UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Correcting a dog
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Back when I started coonhunting with a old man ! He told me he rather have a dog run a deer across country than have one to slick tree!! Now I under stand what he was saying to me at that time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:18 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHEWBACH
Back when I started coonhunting with a old man ! He told me he rather have a dog run a deer across country than have one to slick tree!! Now I under stand what he was saying to me at that time. [/QUOTEdoes anyone else under stand it???]

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:20 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
As long as you're aware the dogs today are a different animal than the dogs of yesteryear when hides were high. But it depends on the dog. I've seen some dogs get more accurate and less accurate depending on what the dog was used to. Some dogs are gamblers by nature regardless of how many you knock out. Some dogs won't gamble at all, and double check themselves before settling in on tree. I know you know all this.
You made my point. Today's dog is a different animal. It has nothing to do with shooting coons.

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:23 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHEWBACH
Back when I started coonhunting with a old man ! He told me he rather have a dog run a deer across country than have one to slick tree!! Now I under stand what he was saying to me at that time. [/QUOTEdoes anyone else under stand it???]

Yes, I do understand it and agree with it. I'd rather have junk running for hours than make me walk to a slick. But in today's dogs it doesn't happen this way very often.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:29 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Yes, I do understand it and agree with it. I'd rather have junk running for hours than make me walk to a slick. But in today's dogs it doesn't happen this way very often.
what he was saying to me was!! its easier to break one from junking than to break one from slick treeing!! have found this out to be true!!

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:34 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
You made my point. Today's dog is a different animal. It has nothing to do with shooting coons.

But it does. If you never hardly shot coons to your dog and then all of sudden started knocking them out, the dog could.......
Example:
A) start slicking more than normal
B) start hunting harder of faster
C) get more accurate

It all depends upon the dog and whether you can recognize the differences in its behavior.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:36 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It's about the dog. Breed for accuracy. Forget volume, barks per minute, bugged eyed, slobber slinging or any other cute term you can come up with. Since I've been reading this forum, I've seen about 20 request for the hardest treeing stud out there. Not one for the most accurate stud out there.

Old Post 11-15-2019 01:06 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Who’s the most accurate stud dog or bloodline you have ever hunted with or witnessed? I always thought the clover dogs were known for maybe not treeing the most coons in a night but more likely to have the meat every time it locks down on a tree. Am I just believing something false or what do y’all think?

Old Post 11-15-2019 01:18 AM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Clover dogs got on my nerves wallering sometimes but they could dang sure put coons in trees

Old Post 11-15-2019 02:55 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Almo Gonzalez
New UKC Forum Member

Trivia - For your awareness

Sometimes correcting dogs might triggered them into something wild - depending on how the process applied.

Your main goal is to curb unwanted dog behaviors. First rule is to understand them by researching. Why they keep doing unwanted behaviors? Maybe they are sending message to you that you can't understand.

Biting is the best example. Your question will be "How to stop a dog from biting?"

"Puppies mouth or nip for several reasons. As you noted, two of the primary reasons are teething & becoming overtired. Puppies also play with littermates & explore the world this way. The main message you want to get across is when your puppy nips you – all the fun stops immediately."

In my place, there is california dog bite law https://www.mesrianilaw.com/blog/wh...g-bite-law.html" where Under the California Civil Code, section 3342 states that the owner of the dog is liable for dog bite damages under circumstances. So we are really serious on training our dog not to bite someone.

I hope this fact could help a lot of dog owners how to handle them properly.

Old Post 11-15-2019 04:55 AM
Almo Gonzalez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Almo Gonzalez Click here to Send Almo Gonzalez a Private Message Find more posts by Almo Gonzalez Add Almo Gonzalez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
what he was saying to me was!! its easier to break one from junking than to break one from slick treeing!! have found this out to be true!!

absolutely agree. I think its easier to break off the junk running than be inaccurate. But 1 problem I've seen from others dogs that don't get corrected is running tracks backwards. A bunch of the hunters I've been with can't distinguish between tracks being coons or junk or running the track backwards, so they don't know any better. And some you can't tell them anything because they already know everything.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:18 PM