UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Why do you hunt your breed?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dairyman
UKC Forum Member

Why do you hunt your breed?

Maybe this has been done before, but tell us why you hunt your favorite breed. I started with a blue dog as a kid, ended up hunting walkers and had a couple that did an alright job. I recently started back with some walker dogs trying to introduce my boys to the fun I had with hounds as a kid/young man. I had a nice young dog stolen and then got a brain dead young walker gyp. I'm looking to move in a different direction and am interested in what you all have to say.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-29-2016 04:08 AM
dairyman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dairyman Click here to Send dairyman a Private Message Click Here to Email dairyman Find more posts by dairyman Add dairyman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I am not a good trainer and the genetics the walkers have make up for my shortcomings. I love all the breeds and have had about all of them at one time. The second thing is it took longer to find one to my liking in a breed outside the walker breed and to tell you the truth the good ones hunted and sounded like my walkers did. Yes they looked different but why go through so many dogs to find one to tree a coon for you. I just stuck with walkers.

Old Post 04-29-2016 12:17 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I switched to walkers 20 years ago cause I was gettin tired of gettin beat by one every weekend. I'm currently in the beginning stages of making arrangements to return to my roots thanks to some very dedicated hunters and breeders.

And as a bonus I shouldn't have to worry about anybody stealing my dog box Lmao.

Bruce that's for you and hobo lol

Old Post 04-29-2016 09:29 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Loosing must come easier the older you get or something lol.

Old Post 04-29-2016 09:55 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fatherof4
UKC Forum Member

English man at heart. I have tried them all and would always be disappointed until I got another English on the place. I've had a super walker dog once, a super Bluetick once, a super Plott once, a pair of nice Redbones once but have had several English dogs that I loved. It's really hard to explain but nothing else pleases me like a English. And I like the traditional Redtick coloring the best, even though the two I have now are not. Me male is white and red and my female is blue. But they have something special that I like. It's kinda like soda pops, I prefer Dr. Pepper but Coke is good. And If you are from PA then you have lots of good English bloodlines up your way. Wished there was more of that Hardtime bloodlines down this way.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Old Post 04-29-2016 11:06 PM
fatherof4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatherof4 Click here to Send fatherof4 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatherof4 Find more posts by fatherof4 Add fatherof4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Loosing must come easier the older you get or something lol.

Lol nah I'm too competitive to like losing even if the game is skipping rocks lol. I've got a couple nice walker
dogs that ain't goin anywhere. They gonna be my measuring sticks.

Old Post 04-29-2016 11:15 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

I had blueticks as a kid and loved them. I got out of coon hunting for about 25 years. When I got back in I was given a pretty good walker dog
and just kind of stuck with them.
One thing I would strongly agree with Bruce on is when I find an "off color" dog I like it's mostly because they "hunt like a walker".

Old Post 04-30-2016 12:08 AM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dairyman
UKC Forum Member

I had a guy tell me as a kid, " after you get through some dogs, you'll settle in on walkers. The %'s favor them." I know there are good ones in all breeds. You guys that have hunted other dogs, is there truth in that statement? I certainly don't want to invest to much time in sifting through a pile of dogs to get something that will get it done. If I'm following something, I want him to get up under game and not pick around all night doing it.

Old Post 04-30-2016 12:45 AM
dairyman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dairyman Click here to Send dairyman a Private Message Click Here to Email dairyman Find more posts by dairyman Add dairyman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

I'll hunt any breed if it's a coondog. My favorite is blueticks. I have had better luck with them.

But like I said I'll hunt any breed if it fits my style dog.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 04-30-2016 01:16 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens

And as a bonus I shouldn't have to worry about anybody stealing my dog box Lmao.

Bruce that's for you and hobo lol

lol

I started out hunting Blueticks, you couldn't give me a Walkerdawg... Then I lost my old Bluetick and called Mike Dohoney and ordered a Walker pup from him and I've been all Walkers ever since.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 05-04-2016 02:09 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

mine are not a breed but a categorey.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 05-04-2016 03:38 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CKThunderstruck
UKC Forum Member

"One dog changed it all" kind of thing. Never looked back

creasmankennels.weebly.com

Old Post 05-04-2016 05:16 AM
CKThunderstruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CKThunderstruck Click here to Send CKThunderstruck a Private Message Click Here to Email CKThunderstruck Visit CKThunderstruck's homepage! Find more posts by CKThunderstruck Add CKThunderstruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

What do you hunt?

Y'all make it sound like the first walker you try is gonna be it. I've seen guys go through ten walkers before they found one they liked.if you went through ten colored dogs would you find one you like ? Maybe walkers are easier to sort through cause they're available . Percentages yes

Old Post 05-04-2016 05:51 PM
gcblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gcblues Click here to Send gcblues a Private Message Find more posts by gcblues Add gcblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

I pretty picky.I hunt Walkers cause I can find the hunt,mouth,tree power,and accuracy all in one package.Ive raised several English dogs and never could get one with the right mouth.Never seen a Black and Tan that suited me.So I'll take the high road and hunt these Walkers.

Old Post 05-04-2016 06:02 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

I quit being color blind along time ago. I found I actually enjoy a crossbred hound out of great dogs a lot more. When I started focusing on the hunting aspect of it instead of what a large generation of printed names says , the fun came back into coonHUNTING for me anyways. Find you a successful bear hunter and look at his breeding practices. Granted there are some with certain breeds and some that breed any breed if it's got what it takes

Old Post 05-04-2016 07:12 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

When I got into it I trialed a couple walkers that were garbage and I ended getting a walker pup that was dumber than a stump, culled him and ended up with a bad taste for walkers in my mouth. These were all local dogs. I'm not one to want the same thing as the next guy so I went to Black and Tans purely cause I liked how they looked and traditionally performed. I don't comp hunt much and the B&Ts I have are more suited to hide hunting. I hunt with some friends who have walkers. The first walker that barks the other walkers jump in and tree, if it's slick my B&Ts usually are not there. Sure I'd loose points in a hunt if leaves were on. But I want a coon in a tree. I would like to try a Bluetick aswell. You'd have a hard time convincing me to get a walker again, just turned right off

Ps I have running walkers for yote and fox

Old Post 05-05-2016 12:36 AM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Havent really ever owned any of the other breeds. But i like what i see in blues. A close second are black and tans. Not the 2 quickest breeds but out of what ive seen is they tend to be more accurate and i love theyre mouths.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 05-05-2016 01:45 AM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

The reason that I hunt blue dogs is very simple, I am not a competition hunter and breed for dogs with cold noses. I train and keep my dogs in shape on coons but really prefer to hunt lions and bobcats. I hunt dry ground in rugged, rocky country and not only do these dogs have colder noses, their feet hold up way better in the rock. When I go to say, AZ to lion hunt, I may hunt a week or 10 days straight and that is really tough a dog's feet.
Back in the early 70's I raised walkers out of House's Chief and they were pretty good coon dogs if trailing conditions were good but lacked the versatility to be good cat or lion hounds. If I was a competition coon hunter, I would be hunting walkers.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 05-05-2016 04:52 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote