UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Ch. Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smokey River Blue Tramp 11
Pages (20): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Mr Smith you've been at this much longer than me. When you select hounds from top hounds it's still not 100% success but that's how we get hounds we enjoy hunting.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2015 06:45 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

The above picture is of Ch. Nite Ch. "PR" Pearl River Blue Ruby and Nite Ch. "PR" Pearl River Blue Blue with owner Mr. J.W. Williamson of Monticello, Ms. I'm doing all of this strickly from memory, but I can not remember Blue Blue's Dam. His Sire was Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Jones Cedar Hill Blue Blue owned by Mr. T.C. Jones. Pearl River Blue Blue was a fine coonhound that I loved to hunt with, he was also the sire of my Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Smith's Blue Jim. I'll tell Jim's story a little later. Mr. Williamson owned Ruby most of her hunting life. I purchased her from Mr. Williamson later in her life when he started having health problems. Earlier in his life when I met and started hunting with him, He kind of took me under his wing and taught me all about coonhunting. How to blow a coon squaller and how to read a compass. We didn't have all the training and tracking equipment then like we have to day. If he needed breaking, you had to go catch him and whip him. If he wasn't barking you didn't know where he was at. Mr. Williamson also took me on my first competition hunt and Ruby won the hunt that night and from then on I was hooked. Ruby liked one win to be a grand nite ch. when Mr. Williamson's health began to fail, so she never got that last win.

Later, The rest of the story.

Last edited by Misty river on 11-18-2015 at 01:34 AM

Old Post 11-17-2015 07:01 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

So true Dennis. I don't think I've ever seen anything in coonhunting that was 100% success, but for those who have it in their blood like you and I and a lot of others, we will keep trying.

Old Post 11-18-2015 01:40 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HILLBILLYS BLU
UKC Forum Member

Mr Jack reading your threads is just like reading a good book, I just can wait to see what you write next!

Old Post 11-18-2015 11:40 PM
HILLBILLYS BLU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HILLBILLYS BLU Click here to Send HILLBILLYS BLU a Private Message Click Here to Email HILLBILLYS BLU Find more posts by HILLBILLYS BLU Add HILLBILLYS BLU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Bill. I'm glad you enjoy it. As soon as I get time I will ad some more to it.

Old Post 11-19-2015 10:08 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp 11

Old Post 11-21-2015 05:02 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 11-21-2015 05:09 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp11

I made a short run with Tramp tonight. It sure was good to get him out and listen to him run and tree a coon. I've got several young dogs, so I don't get to get him out nearly as much as he and I would like. The pine tree that he is treed on goes up into the leaning oak that you see behind him and that is where the coon was at.

Last edited by Misty river on 11-21-2015 at 05:53 AM

Old Post 11-21-2015 05:16 AM
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Tramp II

Jack,
Sure some nice pictures of Tramp. Hope we can get him bred to one of my females in the future. I think he is going to throw some pretty nice pups.
Take Care,
Scott

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Old Post 11-21-2015 12:32 PM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Scott

Thank you for believing in Tramp. He is from a long line of top hounds and though his pups are not old enough to put in the woods yet I have no doubt that Tramp 11 will reproduce. I know that you have some top hounds in your kennels, both male and females and nothing would please me more than getting one of your females bred to Tramp. Hope you are having some good hunts Scott. I imagine the weather is beginning to get a little cooler up there.

Old Post 11-22-2015 11:13 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Ch. Nite Ch. "PR" Pearl River Blue Ruby and Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smith's Blue Jim

Old Post 11-22-2015 11:22 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

I'm beginning to get a little ahead of my self so let me back this story up a little to the first night that I hunted with Mr. Williamson and Ruby. Ruby was at that time recently bred to Mr. T.C. Jones, Gr. Nite Ch. Jones Cedar Hill Blue Blue. Now this was not my first time to coon hunt. It was just my first time to hunt with Registered dogs. My dad had coonhunted when he was younger and then had gotten into fox hunting when I was just a small boy. Dad always had several hounds and one of these I remember well, all of dads dogs were walker hounds, and I'm sure that this one was mostly walker but he was a big open ticked hound with long ears and a big bawled mouth. He was one of dads best fox hounds until he was about 4 years old and then he went to treeing coons. The dogs name was Buck. I would talk my dad into taking me and Buck coonhunting, and although I was probably only about 12 or 13 years old it wasn't long before me and Buck was roaming all over that creek swamp at night chasing those coons. My dad was a share cropper and we moved around quite a bit and atthat time we lived right on the banks of Silver Creek, just a few miles up the road from where I live today. Dad didn't know it but some of his other dogs got to following me and Buck off at night and I had some of them running and treeing coons. Early one morning dad had buck and the others out deer hunting and they struck and dad thought they were after a deer and they all treed a coon and dad was pretty mad at me and Buck so dad sold Buck, because he knew that me and Buck was going to ruin his whole pack if he didn't, so that was the last of my coonhunting until I met Mr. Williamson. Like I wrote earlier Mr. Williamson had Just bred Ruby and I asked him that night if I could get a puppy out of her and how much would it cost. He told me that I could get one and the cost would be $125. Now that was the most money that I had ever heard of for a dog, much less a small pup. Now I was working in the Oil Fields at the time making $1.65 an hour. That was fair wages at the time, but I also had a wife and family, but I knew I had to have one of these pups even though I would have to spend some extra time on the rig to do it. When the pups got here I picked out a female and named her Gypsy. A couple of months after that Mr Williamson had another female to have pups and he gave me a male pup out of this litter. I name him Jim. His Dam was named Lou, She was out of a brother to Ruby and Jim's sire was Mr. Williamson's Blue Blue dog. As soon as Gypsy was old enough I started hunting her and she could really run a track and had a good mouth, but she never made much of a tree dog and I soon let some one else have her and started hunting Jim. Now Jim was a different story. He made a top dog and went on to be Gr. Nite Ch. Smith's Blue Jim. This was before I came up with the kennel name of Misty River. Now Jim was of the Misty River line, but was not in the Misty River line. I have about caught up to where I was at in the last article so I'll stop here for now.

Later, the rest of the story.

Old Post 11-23-2015 12:54 AM
gabluedogman
UKC Forum Member

Mr Jack I've been really enjoying these stories. Keep them coming, I always look forward to the next one.

Old Post 11-23-2015 04:41 PM
gabluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gabluedogman Click here to Send gabluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by gabluedogman Add gabluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

"PR" Misty River Blue Cajun

Old Post 11-25-2015 03:55 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

As I said earlier Mr. Williamson Had bred Ruby 2 or 3 times to Cedar Hill Blue Blue. At the time Dave Dean was promoting Northern Blue Hammer 11 and Hammer 111. I didn't know much about these Hammer dogs other than pictures and what I had read, but they seemed to be the best at the time and a lot of dogs out of them were doing a lot of winning and that was what I was wanting. something that could compete anywhere, so I started trying to persuade Mr. Williamson to breed Ruby to Hammer 11. It took a while but one day I was in Monticello, Ms. where Mr. Williamson lived and I passed him and he flagged me down. He told me that Ruby was in season and was ready to breed. He asked me if I would make the trip to Michigan as he did not have time to go. Mr. Williamson was supervisor there around Monticello at the time. I told him to let me go home and get some clothes and I would be ready to go. I traveled up to Dowling, Michigan and met the Man with the Dark Glasses and the Black Hat. I always thought that Mr. Dean wore those dark glasses just to be cool, but I found out while there that he had an eye problem. I got to hunt with Hammer 11 and Hammer 111 while there. I even got to look up on that Fabled 22 rifle of his with the broken stock. Now I didn't know wheather that thing would shoot or not, but I guess it would, because he took it hunting with us, but after all this time I can't remember if we used it or not. Dave and his family were gracious hosts. He and I became good friends and are today. We bred Ruby to Hammer 11 that night and I pulled out early the next morning headed back to Ms. When the pups were born Mr. Williamson gave me the pick of the litter. I picked a male pup and named him Cajun. I started hunting Cajun with Jim when he was about 5 Mo. old and he started quickly. He was doing a good job at a young age. One night I was hunting Cajun and Jim in a cornfield a few miles up the road from where I live now and they ran the coon across a black top road and the young Cajun dog was hit by a car and killed. After Cajun was killed I wanted to get me another pup out of this cross. I went to see Mr. Williamson and he told me that he had given a female out of this cross to a friend of his and that I might could get her. He had given her to an older guy that was a farmer and all he wanted her for was to keep the varmints out of his chickens. Well it just so happened that I had just the dog for that. The farmer was Mr. William Steen of Monticello. I went to see Mr. Steen and we made the swap. In time Mr. Steen grew to love the Sue female and Molly went on to become Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Blue Molly.

Later, the rest of the story

Thank you Richard, I'm glad you are injoying the story. I'll ad some more as soon as I get time.

Last edited by Misty river on 11-25-2015 at 05:13 AM

Old Post 11-25-2015 05:08 AM
quail ck kennel
UKC Forum Member

I had made a trip to Ed Meads back in the eighties. We went to Daves and went hunting. I don't recall what Ed and I hunted but Dave hunted a 9 year old nt. Ch. female he had just got. It was in the spring and the ice had just melted off the swamps. The dogs treed, a coon about 100 feet in the swamp up a little tree in water they had to swim in. We couldn't call the dogs to us so Dave took his 22 with the broken stock and shot at the coon about 10 times complaining something was wrong with the gun. He looked at the rear sight and it was knocked over to the side. He bent it back in place next shot the coon fell out. By this time the dogs had been in the water for over an hour. When they came out of the water Daves dog was so cold and weak she could hardly walk Dave carried her to the truck. I was just wondering if you had to run to keep up with Dave?

Old Post 11-25-2015 10:03 AM
quail ck kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for quail ck kennel Click here to Send quail ck kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email quail ck kennel Find more posts by quail ck kennel Add quail ck kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by quail ck kennel
I had made a trip to Ed Meads back in the eighties. We went to Daves and went hunting. I don't recall what Ed and I hunted but Dave hunted a 9 year old nt. Ch. female he had just got. It was in the spring and the ice had just melted off the swamps. The dogs treed, a coon about 100 feet in the swamp up a little tree in water they had to swim in. We couldn't call the dogs to us so Dave took his 22 with the broken stock and shot at the coon about 10 times complaining something was wrong with the gun. He looked at the rear sight and it was knocked over to the side. He bent it back in place next shot the coon fell out. By this time the dogs had been in the water for over an hour. When they came out of the water Daves dog was so cold and weak she could hardly walk Dave carried her to the truck. I was just wondering if you had to run to keep up
with Dave?

I don't remember Mr. Miller. That was a long time ago.

Last edited by Misty river on 11-25-2015 at 03:37 PM

Old Post 11-25-2015 03:31 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smiths blue Jim

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:57 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smith's Blue Jim

Jim treed along the banks of the Pearl River. Jim was a top hound. He and I roamed these Pearl River Swamps many nights. Jim treed coons where ever I put him down.He is still talked about today by those that knew him. I will tell his story next.

Old Post 11-26-2015 04:11 PM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Henry had some top hounds. Quail Creek Jimmy sired a few Gr nts that I enjoyed hunting for several years. What ever happened to Jack Leatherman.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 11-26-2015 04:12 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Jack Leatherman

Dennis I don't really know. I don't know wheather or not he's still around or not. There may be some others that knew him that may read this and let us know, but I knew of him and had talked to him on the phone, but I have never met him that I can remember. The Bandit dog that I had here for a while, I bought from Jack.

Old Post 11-26-2015 04:20 PM
quail ck kennel
UKC Forum Member

Jack was superintendent at Hollister mo.where he went to school growing up. He lived just south of a little town called Omaha ar.across the state line on hwy 65. He retired several years ago and had running dogs last I heard.

Old Post 11-26-2015 06:16 PM
quail ck kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for quail ck kennel Click here to Send quail ck kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email quail ck kennel Find more posts by quail ck kennel Add quail ck kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Henry Miller

The Bandit dog that I had bought from Mr. Jack Leatherman from the best that I can remember was out of either maybe Quail Creek Jimmy or either the name Fred keeps coming to mind. I know that his mother was Missouri Scooby Doo. Did you own these dogs or know of them. Bandit was probably a 65 # dark blue. He was a beautiful dog That could really run a track and a good tree dog. He did not have a good mouth. I took him to the vet and he said he had an abnormally small voice box. I let a friend of mine have him and he treed a lot of coons with him.

Old Post 11-27-2015 07:22 PM
quail ck kennel
UKC Forum Member

I sold jack half interest in Jimmy. He had a female he called missouri blue candy that was bred to Jimmy that produced scoby door .probably the Fred dog your thinking of was a half brother /sister cross out of Jimmy a hunting partner of mine had .jack bought him and Jacks brother Jim end up with him. I believe jack bred scoby door to Fred. That may be where the dog you had came from .scoby door one of the best track dogs I ever seen and wasn't afraid to look up and stay treed Fred was a super nice dog track and tree. He was a classy 120 bark a minute tree dog. Both dogs made grand nights

Old Post 11-27-2015 08:25 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smith's Blue Jim

Old Post 11-28-2015 05:34 PM