UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Watch out for ol wily coyote
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

Watch out for ol wily coyote

Went hunting by the house last night and had both dogs jumped by coyotes. Happened about 1 hr apart. Got my male on the tree and my female while she was hunting along a creek. She got chewed on pretty good, but she'll be fine I think. I'm going to keep an eye on her. Pup seems fine physically, but spooked him pretty bad. Everybody be careful out there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-17-2023 02:45 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Here in Ohio, females have pups and very territorial. I don't hunt as much for about 6 weeks till they start leaving the den. I have had dogs ran back to the truck

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 05-18-2023 01:16 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I remember a couple nights I couldn't tell who was chasing who lol. Little bit of both I believe.

Old Post 05-18-2023 01:18 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

northern WI

I have always heard the coyotes , and sometimes within less than 100 yards of me. Last week was the first time they actually chased my dogs.

Old Post 05-18-2023 06:59 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I live in central Missouri and our coyote population is extremely high. My dogs have been chased back to me more times than I can count. On 2 occasions, I've shot a coyote from less than 10 ft. Using a lighted collar has reduced these situations. Its probably just a matter of time before they get used to this but for now I'm convinced it helps.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 05-18-2023 10:45 AM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

The suckers are bad around here and always have been. Have had dogs run off a tree before, but never actually bit until the other night. Travis, how does that collar light affect the battery life - should I be worried about leaving it on slow or fast blink during a normal hunt (2-3 hrs) and having the battery die?

Old Post 05-18-2023 03:00 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I run my collars on slow blink. 4or5 hrs. Never had one go dead. I had a female that sometimes would get back in the dog box when I turned her out. I finally figured out that if she smelled coyote she wasn't going.

Old Post 05-18-2023 03:11 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Watch out for ol wily coyote

Bingo!

Coyotes are very aggressive when they have pups. I have a good friend who moved from NH to TN n the mid 1990’s.
Over the years he’s had several times where coyotes have come together as a pair and come after his dogs. It’s always been in spring and early summer.

It happens here in the NE too yet I’ve been fortunate and have had only occasional instances. Don’t need more than one hand to count them over the past 46 years.

quote:
Originally posted by KYBlue Cooner
Went hunting by the house last night and had both dogs jumped by coyotes. Happened about 1 hr apart. Got my male on the tree and my female while she was hunting along a creek. She got chewed on pretty good, but she'll be fine I think. I'm going to keep an eye on her. Pup seems fine physically, but spooked him pretty bad. Everybody be careful out there.

Old Post 05-18-2023 03:29 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

My collar light is on continuous mode and I can go a couple of weeks without charging. That's hunting 2-3 times per week

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 05-18-2023 05:23 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I run my collars on slow blink. 4or5 hrs. Never had one go dead. I had a female that sometimes would get back in the dog box when I turned her out. I finally figured out that if she smelled coyote she wasn't going.

Originally posted by Travis O.
My collar light is on continuous mode and I can go a couple of weeks without charging. That's hunting 2-3 times per week.

Good deal, thanks for the info. Going to try this next time out.

Old Post 05-18-2023 06:42 PM