UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Tracking devices
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blanketback
UKC Forum Member

Tracking devices

Garmin Astro or Alpha? What's your opinion and choice and why? Looking to upgrade from my 220

PR Boones Swampmusic Blueprint R.I.P 10/17/12
PR Insane Abel (2nd place win)

SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY, NOT A DESTINATION!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-08-2017 05:14 AM
blanketback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blanketback Click here to Send blanketback a Private Message Click Here to Email blanketback Find more posts by blanketback Add blanketback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James50
UKC Forum Member

My opinion, hands down, is the alpha. It's extremely helpful to have the shock system in the same unit as the tracker. As long as you have signal on the dog you can shock them. So if your buddies a few miles away tell you they see your dogs on off game, you can correct them. Also if you are like us and run the beep collars as well as the gps then the regular collar, it keeps you from having to run a fourth collar on your dog. It does cost more than the astro, but I believe it is defiantly worth it.

Old Post 01-08-2017 10:47 AM
James50 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James50 Click here to Send James50 a Private Message Click Here to Email James50 Find more posts by James50 Add James50 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

since your choices are 430 astro or alpha I would go with the alpha. the astro 320 and 220 have been discontinued. the alpha seems to be getting range and not losing the dogs as much. plus it has built in shocking capabilities. I haven't heard one person that has had both alpha and astro units complain about the alpha. I have astro only because I have 7 collars and it would cost to much to start over. I don't believe the 430 astro is worth it other than it works with the dc50 collars.

Old Post 01-09-2017 02:11 AM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harrington
UKC Forum Member

alpha

alpha is good , they have a lot of extra stuff that hunters don't need , they can be some what confussing at first but so is riding a bike , i have 2 alphas and 8 tt15 collars , i would not have any thing else , have had 220 for years , i did have some issues with the alpha but they were corrected by garmin, do get extra battery for rec. exspect about 8 hrs battery life on rec in cold weather hunting , we use both tell. and gps , great for cat hunting

Old Post 01-09-2017 03:01 AM
harrington is online now Click Here to See the Profile for harrington Click here to Send harrington a Private Message Find more posts by harrington Add harrington to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
allisonzc
UKC Forum Member

Alpha hands down have used both. Touch screen gets some getting used to just read the book that comes with the alpha and it will be your best friend. Its a nice addition to have the shocking capability built in.

Old Post 01-09-2017 11:28 AM
allisonzc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for allisonzc Click here to Send allisonzc a Private Message Click Here to Email allisonzc Find more posts by allisonzc Add allisonzc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TBBLUE
UKC Forum Member

Alpha

Old Post 01-10-2017 11:38 PM
TBBLUE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBBLUE Click here to Send TBBLUE a Private Message Find more posts by TBBLUE Add TBBLUE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Alpha. Way smarter than me....
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 01-11-2017 03:40 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kordog
UKC Forum Member

its a good thing the alpha came out because I thought we were all gonna have to make a cross with giraffes x hounds to hold all the darn collars.i suppose someday there will be a small implant that will take the place of tracking ,and correcting collars.maybe a set of sunglasses that show the map to us .I have used the alpha some through hunting friends,and the alpha is the way to go for sure if you need it all in one package.that being said I still really like using my old 220 with dc 30s and use them all the time. they have the longer life batteries ,and long range antennas,plus I also have the long range antennae on the truck with a 320 mounted to the dash. I also have a bunch of dc 50s,and a spare 320. its really all great equipment.in fact I find that it is so good I have to remind myself to oh ya listen to the dog stupid.its really kind of pathetically sad. we are so spoiled.i still ride my ats telemetry around in the back of the truck why I don't know since I got that long range antennae on the truck I haven't put one on a dog.its like a kids security blanket I guess(hard to give up.)

Old Post 01-12-2017 01:54 PM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote