UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Performance Programs needed improvements:
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wjoey
But with AQHA you get a lot more money for your effort, but like they say if you wana make money follow it and its surely not with dogs or at lest not on the receiving end.

I don't think you do..

In 2014 AQHA paid out $2.1 Million. But the point value was $17.41 for owner of shown animals, and $13.86 for stallion owners.

I don't know if you show horses or not...but entry fees are north of $50.00 per class, and in most shows you have to rent a $100 a day stall....

There is NO money in the AQHA incentive fund.....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2017 12:46 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is interest waning? Are Sire enrollments decreasing? Are litter nominations decreasing? Are buyers no longer demanding that pups be Performance eligible? Since the point value is decreasing, it would seem that the number of dogs and people earning money is increasing. I guess that they need to decide if it is better for more people to get less money or fewer people get more money.
Of course, everyone wants more money but someone's going to have to pay for it in the end. If you increase Sire enrollment fees, then breeders will have to increase stud fees. If you increase litter enrollment fees, then pup prices will go up.

Old Post 01-20-2017 12:55 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Is interest waning? Are Sire enrollments decreasing? Are litter nominations decreasing? Are buyers no longer demanding that pups be Performance eligible? Since the point value is decreasing, it would seem that the number of dogs and people earning money is increasing. I guess that they need to decide if it is better for more people to get less money or fewer people get more money.
Of course, everyone wants more money but someone's going to have to pay for it in the end. If you increase Sire enrollment fees, then breeders will have to increase stud fees. If you increase litter enrollment fees, then pup prices will go up.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, No. Hunt numbers are down nationwide. Stud fees & pup prices have been stagnant for 20 years if those prices are raised some to offset slightly higher fees that should be acceptable.

Old Post 01-20-2017 02:05 AM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
I don't think you do..

In 2014 AQHA paid out $2.1 Million. But the point value was $17.41 for owner of shown animals, and $13.86 for stallion owners.

I don't know if you show horses or not...but entry fees are north of $50.00 per class, and in most shows you have to rent a $100 a day stall....

There is NO money in the AQHA incentive fund.....

I received a check for $4785 in 2014 $5658 in 2012 and one in 2009 for $8610 of coarse that was with the 2 time AQHA horse of the year and a world champion so tell me a coon hound that got paid that much, sure its more expensive to show horses but a good one will make 100x more than a world champion coon dog, we averaged spending $1000 to $1500 at weekend end shows and brought home anywhere from 0 to $6k so I know the Show Horse world very well. I'm looking for another winner right now as legend and rebel passed away.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 01-20-2017 12:26 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I received a check for $4785 in 2014 $5658 in 2012 and one in 2009 for $8610 of coarse that was with the 2 time AQHA horse of the year and a world champion so tell me a coon hound that got paid that much, sure its more expensive to show horses but a good one will make 100x more than a world champion coon dog, we averaged spending $1000 to $1500 at weekend end shows and brought home anywhere from 0 to $6k so I know the Show Horse world very well. I'm looking for another winner right now as legend and rebel passed away.
Holy cow!! You spent up to $1500 a weekend and sometimes brought home $0? How many w-ends did you show in 2014 to receive $4785 was it more than 4? The Pkc world champion pays $30,000 every year..

Last edited by H.W. Moore on 01-20-2017 at 01:38 PM

Old Post 01-20-2017 01:32 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ohh HW only one minor detail you left out how many dogs do you got to beat to win it I never could get past the three I drew lol.

Old Post 01-20-2017 01:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
....we averaged spending $1000 to $1500 at weekend end shows...

And that is why I quit showing horses and started hunting coonhounds.

Old Post 01-20-2017 02:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

I ain't never made it to the finals either, but I've won some $. Made it to the finals of the SS and semi finals a couple times. Surely he won more than that with a world champion quarter horse, Bone has won more than that on a w-end several times..

Old Post 01-20-2017 02:22 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

PKC hunters hunt for the money or at least the dream of winning the money. UKC hunters do it for different reasons. The Performance Program was not set up to make anyone rich. It is just a little bonus to maybe win back your entry fee. Everyone knows that if you want to win big money, you have to hunt big PKC hunts.

Old Post 01-20-2017 03:01 PM
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

Most competition hunters hunt to compete. When Ukc didn't have any competition they didn't need any programs to compete. Send us $ and we'll send you paperwork and give titles to repeat winners. Fast forward to now and you got 3 registries fighting for business in a shrinking market. 2 offer instant cash winnings that will increase yearly. 1 offers a year end payout that decreases yearly. Ukc still gives titles but with current attendance what's their value?

Old Post 01-20-2017 03:18 PM
wjoey
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by H.W. Moore
Holy cow!! You spent up to $1500 a weekend and sometimes brought home $0? How many w-ends did you show in 2014 to receive $4785 was it more than 4? The Pkc world champion pays $30,000 every year.. [/QUOTE

Every weekend , very seldom came home with zero but it happens ,but got to remember the money that came from breeding and our foal crops too, all our checks were from our stallion and foal crop that won it takes money to make money, you will spend close to $800 guaranteed if you go to the winter classic and you wont make a nickel.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 01-20-2017 at 06:44 PM

Old Post 01-20-2017 06:29 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
And that is why I quit showing horses and started hunting coonhounds.
You can fall off a pony but not a redbone lol

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Old Post 01-20-2017 06:30 PM
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by H.W. Moore
Holy cow!! You spent up to $1500 a weekend and sometimes brought home $0? How many w-ends did you show in 2014 to receive $4785 was it more than 4? The Pkc world champion pays $30,000 every year.. [/QUOTE

Every weekend , very seldom came home with zero but it happens ,but got to remember the money that came from breeding and our foal crops too, all our checks were from our stallion and foal crop that won it takes money to make money, you will spend close to $800 guaranteed if you go to the winter classic and you wont make a nickel.

I don't know much about horses, but like the economic side of anything. If you attend 26 shows a year at an average of $1250 a show that's $32,500 and get an incentive check for $4-8k do you make the $24-28k back on studs & foals yearly? What's the typical cost of a consistent winner should you purchase 1?

Old Post 01-20-2017 07:35 PM
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by H.W. Moore
In 1995 I purchased a Chevy ex- cab 4x4 for just over $18,000 put $.97 gas in it and drove to Kentucky and bought a well bred pup for $250. I purchased a 2016 Chevy recently for $37,000 and can put $2.21 gas in it and go to Kentucky and still buy a well bred pup for $250. There's a financial reason lights, dog boxes, boots, tracking systems, and feed are 50%+/- higher and stud fees, pups, and finished dogs are about the same.

I purchased a 2000 Toyota tocoma with 9,000 in 2001 for $13,750 and I'm still driving it! You should have invested more wisely. I'm just kidding. In my opinion the performance program is nothing more than a gimmick where UKC can make a few more dollars off of the hunter. Here is my experience with the performance program.

I have never seen a dime from the performance program despite paying up 6 pups and buying a female that was paid up. Three of the paid up pups turned out to be duds. One of them died. The female we bought won some cast and made Nt Ch and I felt like we should have saw a few dollars off of her but didn't. We bought one pup and made him a Nt Ch but we forgot to paying him up before he turned 9 months old. Currently we have two 15 month old males we are training that I would wager pretty high on that they will make Gr Nt Ch. Neither of them are performance pups because their sire is not a performance sire. I just paid up 2 six month old pups and if I don't see a return on these pups I'm done with the program.

I would bet most people's experience with the program is the same as mine and that is why it is failing

Old Post 01-20-2017 08:01 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by H.W. Moore
I don't know much about horses, but like the economic side of anything. If you attend 26 shows a year at an average of $1250 a show that's $32,500 and get an incentive check for $4-8k do you make the $24-28k back on studs & foals yearly? What's the typical cost of a consistent winner should you purchase 1?
we got lucky with the one that done all the winning , I stole him for 6k and turned down a whole lot more, one of his caliber will cost you and are rare that's why I don't have one right now, always the next foal crop looking for a winner, good breed foals will cost around 6-150k depending on breeding color and conformation , just like any sport your not gona get rich doing it you just have to love it and have a little luck, one thing about those two horses they paid income taxes every year and those kind are hard to find.If your going to the winter classic look me up I will be looking at horses all week there

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 01-21-2017 at 12:23 AM

Old Post 01-21-2017 12:20 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, I just saw where they have more than 900 entries for the UKC Winter Classic. How much money are they paying out there? What in the world is motivating all of those people to spend all of that money to hunt in it? How many dogs will they hunt at the PKC Winter Classic on Fri and Sat night where all of that money motivates them?

Old Post 01-21-2017 03:29 PM
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Oh my goodness, I just saw where they have more than 900 entries for the UKC Winter Classic. How much money are they paying out there? What in the world is motivating all of those people to spend all of that money to hunt in it? How many dogs will they hunt at the PKC Winter Classic on Fri and Sat night where all of that money motivates them?
Don't you wish we could have big hunts or at least 4-5 cast around here again Richard ? I remember when the club at Chattanooga by the interstate would be full and so would be Birchwood and ft Payne we had as many as 30 dogs t Lafayette

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 01-21-2017 at 04:58 PM

Old Post 01-21-2017 03:33 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

We don't have the places/guides to hunt that many dogs any more. It is a shame. We have the same number of dogs to show up at our UKC hunts as we have at our PKC hunts. So I really don't see how "money is the best motivator". It is a big motivator for sure but there are other big motivators also.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 01-22-2017 at 04:17 AM

Old Post 01-21-2017 03:51 PM
wjoey
Banned

So how much performance money am I going to win at the winter classic? I believe its limited to 2 points and I have to out score over 900 dogs so maybe $200

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Old Post 01-21-2017 05:00 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I guess that money isn't the motivator for those 900+ entries then. I wonder why they are going?

Old Post 01-21-2017 05:19 PM
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I guess that money isn't the motivator for those 900+ entries then. I wonder why they are going?
Prestige. Win a major event against 100s of other dogs and you have something to be proud of. Win a local hunt with one or two other cast not so much. I suggested these changes to help increase hunters interest at local clubs not major heavily advertised events..

Old Post 01-21-2017 10:37 PM
wjoey
Banned

Guess I'm a prestige hunter then

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Old Post 01-21-2017 10:58 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Most are going to get your autograph brother richard. The drive and intestinal fortitude to follow your breed of choice for as many years as you have is surely worth a few bucks to at least several hundred of them..Wish you all safe travels!!

Old Post 01-21-2017 11:02 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Guess I'm a prestige hunter then
Nothing wrong with UKCs big hunts that's for sure!! 900x$30 is $27,000 if they'd put a lil of that in the program it would help a lot!

Old Post 01-21-2017 11:31 PM
wjoey
Banned

I bet it cost them at least 8k of that just to send and take care of there staff there

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Old Post 01-22-2017 02:49 AM