UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breed of choice?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Turquoisebird
New UKC Forum Member

Breed of choice?

I’ve only ever had blueticks. Generally just love their loving nature with the family, friendliness, and beautiful voice. Nice to look at too. What is your breed of choice and why? I’m always curious what people pick and why. If you started with something else first then made a switch would like to know about that too.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2021 07:09 AM
Turquoisebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Turquoisebird Click here to Send Turquoisebird a Private Message Find more posts by Turquoisebird Add Turquoisebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I started back in the mid 60's with some mixed hounds. Then I got a registered Walker pup probably because it came available in my area. I also purchased a reg plott pup from the area. Then around 1970 I got a couple blue pups for Cathy Jones in Iowa. Had them shipped down to Miami, FL and one made a real dog and the other one made a good dog. I don't admit this often but I think I should have stuck with Blue Dogs. I had spent a lot of time studying the walker bloodlines and taked to many of the old time breeders as I wanted to know what made this dogs click. Over the years I had had one or two nice ones from about every breed. Seen several real nice ones from every breed also. I just kept going back to walkers for two reasons. The first is I felt I knew more about their pedigrees that any other breed and enjoyed that. Second is the good ones, no matter what breed they were they were all just about the same. Just colored different. So I just stuck what walkers. There is a yearning in me to get a blue dog again. But that may not happen. To each their own and we can all find happiness in a different colored dog. The Joy is just having one of any color calling you to a tree.

Old Post 02-07-2021 12:14 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Looks

Always wanted a good black and tan female or a nice plot female but they are rare and even more, rarely for sale. Walkers performance wise are gonna be very hard to beat...

Old Post 02-07-2021 02:34 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted with every breed. I have owned almost every breed at some point. I have Had mostly only blueticks for the past 10 or 15 years and love them
Started with mixed breeds in the early 80's it wasn't long and I had registered Walkers and had the attitude there was nothing better. Wow how wrong could I have been? There are good and bad in every breed.
Keel Johnson

Old Post 02-07-2021 02:58 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I have owned every breed except leapard hound. I have seen good dogs in every breed ecept leapardI(I have never hunted with any). A good dog is a good dog but a pup at my house belonging to me will be black!

Old Post 02-07-2021 08:28 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Leopards, Plotts and Plott cur crosses. I'm not a follower, I like to have something different from most.

Old Post 02-07-2021 11:19 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turquoisebird
New UKC Forum Member

Re: Looks

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Always wanted a good black and tan female or a nice plot female but they are rare and even more, rarely for sale. Walkers performance wise are gonna be very hard to beat...

I’ve noticed that walkers seem to consistently win in events. They also seem to be the most popular. I’m just beginning to try to get into coon hunting. I have someone lined up who has agreed to help me and be a mentor, but I don’t want to bug them all the time with small questions. I do plan to start seriously looking for a pup next month and wanted to learn more of why people go with the breed they choose.

Old Post 02-07-2021 11:57 PM
Turquoisebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Turquoisebird Click here to Send Turquoisebird a Private Message Find more posts by Turquoisebird Add Turquoisebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Looks

quote:
Originally posted by Turquoisebird
I’ve noticed that walkers seem to consistently win in events. They also seem to be the most popular. I’m just beginning to try to get into coon hunting. I have someone lined up who has agreed to help me and be a mentor, but I don’t want to bug them all the time with small questions. I do plan to start seriously looking for a pup next month and wanted to learn more of why people go with the breed they choose.

First of all.. if your mentor is a real coon hunter, don't worry about bothering them with too many questions. I've yet to meet a respectable houndsman that doesn't like to run their mouth about dogs, lol.

As far as which breed... I started as a kid hunting black and tans, and had a couple redbones... primarily because that was what people around me were hunting. I've had an English I really liked. I got out of hounds for a time, and when I got back into it Walkers were just more available for where I was. You can likely find fast, slow, sharp looking, ugly, hot nosed, cold nosed, smart, dumb hounds with any kind of paint job you want now-a-days.

dk

Old Post 02-08-2021 12:57 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Looks

quote:
Originally posted by Turquoisebird

The absolute beat advise I could give you is go away from the “getting a pup” part. Save a little money and buy one that’s doing it. Pups can really really be daunting to beginners. Especially being as less than 25-30% of them make a actual Coon dog. Find you a dog that is 5/7 years old that tree a Coon consistent and have fun. You will learn more that way than you will trying to raise a pup. I promise.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 02-09-2021 07:47 AM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Looks

quote:
Originally posted by MARSHALL AYERS
The absolute beat advise I could give you is go away from the “getting a pup” part. Save a little money and buy one that’s doing it. Pups can really really be daunting to beginners. Especially being as less than 25-30% of them make a actual Coon dog. Find you a dog that is 5/7 years old that tree a Coon consistent and have fun. You will learn more that way than you will trying to raise a pup. I promise.

This is the best advice you'll get. A season behind a decent older dog will teach you more than any message board or mentor possibly could.

Old Post 02-09-2021 01:00 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Yup..........dogs can teach people a lot! There biggest problem is finding people who will listen!

Old Post 02-09-2021 03:17 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Blueticks

Blueticks is what my father had and hunted so grew up hunting Blueticks. I’ve also had a Bluetick x Plott cross, Treeing Walker and a couple English.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 02-11-2021 12:50 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

My grandfather hunted High Tans. So my mom got a black and tan pup from the pound when I was a kid that I grew up with. So when I decided I wanted to coon hunt I got black and tans. 20 yrs later I hunt my own line of dogs, started from that 1st pup I got. If I didn't have my own line of dogs I would have no problem hunting Certain walker lines, English lines and Redbones. I haven't been in the woods with a line of blues or Plotts I would take a chance on. I'm talking about lines, i'm not saying there aren't nice ones out there. I like blood that you know what your going to get for the most part. It's just up to you on how much work your willing to put into it.

Old Post 02-11-2021 01:36 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I have had them all at one time or another, stuck with English dogs for 20 years or so, but in the past five years I have been messing with leopards. I like the leopards a lot they kinda remind me of the older hounds from the late 80’s / early 90’s. They have a head full of sense.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 02-12-2021 12:03 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BILL HUBBARD
UKC Forum Member

walkers and blueticks

Hunted for 43 years now. Ive owned redbones, english, walkers and Blueticks. Had my most success with Walkers. Right now i have a Bluetick female whos pretty nice little hound.

Old Post 02-13-2021 03:43 PM
BILL HUBBARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BILL HUBBARD Click here to Send BILL HUBBARD a Private Message Find more posts by BILL HUBBARD Add BILL HUBBARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BILL HUBBARD
UKC Forum Member

walkers and blueticks

Hunted for 43 years now. Ive owned redbones, english, walkers and Blueticks. Had my most success with Walkers. Right now i have a Bluetick female whos pretty nice little hound.

Old Post 02-13-2021 03:44 PM
BILL HUBBARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BILL HUBBARD Click here to Send BILL HUBBARD a Private Message Find more posts by BILL HUBBARD Add BILL HUBBARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hunted for about 63 years with about an 18 year span where I didn't have time. Hunted with all breeds at least once I think. My Dad was a blue tick guy but eventually we were both hunting walkers. I had a couple of pretty nice Black dogs in there also. Right now I'm hunting 2 walkers that are pretty nice dogs. BUT!!! I'm getting a B&T pup in about 6 weeks. Just want to have one more nice Black dog.

Old Post 02-13-2021 03:56 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hunted for about 63 years with about an 18 year span where I didn't have time. Hunted with all breeds at least once I think. My Dad was a blue tick guy but eventually we were both hunting walkers. I had a couple of pretty nice Black dogs in there also. Right now I'm hunting 2 walkers that are pretty nice dogs. BUT!!! I'm getting a B&T pup in about 6 weeks. Just want to have one more nice Black dog.

Old Post 02-13-2021 03:56 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote