UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Blueticks > Blueticks at the world' why we caint win it
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
everett
UKC Forum Member

Blueticks at the world' why we caint win it

It's past time that the truth be told, First off the biggest hold back is us, our breed associations and I mean all of them, are more interested in cutting one another down than working together, lies are told, stories are straight up fabricated, a straight up recipe for division, This carry's right over into the various bloodlines that the breed is comprised of. Allen G. and I spoke a while back on some of these related issues and taking a moment to first be honest with myself I think now he was right, one for all and all for one, Taking a quote from the good book say's it all, 'A house divided can't stand; This has to start with us as individuals, honesty about our breed, it's few strengths, it's many weakness, work together to breed out what has held us back for so many years, that means throw the bloodline issue in the trash can, I realize this has been suggested numerous times in the past but has never been acted upon, The differences in opinions on what traits it takes to rise to the top is a dime a dozen, you can bet any football team with expectations of winning the national championship study's it's adversaries in preparation 0f there quest, All must be willing to compromise to achieve the Goal, willing to test our hounds in unfavorable conditions, everyone wants to hunt where the walking is easy and the coons are plentiful, that's all fun and great, but when the rubber meets the road the road don't always run down the fence line, in short' We need one Association that recognizes the need for change, Albert Einstein said it all to well, "quote" The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results. "unquote" I for one want to see a UKC Bluetick world champion, it's going to take change and compromise, when we can first accept that concept then act upon it together, THEN WE WILL HAVE OUR WORLD CHAMPION BLUE DOG..................Gerald

Blueticks of the Southern States

TEAM MAD DOG "Hunt Hard Hunt Offten"
IN REMEMBRANCE OF MAD DOG TIM VAUGHN

GRNITECH pr' MAD DOG ANTi UP JOKER co winner of the all blue world championship, Sire of 2014 UKC world hunt high scoring Bluetick male(Grnitech pr' Walz Coontree Joker)

GRNITECH pr' Mad Dog coon Poppin
Wacko (Shellly) 2014 BBOA Arkansas State Hunt Queen of Hunt High scoring Grntch.
2015 zone 7 championship Queen of hunt

Grnitech Grch pr' Mad Dog Hey Jude 2008 National Bluetick Days Queen of hunt, 2013 ACHA Little world hunt 5th place overall.

pr' Mad Dog Two Gun Rhino (Astro x Jude)

Pr' Mad Dog Two Gun Doll Baby ( Astro x Shelly)
Critter Light co. Owner/Dealer

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-23-2018 04:45 PM
everett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for everett Click here to Send everett a Private Message Click Here to Email everett Find more posts by everett Add everett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

I would love to see a bluetick win it all.I agree with some of your points of view but not on some. If having only 1 association is the answer how do the Walkers and English win more than anyone with more associations than any other breed? It's more about having and hunting the right kind of dog than anything along with some luck imo.

Southern Thunder Bluetick Kennels

At Stud: GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S BLUE WHIP
PERFORMANCE SIRE $300 STUD FEE

HOME OF: GRNITECH GRCH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX
2015 TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPION
2015 PURINA RACE BREED CHAMPION
2015 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITECH BLUETICK
2015 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2015 AUTUMN OAKS BBOA / BBCHA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 WINTER CLASSIC DOUBLE CAST WINNER PURINA POINTS EVENT
2015 WINTER CLASSIC BBOA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 ARKANSAS STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 MISSOURI STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 KENTUCKY STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 INDIANA STATE PURINA CONTEDER CAST WINNER
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA TEXAS STATE CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA YOUTH NATIONALS CAST WINNER 2ND OVERALL HIGH SCORE
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 HOUND OF THE YEAR
2015 BBOA/BBCHA GRAND REUNION RQE 1ST PLACE IOWA
2015 BBOA NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL CAST WINNER / 1ST RUNNER UP
2015 ELBERT VAUGHN MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BILL JACKSON MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BOOMER SOONER CLASSIC CHAMPION
2015 WESTERN ENGLISH SPRING CLASSIS CAST WINNER
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP CAST WINNER
2015 BLUETICK CHALLENGE CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UKC WORLD HUNT CAST WINNER
2016 PURINA NATIONALS CAST WINNER / BREED CHAMPION / HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
5 Time World Qualifier and 3 Peat Zone Champion
Too many wins to list them all
2020 Performance Sire at Stud
GRCH GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX

Thanks to everyone who has breed to Crocket or is hunting one of his offspring

Last edited by southernthunder on 09-23-2018 at 05:48 PM

Old Post 09-23-2018 05:08 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drummerblue2
UKC Forum Member

Everett

I agree with you I firmly believe the good book and what it says about a divided house..In my hounest opinion I think we can get it done with a blue dog ,and here is how I think we can do it .I think if a bunch of us blue tickers would get r heads together and work together with the common goal to win the world hunt I think we could make it happen but we must forget about blood lines and the associations and focus on the one goal wining the world hunt I believe there is hounds in the breed that have the tools. We just need to work together there will never be one breeder are handler make it all happen it will take a group effort .to many breeders and hunters and associations wanting the glory that's why blue hasn't done much compared to others just my way of thinking have a good day.

Old Post 09-23-2018 08:35 PM
Drummerblue2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drummerblue2 Click here to Send Drummerblue2 a Private Message Find more posts by Drummerblue2 Add Drummerblue2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't get to hunt with many blue dogs but I try to as often as possible. I have not seen any good enough yet honestly. It takes a really special dog I feel. Sure I have seen some good blues. Even some winners but not much to get excited about. It Will take luck but a special dog as well. I would like to see 1 association but I don't see were that matters 1 way or another. Bloodlines I don't think matter as much as traits. Traits now that is were the blues have problems. If ya need a trait in the walkers it's not hard to figure out were to start looking for it. Ya need a trait in the blues well good luck figuring out were to start looking. God forbid someone talks about a blue dog like they would trackman, rat,clover ,Harry or lipper blood. I don't think it matters if it is a group of fellows or a single person either. Why would that matter? Not all world champions were group owned or hunted. We could use some serious hunters. How do we do that? My guess would be with some serious blue talent.

Old Post 09-24-2018 12:03 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

pam

I have hunted blue dogs for 30 plus years, and have seen the best in the breed and the worst, with that said I will answer your question as to one person producing consistent top level blue dogs, the ukc world hunt format was first held in 1978, a walker male named Loomis tom won it, I probably misspelled the first name lol, how ever since 1978 there has not been one single breeder in the bluetick breed that has produced a blue dog that carry's the title ukc world night hunt champion, it's going to take as Jason said a group of us guys/ladies coming together and putting the right stuff together to achieve the traits it takes to go win it all with some level of constancy, There are several blue dogs out there have some of the trait's that it will take to accomplish the goal, however after 40 years of coming up short I would say it's safe to say no one blue breeder has it all. As far as Ass. is concerned it should be an organized effort to promote and better the breed in it's use that the Ass. is envolving the breed in, In this case it is comp. hunts, over the last 30 years I have seen division between the blue Ass. that created walls and boundries among it's members from one side to the next. There has been crosses that absolutely should have been made but never happened due to the separation, with that said this is in no means an attempt to bad mouth any person's or Ass. Without the realization that change is needed another 40 years will probably render pretty much the same result, This is not a negative post it is a positive post that is meant to arouse a fire in our hunters and breeders that say's to them we can do this if we just work together, sometimes sand paper is needed to scratch through the rough exterior to get down to the real suface, then you can polish the and shine things up........Gerald

GRNITECH pr' MAD DOG ANTi UP JOKER co winner of the all blue world championship, Sire of 2014 UKC world hunt high scoring Bluetick male(Grnitech pr' Walz Coontree Joker)

Wacko (Shellly) 2014 BBOA Arkansas State Hunt Queen of Hunt High scoring Grntch.

Grnitech Grch pr' Mad Dog Hey Jude 2008 National Bluetick Days Queen of hunt, 2013 ACHA Little world hunt 5th place overall.

Last edited by everett on 09-25-2018 at 12:23 AM

Old Post 09-24-2018 03:48 AM
everett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for everett Click here to Send everett a Private Message Click Here to Email everett Find more posts by everett Add everett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

Re: pam

quote:
Originally posted by everett
I have hunted blue dogs for 30 plus years, and have seen the best in the breed and the worst, with that said I will answer your question as to one person producing consistent top level blue dogs, the ukc world hunt format was first held in 1972, a walker male named Loomis tom won it, I probably misspelled the first name lol, how ever since 1972 there has not been one single breeder in the bluetick breed that has produced a blue dog that carry's the title ukc world night hunt champion, it's going to take as Jason said a group of us guys/ladies coming together and putting the right stuff together to achieve the traits it takes to go win it all with some level of constancy, There are several blue dogs out there have some of the trait's that it will take to accomplish the goal, however after 46 years of coming up short I would say it's safe to say no one blue breeder has it all. As far as Ass. is concerned it should be an organized effort to promote and better the breed in it's use that the Ass. is envolving the breed in, In this case it is comp. hunts, over the last 30 years I have seen division between the blue Ass. that created walls and boundries among it's members from one side to the next. There has been crosses that absolutely should have been made but never happened due to the separation, with that said this is in no means an attempt to bad mouth any person's or Ass. Without the realization that change is needed another 46 years will probably render pretty much the same result, This is not a negative post it is a positive post that is meant to arouse a fire in our hunters and breeders that say's to them we can do this if we just work together, sometimes sand paper is needed to scratch through the rough exterior to get down to the real suface, then you can polish the and shine things up........Gerald

Actually first UKC world hunt was in 1978. Allen actually talked about it at the finals this year, not that there is a big difference in 46 unsuccessful years vs 40, I'm just kind of picky on facts.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 09-24-2018 12:53 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: pam

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
Actually first UKC world hunt was in 1978. Allen actually talked about it at the finals this year, not that there is a big difference in 46 unsuccessful years vs 40, I'm just kind of picky on facts.

Your so picky lol

2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT

Old Post 09-24-2018 02:00 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yep, I don't know where I my brain got 72 from, getting old I recon lol.....Gerald

Old Post 09-24-2018 08:12 PM
everett
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yep, I don't know where I my brain got 72 from, getting old I recon lol.....Gerald

Old Post 09-24-2018 08:12 PM
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: pam

quote:
Originally posted by everett

Old is an understatement lol

Old Post 09-24-2018 09:51 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Gerald I have thought about what your saying and I still feel that would be a rather weak excuse.
To me I feel the blueticks are very well balanced group of dogs which is a positive thing but I also feel it hinders the breed from having as many extremely outstanding individuals.

Old Post 09-25-2018 01:40 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

By no means am I trying to act like I have an answer for why we can't win the UKC World, just observations like most everyone else. Some good points have been raised here and usually are after we loose every year. One of the hardest things to do for most of us is to recognize someone else's achievements without a little bit of jealousy or envy. That's human nature, we all are guilty! Put that aside and look what you're leading and then what you need to be leading. If you're satisfied with what you have and don't want to advance, than good but if not, look farther than your own kennel/bloodline. All of us have our own special type of Bluetick or bloodline but that doesn't mean it couldn't get better. My days of hopes of hunting in the World are over but I still strive to have a better dog and will never quit. I have had most every line of bluetick within the breed and am not afraid to try something new regardless of what someone else thinks. Everyone gets a dog finished to Gr Nite and thinks its worthy of winning a world hunt. We need to look at what consistently gets to the top and ask ourselves why this happens. It's usually a combination of dog power, handler, conditions, terrain, and lastly, luck. IMO, the first is the most important! I have never made it to the world but have taken my best to breed to the best at that time, no matter what bloodline they were. That's how it's done and even then you may not get what you want but it's better than setting on the sidelines. As far as breed associations, I belong to both because I promote the Bluetick hound, not the association. If someone gets mad because we step outside the circle then maybe it's better that they step out instead of you stepping back in. I have now the nicest female I've had in years and when it comes time, you can bet I will carry her to what I consider the best no matter what Bluetick bloodline it is. Hope everyone had a wonderful day and congrats to Curley Jane and all the other Blueticks that participated.

Old Post 09-25-2018 02:20 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Blue Dogs & Elimination Style Hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
By no means am I trying to act like I have an answer for why we can't win the UKC World, just observations like most everyone else. Some good points have been raised here and usually are after we lose every year.

We need to look at what consistently gets to the top and ask ourselves why this happens.

Ron, I agree

If this discussion has happened once, it's happened a hundred times!

If the point of this discussion is to win Elimination Style hunts with a Blue dog, wouldn't a good starting point be to enter up ole Blue in multiple Elimination Style hunts & see how he/she stacks up? With the exception of the UKC World hunt, very few Blue dog owners will enter up in these style hunts in any other registry. Why is that?

Would a good starting point be to have a look at the few Blue dogs that have had some success in multiple Elimination Style hunts & pick those dog's owners/breeders brains? How many folks that have commented on this thread (including the originator) have entered ole Blue in an Elimination Style hunt this year where there were over 25 dogs present?

Until ole Blue starts getting entered up against some of the most elite Elimination Style hunt winning hounds in the country, we are still setting exactly where we are at.

Heaven forbid Blue dog owners seek the council of an unaffiliated & unbiased individual that has been very successful in Elimination Style hunts & ask for their critique.

Bottom line, kennel blindness, Breed Assoc. division, etc. are all convenient excuses fueled by a personal agenda the majority of the time.

Hunt ole Blue, & enter ole Blue up ..... that is the starting point that needs to be gotten to first.

These ramblings & a couple $$ are good for a cup of Java at some fine establishments

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:03 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

hunt ole blue and enter ole blue

Thats your starting point, well that's a 40 year starting point, its past time to move on from what hasn't worked, but I didn't post this to try to influence anyone who is satisfied where they and their hounds are, this was meant for no doubt a select few that are willing to step outside the block and work on traits that us few feel will give our breed a better shot, but the saying goes talk is cheap, let's wait and see, good luck and hunting ole blue....Gerald

Old Post 09-25-2018 07:11 PM
Major18
UKC Forum Member

Hate to tell y'all this but Vic is correct. The blue dogs problem has always been the same one. When you start the hunt with only a 10 to 20% chance of winning, it takes a lot more luck than if you start with an 80% chance. If you believe that there are no blue dogs out there that could have won that final cast, you need to get out of the house more. There are a small handful of dogs in every breed that are hard to beat, but even those dogs catch a bad break every now and then.
If blue dogs want to win the world hunt, then you have to have enough of them show up.
Thirty years ago I wrote a column for bluetick association. I always ended the column with " You can't win, if you're not there." Jay Williams

Congratulations to the blue dogs that competed!

Last edited by Major18 on 09-25-2018 at 09:25 PM

Old Post 09-25-2018 08:09 PM
Major18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Major18 Click here to Send Major18 a Private Message Click Here to Email Major18 Find more posts by Major18 Add Major18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

history dont agree

quote:
Originally posted by Major18
Hate to tell y'all this but Vic is correct. The blue dogs problem has always been the same one. When you start the hunt with only a 10 to 20% chance of winning, it takes a lot more luck than if you start with an 80% chance. If you believe that there are no blue dogs out there that could have won that final cast, you need to get out of the house more. There are a small handful of dogs in every breed that are hard to beat, but even those dogs catch a bad break every now and then.
If blue dogs want to win the world hunt, then you have to have enough of them show up.
Thirty years ago I wrote a column for bluetick association. I always ended the column with " You can't win, if you're not there." Jay Williams

Congratulations to the blue dogs that competed!

I'm in no way convinced of that, black dogs , English, even a plott has proven that the numbers theory is just an excuse, we have had 4 or 5 over the years in the final cast but could not come out top dog, To them I say congrats and great job but the works not done, look at the number of blue dogs that went to the finals vs the number of English, not that much of a difference , then 1 blue dog moves on, 9 English move on, each blue dog had the opportunity to win his cast but came up short except 1, if that's exceptable for you that's awesome, but it don't make the cut for me, I'll be concentrating on improving traits in what I lead, time will tell, no excuses will be made......Gerald

Old Post 09-25-2018 10:47 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Well said Gerald!

Old Post 09-26-2018 01:40 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

These are real questions, I’m not trying to stir the pot. Where are we falling short? What traits are we missing? Can we identify them? Is it the ability of the hounds or us, as handlers?

Old Post 09-26-2018 04:34 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

traits

quote:
Originally posted by BigContry
These are real questions, I’m not trying to stir the pot. Where are we falling short? What traits are we missing? Can we identify them? Is it the ability of the hounds or us, as handlers?

Tommy, on several occasions I have ask the question for public opinion as a means of research, most bluetickers say they want colder nosed dogs, I have no problem with that if a hound has the brains to use his nose correctly, unfortunately the larger percentage of blue dogs does not, most have to stick their nose in the dirt and make every step the coon did as well as over using their mouth, the main missing trait is layup ability, think of this, If a hound can wind a coon In a tree that has not yet been down and fall treed on it, it only stands to reason that when running/trailing a coon that when the hound comes within the vicinity of where the coon went up he can pick the tree much quicker rather than have to trail or work a track all the way to the tree, on the track issue, we need drifting type track dogs, no matter the conditions of the track, blueticks have not inherited the nick name booticks for no reason, I have these traits in my kennel and am going to breed to inhance these traits so they become dominate traits when I breed, these are the traits I'll be looking for when I breed a female or a male. As far as handlers, we have had some of the best, you can enter the Indy 500 with a vw bug and put Gordon, Ernhart, petty, whoever, but the odds are just slim to bet on the bug, You have to have the right engine, tires, the vehicle has to have the right tools no matter who's behind the wheel...... Gerald

Last edited by everett on 09-26-2018 at 07:34 PM

Old Post 09-26-2018 06:49 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Gerald, from the small sample I've seen, I think you're on the right track.

Old Post 09-26-2018 07:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

John Vaught as a question on the message board a few years ago that I put some thought into which was "do the blue dogs as a whole have the traits needed to put into one dog to produce a blue dog with the tools capable of winning the World Hunt". I thought about it and my answer was sure. The blue dogs have individual dogs with top end tools in any area that could add to the total tools a super dog would need to compete at the highest level. I then started looking at the Walker dogs pedigrees that were winning in the money hunts and big hunts. I noticed that most of them didn't go back to old so and so several times, they usually had 4 great grandsires that were the dominant studs in the Walker dogs history, along with top females, and their ancestors came from different lines of dogs.

I put a thread on here once and ask the question of "if you were going to get tree power, what dog or line would you go to?"," if you were looking for loudness which do?", :if you needed track speed, what dog or line would you go to?", etc. etc. The thing with the Walker breed is that they know where to go in the breeding department to get what they need to add in their dogs which makes them be able to add or strengthen traits in their dogs. I realize they also throw duds but they do throw more dogs that get their pictures taken.

A few years ago I ask different groups of guys who all favored different bloodlines of blue dogs where to go to get dogs with the most track speed. All of them said to go with the bloodlines of dogs that they were hunting. There was only one guy, who I won't mention, who said something different. This particular guy is now getting a reputation in our breed for being able to produce some blue dogs that are above average. I think the first thing in improvement overall is to recognize that somebody else might be packing something a little bit better than we are packing, even if that isn't true, just to keep us all humble and looking for something better.

Old Post 09-26-2018 09:08 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

While I'm on a rant, not that I'm anybody but I've been around a little bit anyway, I will add a couple of other things.

Bluetick guys seem to like their money a little bit more than some of the other breeds. If I was a young guy, and hadn't have been born into a bluetick family, I might look at the rewards and efforts of my work if I didn't have any allegiance to any breed. I hear often of Walkers being sold for 10K or more at young ages with money won in the money registries or even just a super nice young prospect. Litters of pups being sold for a lot more than bluetick guys get out of theirs as another example. So my question is, why would one of these young hard hunting young guys get into blueticks if they were into competition hunting? Their reward vs expense is way better in a couple of the other breeds and they don't have to fight an uphill battle to see the improvements, just get a well bred pup, hunt the hair off of it and then go from there. You see a lot of younger guys getting their pictures taken now a days and they aren't holding the tail up on on a blue dog.

Another thing is that the Walker guys specifically aren't afraid to go out and breed to a young dog who has proven that he has the traits necessary to go win a bigger elimination style hunt. If he's winning, and is out of dogs that are proven where they know he wasn't some kind of fluke, they aren't afraid to go breed to the dog. Then if the dog is a good reproducer they will be proven at a younger age and then more people will breed to the dog so that the dog gets fully utilized during the course of it's life. If the dog doesn't reproduce then he will definitely flame out before he is overly used. With Blueticks, the dogs that win don't usually get used until they are a "proven reproducer" and then they are usually old and close to sterility or death before they are used like they should be and then we don't get the full benefit of the best stud dogs. Or, because they are waiting to be proven, some top dogs don't get used at all. Or, some crosses that could have really clicked, although that male wasn't super dominate in one trait, don't get made. I can think of one top blue dog, with a good pedigree, that placed in the top 25 of both the UKC and PKC World Championship in the same year that probably 99% or more of the bluetick guys don't even know exists and isn't getting used at all. That dog is also ligher colored than most bluetick guys prefer so that is another hold back that we know exists in breeding better performing blueticks. Did anyone else notice the 5th place dog in this years World Hunt? If that was a bluetick how many times do you think that dog would be bred to?

Old Post 09-26-2018 09:24 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Gerald don't take this the wrong way. I want to pick your brain a little on the lay up dog your talking about. I figure you have way more wisdom and experience than me on this subject.
Here is my view of the lay up dog your talking about. It sounds good but most are just takin a guess which tree so poor accuracy goes hand n hand with this type dog. Not very appealing. Great ones would be very few and far between. Breeding for it seems like a nightmare. Then they still probably need to be a really good track dog or stay away from tracks all together.
Am I close or in left field?

Old Post 09-27-2018 12:52 AM
everett
UKC Forum Member

layup ability

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Gerald don't take this the wrong way. I want to pick your brain a little on the lay up dog your talking about. I figure you have way more wisdom and experience than me on this subject.
Here is my view of the lay up dog your talking about. It sounds good but most are just takin a guess which tree so poor accuracy goes hand n hand with this type dog. Not very appealing. Great ones would be very few and far between. Breeding for it seems like a nightmare. Then they still probably need to be a really good track dog or stay away from tracks all together.

I understand were you ate coming from. However a true layup dog is the most accurate hound you will ever go to the woods with, when they first start out you will experience young dogs missing a tree or two over, that's perfectly normal. As they gain experience they will get very accurate, now with that said. It's like any other traits in our hounds, they must have the brains to use it, but that is necessary in any trait to perform at a top level, you will find, sometimes tree happy hounds can be mislabeled as a hound trying to lay a coon up and looks like a terrible mess which is exactly what it is, layup ability is like any other trait it can be developed and perfected through proper breeding practices and the most useful asset to separate a tree hound can posses. Hope this helps.....Gerald

Old Post 09-27-2018 01:58 AM
everett
UKC Forum Member

layup ability

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

I understand were you ate coming from. However a true layup dog is the most accurate hound you will ever go to the woods with, when they first start out you will experience young dogs missing a tree or two over, that's perfectly normal. As they gain experience they will get very accurate, now with that said. It's like any other traits in our hounds, they must have the brains to use it, but that is necessary in any trait to perform at a top level, you will find, sometimes tree happy hounds can be mislabeled as a hound trying to lay a coon up and looks like a terrible mess which is exactly what it is, layup ability is like any other trait it can be developed and perfected through proper breeding practices and the most useful asset to separate a tree hound can posses. Hope this helps.....Gerald

Old Post 09-27-2018 01:58 AM