dog makes a momentary loss and the coon can run a long time like that.

Old Post 12-23-2020 04:29 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I don't understand what the size of the fields have to do with the dogs and the coons.
evidently you never been in a 300 acre cornfield after 20 sets of coon tracks if you got a hound that can pick out a track and bring it out of there and tree it you really have something no one else has. Some dogs learn to run the edges and tree the ones already up.

Old Post 12-24-2020 05:54 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote