UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 3 month old pup just not interested in training?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BigHead
UKC Forum Member

3 month old pup just not interested in training?

My 3-month-old pup just not interested in trailing a coon hide. Unfortunately, I don't have an older dog to help with the process. Any tips or trick?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-30-2016 07:38 AM
BigHead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigHead Click here to Send BigHead a Private Message Find more posts by BigHead Add BigHead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1moredrop
UKC Forum Member

Pup

Be patient, it's literally 90days old. Take him on walks during the day. Let him learn all the smells of the woods never scold him for trailing off game at this age, mainly work on obedience training and riding in the box.. I know this isn't the answer you was probably looking for however it's your best bet.. The dogs you hear of that are treeing at 4 months old are few and far between... Learn your puppy and let him learn you

Old Post 04-30-2016 11:08 AM
1moredrop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1moredrop Click here to Send 1moredrop a Private Message Click Here to Email 1moredrop Find more posts by 1moredrop Add 1moredrop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1moredrop
UKC Forum Member

Pup

Be patient, it's literally 90days old. Take him on walks during the day. Let him learn all the smells of the woods never scold him for trailing off game at this age, mainly work on obedience training and riding in the box.. I know this isn't the answer you was probably looking for however it's your best bet.. The dogs you hear of that are treeing at 4 months old are few and far between... Learn your puppy and let him learn you

Old Post 04-30-2016 11:08 AM
1moredrop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1moredrop Click here to Send 1moredrop a Private Message Click Here to Email 1moredrop Find more posts by 1moredrop Add 1moredrop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

3 month old?

Are you being serious? Heck I generally don't start them until 6-8 months old, depending on the pup. Let it be a pup, take it for walks, let it run, play and build those muscles and bones.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 04-30-2016 11:52 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gladerunkennels
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pup

quote:
Originally posted by 1moredrop

Well said! People forget about the first thing you should with the pup, ( Obedience Training ). A average dog that is a dream to handle is worth more to me than one that could win every hunt it was put in but was a nightmare to handle in the woods. The pup will let you know when it is ready to be trained on coon. It might be 6 months or a year just keep after it and don't give up on it to soon. It seems to me the ones start early seems to have a break down after they turn a year old then you're beating your head against the wall on what happened until it comes back around.

Home of
Harvey's Glade Run nite ch Scoutin Lady
ZONE 3 FRIDAY NIGHT HIGH SCORING DOG
TOP 100 UKC WORLD FINALS
BBCHA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK FEMALE UKC WORLD FINALS
Harvey's Glade Run Beda
Harvey's Glade Run Hoss was sold and can not be bought back. Making a top bear hound.

Old Post 04-30-2016 02:10 PM
gladerunkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gladerunkennels Click here to Send gladerunkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email gladerunkennels Find more posts by gladerunkennels Add gladerunkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like a pup training a pup and both gotta lotta grow'in up to do.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-30-2016 02:56 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yes

You don't need a old dog! 3 mts old its ready to take to the timber!! get it out and just walk it around hr or so every day!! the pup can train you just as much as you train pup!!don't try to force it/ cage coon/drags!! learn from each other! if its in it!! it will come out!!

Old Post 04-30-2016 04:38 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote