UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stay or Leave (minus or scratch)
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

I asked the same question years ago and had about 4 or 5 pages of responses. About 99% said “ stay “ no matter what . Even if the woods is on fire they better stay . You caint win if they leave etc etc . I disagree myself , I think way to much of a hound that I have raised and train to stay and get cut up or turn out later to get mean their self . Having a good name is winning to me .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-2019 03:58 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
I asked the same question years ago and had about 4 or 5 pages of responses. About 99% said “ stay “ no matter what . Even if the woods is on fire they better stay . You caint win if they leave etc etc . I disagree myself , I think way to much of a hound that I have raised and train to stay and get cut up or turn out later to get mean their self . Having a good name is winning to me .
x2

Old Post 12-02-2019 04:26 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
If it meant getting thrown out of school for the year and for life on your second offense I would tell him to walk away. If he could put a leash on and get away with it I would tell him to fight.

A man can only walk so much and so far. There comes a time when you’ve got to stop walking. You don’t have to quit walking during school. After school works just as good. Those that constantly walk will have to do it to the end.

Old Post 12-02-2019 04:36 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
We're raising and training dogs to trail and tree coons. There should never be a reason for a dog to have to prove he's not a coward.

Have you ever had Coyotes run a dog off a tree? Last winter I was pleasure hunting with my 6 year old son and on our way to the tree a coyote came in and tried running the dog off. The dog went from chopping to roaring and then got quite for a minute or so and then went back to treeing again. No way would the 2 have caught him. We get there and there is a dead Coyote gyp about 2 feet from the tree and he had a coon over his head.
I sold Demon some guys in Texas and quickly regretted it and bought him back. While they had him he got attacked by hogs at the tree. When they got there he had his butt to the tree looking up treeing and his guts were hanging out. If they don’t have the kind of heart and stay power I just described they absolutely will not make the cut around Here. I will walk to the end of the world if they get treed. I expect for them to be there when I get there.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Last edited by Team Mafia 2 on 12-03-2019 at 03:31 AM

Old Post 12-03-2019 03:16 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate your perspectives. I myself want mine to stay. Move around, do what you need to do, but stay.

Old Post 12-03-2019 03:32 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Not much I hate worse then a dog leaving a tree but I don't like walking to trees with my head cocked sideways waiting for a dog fight to start. And I won't hunt one that makes me wonder if either one is gonna happen. There's a fine line. If I was running the roads like I used to they'd have to be a little tougher then they need to be around here. Waiting for that bomb to go off takes all the fun out of it for me maybe I'm getting old lol

Old Post 12-03-2019 04:29 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Go by the rules.

A dog that leaves trees won't work out very good, if competition hunted much. It's a fine line between staying under pressure and getting into dog fights. The best dogs can take some heat, but stay in the kitchen without fighting.
Follow the rules, scratch them and write them up, don't let people withdraw and go without a write up. If your dog is involved scratch and write it up. If your dog is written up a few times, you probably need to be looking for a new dog.
Consider this: If 2 dogs are treed and a fight breaks out, one or both of them is aggressive. This is your chance to start the process of getting a mean dog out of the hunts. Write them up.
Anything short of a "fight", that's going to happen sometimes. You should hunt a dog that can take some pressure and keep on treeing.
We can want it to be different, but that is how it is in competition.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 12-03-2019 05:02 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well you guys wouldn't like my dog. This happened last night and was a first for me. Dog trailed in and treed like he's supposed to. About two minutes and he quit. Couldn't figure it out so I walked to where he was treed. Before I got there the smell of skunk was very strong. Looked at the tree and the coon was there. Young dog I had along had a little smell of skunk so I think he ran over it right near the tree. My old dog liked skunks when he was young and I broke him off them HARD. Won't go within 50 yards of one if he knows it's there. Only thing I can figure is he thought he was in trouble and got out of Dodge. Only mean dog I ever had him with he just kept moving around the tree.

I will say this I won't hunt any dog that I wouldn't want to take a just started pup with. Not with my buddy or in competition. I don't like an ill, rough, mean or however you call it, dog.

Old Post 12-03-2019 04:49 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Is there a difference between I’ll, mean, rough, grouchy, etc and defending yourself? Also, can defending yourself enough causes your dog to be on the offensive?

Old Post 12-03-2019 09:49 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Just my opinion......

Take a minus.

I am not talking about leaving just because another dog is pushy (in that case mine needs to give him room and stay). If another dog is a sure enough gator and giving it some room isn't enough, go ahead and get away from him. If it is far enough back to take minus or leave all together, so be it.

I'd rather take a minus, than pay a vet bill.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 12-05-2019 01:27 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrod leathers
UKC Forum Member

Re: Story time lol

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I probly told this one before back when we had judges for champion cast. I pleasure hunted regular with a little dog called troubles all the time face barken , hide pinchen little pain in the butt I had a dog called booger a lot down here will remember didn’t have a mean bone. Father in law told the man one of these nights booger is going to get tired of that and just like that it was on like donkey Kong booger shook him a loose and he never done him like that again.

Well on to the hunt I was the judge troubles drew a big Black and Tan named sun valley butch. Troubles weighed about 45 lbs when we got to the tree ole butch had troubles whole head in his mouth still treeing all 4 of troubles feet was off the ground. Well troubles withdrew they asked me what now ?

I said cut um loose boys lol.

Tar

Tar, rumor goes that Sun Valley Butch was part Pit Bull. Your story makes me want to believe that story.

Old Post 12-05-2019 05:27 AM
jerrod leathers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrod leathers Click here to Send jerrod leathers a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrod leathers Find more posts by jerrod leathers Add jerrod leathers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Story time lol

quote:
Originally posted by jerrod leathers
Tar, rumor goes that Sun Valley Butch was part Pit Bull. Your story makes me want to believe that story.

That’s about the time period the adjusting for position rule in the $$$ hunts was defined. We used to call it the let um rumble rule walk a little ways the long way around and let them get finished adjusting lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-05-2019 12:10 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Story time lol

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
. We used to call it the let um rumble rule walk a little ways the long way around and let them get finished adjusting lol.

Tar

I was on a Purina points cast one night in Ohio first dump of the night dogs all piled up on a tree 50 yards from the cast. About a min things started getting rough one fella says we better get in there the judge says I don't think we wanna go in right now. Another min passes things settle down judge says now we can go in lol.

Old Post 12-05-2019 03:24 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

just a thought!!!

Young boy{12/13} years old buys a pup raises and trains this pup till about 17/18 months old gets drawn out in that cast ya'll described his dog gets cut up bad leaves the tree goes to the vet and sets the pup back or ruins the pup have we helped the future of our sport by not going by the RULES????

Old Post 12-05-2019 03:36 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: just a thought!!!

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
Young boy{12/13} years old buys a pup raises and trains this pup till about 17/18 months old gets drawn out in that cast ya'll described his dog gets cut up bad leaves the tree goes to the vet and sets the pup back or ruins the pup have we helped the future of our sport by not going by the RULES????

Seriously, in your years of coonhunting how many dogs have you had that have required a trip to the vet because of injury from another dog in a hunt?
I've been married to Cheyenne now for over 27 years and he has hunted in hundreds of cast in that span of time and never once have we had one injured by another dog that required a trip to the vet. I'm not saying it never ever happens but this is an extremely rare occurrence. Dogs are much more likely to be injured by many other things (cars, fences, hogs snakes etc, ect).
I for one have had eough of the sky is falling attitude.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-05-2019 08:13 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: just a thought!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Seriously, in your years of coonhunting how many dogs have you had that have required a trip to the vet because of injury from another dog in a hunt?
I've been married to Cheyenne now for over 27 years and he has hunted in hundreds of cast in that span of time and never once have we had one injured by another dog that required a trip to the vet. I'm not saying it never ever happens but this is an extremely rare occurrence. Dogs are much more likely to be injured by many other things (cars, fences, hogs snakes etc, ect).
I for one have had eough of the sky is falling attitude.

Iv been to the vet $780 bucks, One time is One time to many!
Congrats 27 years is an accomplishment in today’s world, October was my 39th anniversary.

Old Post 12-06-2019 12:42 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

The sky is not falling club ATTENDANCE IS;jmo turning a blind eye is not the answer.

Old Post 12-06-2019 02:09 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

This is a little off topic because it doesn't involve competition hunting but years ago when the original Hickory Nut Harry was the hottest thing going I had a chance to get a pup out of him (or at least was supposed to be, back then you never knew for sure). At about one year old he got after a coon in a slew full of cattails and it just flipped his switch. From that night on he was a coon dog. But about three weeks later maybe had treed 15 coon (not all by himself) I went to the tree and he was treeing with his back to the tree and daring any dog to come in. And when one tried he would just explode at them. Left him in the woods that night with lead poisoning. Maybe there was something to try but I had no idea what it was. He was a mean dog. He wasn't looking to just push them around. He wanted ahold of them. I have no use for a dog like that.

Old Post 12-06-2019 02:16 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

30+ years ago i went coon hunting my first time my buddy had a 60 pound grade walker named Luke i had a 70 pound pit bull they hunted and treed together with no problem because we did not allow any aggression because we were hunting for the love of it and fellowship with friends.like you did, to fix a problem is easy eliminate the problem.

Old Post 12-06-2019 02:47 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
This is a little off topic because it doesn't involve competition hunting but years ago when the original Hickory Nut Harry was the hottest thing going I had a chance to get a pup out of him (or at least was supposed to be, back then you never knew for sure). At about one year old he got after a coon in a slew full of cattails and it just flipped his switch. From that night on he was a coon dog. But about three weeks later maybe had treed 15 coon (not all by himself) I went to the tree and he was treeing with his back to the tree and daring any dog to come in. And when one tried he would just explode at them. Left him in the woods that night with lead poisoning. Maybe there was something to try but I had no idea what it was. He was a mean dog. He wasn't looking to just push them around. He wanted ahold of them. I have no use for a dog like that.
2 years ago I was in a competition hunt that went much like your talking about. 3 dog cast, first tree 2 dogs on one tree with the coon the other dog jealous treed slick. 2nd tree all three dogs was on but mine was sitting back off the tree, never a good sign. By the 3rd tree 1 dog treeing, 1 with his butt to the tree and my dog circling the tree from a fair distance. We called time out to move. I was winning the cast with 200+ ahead of the rest and I informed them all about the behavior of the dogs as we left the tree. The owner/hander off the aggressive dog was a kid and his gr pa was spectating. We got to the next spot. They was not going to withdraw even though they had over 300- so I withdrew. After recast the other dog was carried back to the truck with 20 minutes left to hunt all was withdrew.
P S no vet needed just a week to recoup, the sky didn't fall and never will.

Old Post 12-06-2019 02:24 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: just a thought!!!

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Iv been to the vet $780 bucks, One time is One time to many!
Congrats 27 years is an accomplishment in today’s world, October was my 39th anniversary.

Was that Vet visit after your trip to a Oklahoma last year?

Old Post 12-06-2019 04:09 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Where are all these mean dogs everyone is always complaining about? What are there names and who is taking them to the hunts?

Old Post 12-06-2019 04:29 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Where are all these mean dogs everyone is always complaining about? What are there names and who is taking them to the hunts?

According to a bunch, you and I for 2. Because we hunt the other registries,we have mean dogs.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-06-2019 04:37 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: just a thought!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
Was that Vet visit after your trip to a Oklahoma last year?

I think That one cost around $500, still think that was a fence but not 100% sure.
Why do you ask? You know something I don’t? I do know The dog in question was sold a few days later.

Last edited by nitehunter2004 on 12-06-2019 at 04:57 PM

Old Post 12-06-2019 04:54 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
They was not going to withdraw even though they had over 300- so I withdrew. After recast the other dog was carried back to the truck with 20 minutes left to hunt all was withdrew.
P S no vet needed just a week to recoup, the sky didn't fall and never will.

Therein lies part of the problem. Why did you not scratch the agressive dog? When you don't scratch them, you are allowing them to keep on entering hunts and causing problems. If a handler thinks that he can get away with it, he will keep on hunting the dog.

Old Post 12-06-2019 05:14 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote