UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Heterobilharzia Americana
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The vet seemed to think Tiger would be cured...here it is 2.5 weeks later and he will not eat regular dog food...I am thinking another trip to the vet for blood work...

I bought enough praziquantel on the internet to give another round but I will see what the vet recommends...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2021 06:49 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Ruben I totally agree with you I give mine ivermectin every two weeks. I hear a lot of folks out in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi along the river and swampy areas where the skeeters are bad say that heartworm are immune to ivomec but I think they need to increase how often they give it to the dogs. Good luck with yours and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 05-23-2021 06:58 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I been cutting him back off of raw hamburger, fried chicken ...I also been feeding other leftovers over a little dog food...he will eat the leftovers and leave the dog food...I will try to slowly wean him off of the everything except dog food...

Hopefully the blood analysis will help to diagnose the dogs issues...

Old Post 05-23-2021 11:19 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Last weekend the thought I had was to have Tiger put down...the first treatment with panacur and it didn’t work...it brought him back from his deathbed but after the treatment he got better for a few days and then relapsed...

Approximately 3 weeks later we started the panacur treatment again with the praziquantel per Vet prescription and instructions...

The praziquantel was 8-34mg tabs 3 times a day for two whole days...

So last week I thought about taking him to the vet to put him down...he was getting to the point that he would not eat anything...

I had ordered praziquantel from Amazon and it had arrived in the nick of time...

I followed the same schedule the vet set for me previously but doubled the dosage...and the last two doses on the second day I increased to 2.5 times

I cannot say he is going to make it but I am giving it one more chance to work...

Tiger is eating some dog food mixed with a little meat
and hopefully I will taper off the meat by the end of next week...

Old Post 06-05-2021 03:11 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Double post...

Last edited by Reuben on 06-05-2021 at 03:13 AM

Old Post 06-05-2021 03:11 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tiger is eating dog food close to what he normally ate before he got sick…he is getting pretty strong but is still mostly skin and bones…I am thinking he will start putting on weight as he gets better…

Old Post 06-11-2021 01:32 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I thought about putting Tiger down at least 3 or maybe 4 times…he looked that bad…
After the double dose treatment I gave him (same as the vets but double the amount per dose), he still kept going down hill…by the first few days in July he started eating…he was skin and bones and could barely stand…I slowly increased his food and mixed other foods to help eat…by the end of July he is eating close to normal ration dog food mixed with goat colostrum for baby goats and probiotics…

Early August he is back on normal rations and with a good appetite…he sniffed around the yard this morning and spun his four wheels…his rear legs didn’t fling much grass but he is on his way back…I see muscle tone building…

Old Post 08-14-2021 11:24 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Great news!!!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-15-2021 03:50 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thank you…I’m thinking in another month he should be looking his normal self…that’s if it all keeps going the same direction…

He had been eating grass maybe 6 months before he got sick to the point I noticed something was wrong…he finally quit grazing on certain grasses maybe 3 weeks ago, give or take a few days…

None of the other dogs have been eating grass so it probably had to do with this illness…

Old Post 08-15-2021 10:36 PM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Glad to hear he's getting better... guess you can say he's 10 ply!

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 08-17-2021 01:53 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Yep… he’s getting old but he’s been a tough one…

Old Post 08-17-2021 02:08 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Heterobilharzia Americana

This illness was never cured in my dog, Tiger…he died back in March of this year…he didn’t lose much weight after the treatment but there towards the end it was painful which seem to happen periodically for about 30 seconds and the all would be ok…and then it started happening more frequently…each time it happened he would bark and spinning…at that time I thought I should have the vet put him down…

This is a terrible illness and it’s a good thing it isn’t contagious and rare…

If it happens again I will lengthen the treatment once diagnosed and do it myself for about 40 bucks instead of a few thousand for starters…

Old Post 07-16-2022 03:04 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Heterobilharzia Americana

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
This illness was never cured in my dog, Tiger…he died back in March of this year…he didn’t lose much weight after the treatment but there towards the end it was painful which seem to happen periodically for about 30 seconds and the all would be ok…and then it started happening more frequently…each time it happened he would bark and spinning…at that time I thought I should have the vet put him down…

This is a terrible illness and it’s a good thing it isn’t contagious and rare…

If it happens again I will lengthen the treatment once diagnosed and do it myself for about 40 bucks instead of a few thousand for starters…

Sorry to hear you had to put him down. Until now yours and our Kansas friend are still the only diagnosed cases I've heard of.
I think you may be right on the $40 treatment take your chances on it and just worm the heck out of it!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-16-2022 06:46 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote