UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? For all you pros.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

? For all you pros.

I have a really nice young dog will be 2 in December. He was a really nice started pup and I sold him last February, well he was only hunted a few times all summer so I bought him back, when you cut him loose he will knock a hole in the dark, he will get struck get treed and dose it fast, my problem is when i cut him from the 1st tree he will not go hunting, he will birddog around me, maybe 150/200 yards, if I load him up move the truck he will knock a hole in the dark get struck get treed, How can i get him to cast from that tree?? Now he didn't do this before I sold him. Need advice.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-02-2016 08:07 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Sounds like like sombody shot to many coons out to him. Go to a place with enough coons when you pull him off of the tree he can strike anouther one because in the other kc I hunt in you only get to lead them 30 seconds off the tree and you got to cut that's the way I would hunt him if he don't go just keep easing forward he will go.

Old Post 11-02-2016 08:18 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

He is very competitive, with other dogs he will cast off the tree, been hunting him along and it sure is aggravating walking back to the truck after each drop.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-02-2016 08:26 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Tim have ya tried shootin that first coon out ?

Old Post 11-02-2016 08:34 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens

No, don't take many coon but when i do its on the last drop, but will give it a try.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-02-2016 09:10 PM
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

It sounds to me like who ever you let have the dog either was not shooting the coon out to him or they were hunting him off feeders i have seen the same thing happen in both cases or they were hunting small patches of woods and after he treed they loaded him up and cast him in another spot, When a lot of hound's has the go in them and once they tree and they see no coon at the end and they start Bird Dog-ing they are doing one of two things either looking for the coon or the next one they are accustom to finding close to the first tree and that stems from Feeders, The only thing i have seen that will fix or come close to fixing it is try and get him in thick coon and give him some fur and i saw one a couple years back that was close to what you are saying he is doing and we tied him at the tree and then we lead him off a ways from the tree and he would cast back out but if you just unsnapped him at the tree he would start running short circles and not get out, I hope you get him straightened out, And by the way i am no Pro by any means but i did stay in a cheap Hotel last night .

Old Post 11-02-2016 09:57 PM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Stop taking him back to the truck. Thats what he is used to and why he is doing it. Just set there, he will get board and go on. You will too but it will work.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-02-2016 10:10 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Giving a natural born tree dog to many coons causes to many problems don't believe me ask any frequent competition Hunter because I am still a coonhunter in training I am no pro either.

Old Post 11-02-2016 10:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Pro or not I respect all opinions and advice.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-02-2016 10:20 PM
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I never shoot the first one the only coons they get are on a recast usually the third one the tree. Shooting the first will not help i don't think. I would walk a minute. And less and less the better he gets.

Old Post 11-02-2016 10:24 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't shoot a bunch to him either. But I'd shoot the first one he trees tomorrow night lol. Just wondering if he won't go again because he's worried about the one he already treed or if he's just not used to being cast off that tree. Wouldn't fix the problem but it would tell me why he's doin it.

Old Post 11-03-2016 05:35 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Harris
UKC Forum Member

Find you a log and sit down take a nap if you have too he will get bored and get gone ,do that couple times and he will be back to where he was shortly

Old Post 11-03-2016 06:06 AM
Craig Harris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Harris Click here to Send Craig Harris a Private Message Click Here to Email Craig Harris Find more posts by Craig Harris Add Craig Harris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Adams
Banned

Did he ever go back to trees? Sounds to me that somebody tried to break him from going back to trees. I've had many young dogs that when I first started working on them for going back they would just hang around the area because they still wanted to go back but knew they couldn't. If this is the problem Most everyone I've had came out of it with hunting. I always knock the coon out if they do go on and tree one..

Is this the one named Trump??? Sorry Nitehunter I couldn't resist!

Old Post 11-03-2016 01:32 PM
Doug Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Adams Click here to Send Doug Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Adams Find more posts by Doug Adams Add Doug Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

He will not go back to the tree, I have sit, I have walked him, I have put my boot to his back side, he will hunt out about 150/200 yards and bird dog around checking trees, never had dog that would go so hard and drive a track from the truck but will not recast, if i load him, turn the truck around he will go like he was shot out of a cannon.

Doug there's lots of things you should try to resist!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-03-2016 02:21 PM
mucket
UKC Forum Member

get a good green switch an get on his a$$ n run him outta there, and DO NOT SHOOT THE FIRST COON that will just go against what yer trying to accomplish

Old Post 11-03-2016 02:32 PM
mucket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mucket Click here to Send mucket a Private Message Visit mucket's homepage! Find more posts by mucket Add mucket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Adams
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
He will not go back to the tree, I have sit, I have walked him, I have put my boot to his back side, he will hunt out about 150/200 yards and bird dog around checking trees, never had dog that would go so hard and drive a track from the truck but will not recast, if i load him, turn the truck around he will go like he was shot out of a cannon.

Doug there's lots of things you should try to resist!

Good luck with him.. Just keep turning him.

I agree on your last statement! I'm going to start in November 8.. when I resist the temptation to cast a vote for a maniac! Lol!

Sorry but I couldn't resist replying!

Last edited by Doug Adams on 11-03-2016 at 02:47 PM

Old Post 11-03-2016 02:45 PM
Doug Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Adams Click here to Send Doug Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Adams Find more posts by Doug Adams Add Doug Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mucket
UKC Forum Member

It is more important now than ever the way the big money hunts are set up that a dog move around an get thru the country after they make that first tree cause you most likely hunt the same spot the whole hunt.

Old Post 11-03-2016 03:13 PM
mucket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mucket Click here to Send mucket a Private Message Visit mucket's homepage! Find more posts by mucket Add mucket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like he is a total loss! He needs culled. I will gladly take him off your hands and make him a house pet cause its obvious he will never out grow this fault.

Old Post 11-03-2016 03:41 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
It sounds like he is a total loss! He needs culled. I will gladly take him off your hands and make him a house pet cause its obvious he will never out grow this fault.

That's what I been thinking LOL, all dogs have faults some I can work around some I can fix, he has all the tools, Big, Loud, A Locate that makes ya proud, Will sling mud when cut from the truck, you can walk him 10 min from the truck and he will sling mud, he will not go back to a tree But will NOT recast, now he will recast with another dog and go opposite direction, theres got to be away to fix this.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-03-2016 05:05 PM
yadkintar
Banned

This going to sound stupid but I hunted dogs for the public for a lot of years I ain't seen everything but almost! Make sure your in a big enough place that he is secure when he makes that first tree pull him off and send him he gets out there 200 yrds piddling around go back to the truck and leave his butt drive about a mile watch your garmin he will either start hunting you or he will go hunting one of the two either way it will get him out of that habit just keep doing it till he don't depend on you sounds like he was trained to make one dump and go.

Old Post 11-03-2016 05:22 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I am no pro. I shoot nearly every coon my dogs tree. One has got to decide does he win or do you win. I have had some that thought they were not going to recast but once you get in a big spot and he starts that bird dogging or circling one of two things happen to mine they either learn to recast or go hide. The method I use is a good hickory and my collar. You may get them running wild for a bit but when they settle back down they will start recasting. I have had some that thought they could win but none ever had. Degree of severity is based on dogs intelligence and how much you can stand. I have never believed shooting Coons out causes a dog to bird dog around. My opinion is we allow that to be the answer because it's convenient excuse because everyone says it. The dog goofs around because the handler lets it. If he has the gears it won't take much

Old Post 11-04-2016 12:06 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
He is very competitive, with other dogs he will cast off the tree, been hunting him along and it sure is aggravating walking back to the truck after each drop.
I will take a shot at this!! you say you sold him when he must of been around a yr old!! who ever had him prob just hunted him with dogs!! cast from truck they tree go get and load up and move on to another spot!! competition style hunting!!not good for a young dog unless that's what ya want!! Keep him in woods and just recast him from tree!! I do all my young dogs that way from start to finish!! sounds like he likes being with company to take him on after first tree!! some of this is caused by lack hunting proper and than it could be just the dog to!! all you can do at this point is just keep it up time after time maybe it will click!!! just no magic cure!! but what do I know iam no pro at this!!jmo

Old Post 11-04-2016 12:22 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

High ridge everybody has their methods but the people that shock and whip their dogs to go are the same ones that shock or whip them to come in I know they say I will get them when they tree or I don't want to see them. When you are running the hunts in states and territories you have never been to before and running short on deadline you better have one you can handle if they hate your guts they ain't going to there are things I absolutely will whip the pee out of one for but to make them go hunting ect I just put them in situations were their instincts take over jmo. Half the time they are correcting them so much they don't know what they are supposed to do. I have fixed a lot of dogs messed up like that. They always asked me what did you do I said I was their freind and made coon treeing fun again to them jmo.

Old Post 11-04-2016 12:37 AM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

This dog has had around 6 coon in his life (unless the previous owner wasn't honest), our season is in so he may get a few, he will be two in December so he hasn't had a good kill season.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 11-04-2016 01:14 AM
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

My instinctual reaction is that Mr Taylor is right on this one. It sure sounds like he's used to running in there to find a coon off a feeder but never learned to go hunting for the next one. Just hasn't figured it out yet is all. Not his fault if he was never exposed to hunting from the tree. Hunt him through it. If he will only go 200 yds but is hunting around, keep walking him. He will stumble across the next coon and learn that the next one is out there.

All just a guess, but bottom line is that if a dog has the desire and ability to find a track and tree it, (and it sounds like he does) then there's no reason he wont figure it out. It will be on his time line when it clicks, not yours, but if you keep showing him there's another coon to find, the lines of desire, and knowledge of what to do with that desire should come together pretty quickly.

Disclaimer: I in no way, shape, or form, resemble a pro. Lol.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 11-04-2016 01:44 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote