UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chasec5308
UKC Forum Member

Question

hey guys/gals im new here and i have a couple questions. I have a 2 year old OMC that i squirrel hunt with and in my opinion he's a pretty good squirrel dog, but over this past summer i've showed him a couple caged coons and he went crazy barking at it, so i tried hunting him at night and he dosent really seem interested in going out and hunting like he does during the day. He usually won't get more than 40-50 yards at night. Ive probably had him out maybe 10 times. I really think he has it in him, and i want to give him ample opportunity to catch on but i don't want to waste my time either..I'm sorry about the long post, but any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-29-2016 11:29 AM
chasec5308 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chasec5308 Click here to Send chasec5308 a Private Message Click Here to Email chasec5308 Find more posts by chasec5308 Add chasec5308 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Wouldn't waste time if he won't hunt. Some just don't like the dark. The last young dog I started was out 4 to 500 yds first time out at night. Alone

Old Post 11-30-2016 12:24 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chasec5308
UKC Forum Member

Thanks!

Old Post 11-30-2016 01:08 AM
chasec5308 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chasec5308 Click here to Send chasec5308 a Private Message Click Here to Email chasec5308 Find more posts by chasec5308 Add chasec5308 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdrooks
New UKC Forum Member

some times you may just have to sit it out. cut the dog loose and sit on the tailgate. I had one a few years ago that would do that. she would hunt 2-400 yards in the day but stay at my feet at night. just started taking her by herself and sitting on the tailgate. after a few trips I reckon she got bored sitting there with me. after a few trips of that she started hunting out by herself

Old Post 11-30-2016 02:09 AM
bdrooks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bdrooks Click here to Send bdrooks a Private Message Click Here to Email bdrooks Find more posts by bdrooks Add bdrooks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chasec5308
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly how he is doing. I will certainly try that!

Old Post 11-30-2016 02:37 AM
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

I've heard sitting will make one hunt. Sadly I would not have the patience to try it

Old Post 11-30-2016 04:01 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

Many excellent dogs don't know what to do at night when you first hunt them especially if they have been primarily hunted during the day. Give it some time. The absolute worst thing you can do is walk it unless you plan on doing it all the time. I do have to laugh when someone says they think a dog "has it" over how they acted over a couple caged coons though.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 11-30-2016 04:33 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chasec5308
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I failed to state that the sire to my dog was a combo dog and a couple the litter mates to my dog prefer treeing coon over squirrel. That's also why I haven't given up on him yet and why I believe he has it in him..but I'm new to tree dogs so I could be wrong. Only time will tell. Thanks for the info .

Old Post 11-30-2016 06:17 AM
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Tim I can never forget taking my first cur to one of the big hunts and putting her in the tree contest. She was absolutely a coon dog and I had killed a bunch of coons over her. But she was scared to death of that coon in a cage. Lol that's embarrassing with a bunch of people circled around ya. She bit me and everything trying to get away. Lol oh well I knew what she was

Old Post 11-30-2016 01:05 PM
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

I have had or seen dogs that would go absolutely crazy over stuff in a cage yet were as far from that particular type of dog as they come. On the other hand I have had some outstanding treedogs both squirrel and coon that would not mess with caged game. One of the many reasons I don't put any stock in caged came to this day.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 11-30-2016 10:28 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
burdette
UKC Forum Member

Just keep taking the dog get it to where it gets some hot tracks. Before u know it he will get it. Yes and ive taken a lawn chair and sit in woods trying to get young dogs going!!!!

Old Post 12-28-2016 08:07 PM
burdette is offline Click Here to See the Profile for burdette Click here to Send burdette a Private Message Click Here to Email burdette Find more posts by burdette Add burdette to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question

quote:
Originally posted by chasec5308
hey guys/gals im new here and i have a couple questions. I have a 2 year old OMC that i squirrel hunt with and in my opinion he's a pretty good squirrel dog, but over this past summer i've showed him a couple caged coons and he went crazy barking at it, so i tried hunting him at night and he dosent really seem interested in going out and hunting like he does during the day. He usually won't get more than 40-50 yards at night. Ive probably had him out maybe 10 times. I really think he has it in him, and i want to give him ample opportunity to catch on but i don't want to waste my time either..I'm sorry about the long post, but any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My advice would be to hunt your dog in the late evening while the Squirrel are still moving , as it gets darker keep casting your dog , he will catch on if he really wants to !
Start casting him in places you know that Coons feed and the rest will be up to him ...

Ray Hudson

Old Post 01-10-2017 04:40 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote