UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pups starting time.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

Pups starting time.

I had an interesting conversation with my buddy and I would like to see everyone's thoughts on it. What do you expect a pup to be doing by certain ages? For me if a pup is not going hunting and showing that they at least want to tree a coon by 10 months-12 months they are of no use to me. I know some people who keep them until they are 2 or even longer. My thoughts on pups are that even if the dog who wasn't doing anything by the time it was 1 starts to do more than it originally was, It's still not going to satisfy me to be what i want it to be. I like putting time in one that i enjoy taking to the woods by itself and generally speaking don't go home mad every night. How long do you give your pups?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2019 04:12 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I'm fortunate enough to have a place for my pups to run loose from 5 months old until I think they are ready. As for me and them getting to run loose I think by 8-10 months old if they are still laying on the porch they need to be someone else's pet. I usually have 3-4 running loose at a time and can tell pretty quick my pick or favorites out of them. More goes into it though as in brains, how gamey they are, and how good their mouths are. I am constantly watching my pups grow and mature while running around the yard.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 06-17-2019 04:23 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Several different factors involved. Is this pup out of an early starting strain and is the owner a puppy person? I've been called a liar as to the age some of my pups started. Yadkin River pups generally start early and if you can read pups and be careful with them and hold their interest and not burn them out it's not unusal to be hunting them and treeing coon at 7 months old. I bred to Tony Daviduks Wild Clover dog twice and he said his started at 9 months old and it proved to be true. He actually came down and hunted with me to see a 7 month old run and tree its own coon right by itself.
See if you can get oldsouth123 to respond to this post as he's one of the better puppy persons I've ever seen. He used to have pups treeing before the milk was dry on their mouths. Ok maybe a slight exaggeration.

Old Post 06-17-2019 04:52 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fullhouse
Banned

If given a proper chance i want mine at least running and treeing solid with an old dog by 12 months old. I've had several I was hunting by themselves by then.

Old Post 06-17-2019 07:17 PM
fullhouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fullhouse Click here to Send fullhouse a Private Message Find more posts by fullhouse Add fullhouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you expect a pup to be running and treeing by 12 mos old, how long do you keep a dog? Do you then sell that dog by 2-3 yrs old or do you keep your dogs until they are 6-10 yrs old? How many coons will a dog tree in it's lifetime if it starts at 12 mos old and is hunted until it is 10-12 yrs old? If a pup starts at 12 mos old, when will it "peak"? If a pup starts at 12 mos old will it be through at 4 yrs old?

Old Post 06-17-2019 07:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If you expect a pup to be running and treeing by 12 mos old, how long do you keep a dog? Do you then sell that dog by 2-3 yrs old or do you keep your dogs until they are 6-10 yrs old? How many coons will a dog tree in it's lifetime if it starts at 12 mos old and is hunted until it is 10-12 yrs old? If a pup starts at 12 mos old, when will it "peak"? If a pup starts at 12 mos old will it be through at 4 yrs old?

Kind of my point was that I'm always looking for THAT dog. The one I want to keep until they are 12 years old. I think in my opinion you can tell if a dog has the tools and potential to be that dog by a year old.

Old Post 06-17-2019 08:41 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Most of my pups are also running and treeing at least with the old dog by a year old. Actually most will tree coon alone by that age.
A pup that won't hunt isn't much good. I haven't had 1 like that for over a decade. Knock on wood. I generally start a couple a year.
I don't keep many to there older years. I have 1 right now that is 4 years old. Yep they can tree a lot of coon before there 2 years old. Why wait that long. If ya put in a the time and there not getting it done by a year old I'm moving on to the next pup.

Old Post 06-18-2019 01:18 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote