UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Have a question for the more experienced hunters
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Have a question for the more experienced hunters

Is it possible to take a 2 year old female redbone who hasn't been messed with hardly any and make her into a good coonhound that will track and tree a coon? A man is offering to give me a female because he hasnt had the time to mess with her. I've not got the money to afford a started dog for the price of a 1000 to 1500 hundred dollars like people are saying them for now days. I'm just getting back into hunting and fixing to start going every night like I used to but having trouble getting started back because the price of started hounds now. Back when I was hunting I could get a started dog for 500 or 600 hundred dollars but cant find one like that anymore or at least haven't been able to. Just wondering if I'd be wasting my time or is it possible?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2020 05:27 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Very possible. Just have to put in the time and be honest about what is happening. Good Luck.
If a man is doing what he can afford to do and is enjoying it. He is not wasting his time. You will only be wasting your time, once you evaluate the dog yourself and you determine that the dog is not going to work out for you. Which is probably better than a 50% chance it won't. But you never know until you try.

Old Post 05-09-2020 11:34 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some of my favorite dogs of my life were dogs somebody gave me because they didn’t have time for them. The price of a dog a lot of times has little to do with quality.

Tar

Old Post 05-09-2020 12:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If she isn’t shy you will know pretty quick if she has potential...if she has it she can make a top hound...

Old Post 05-09-2020 12:59 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Price usually reflects the owner not the dog. Go for it you never know

Old Post 05-09-2020 01:01 PM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

If she has it in her

She can turn out!!! Got a male walker years ago because of divorcing couple. He was only house dog , quickly made nt. Champion and even won Wisconsin coonhunters overall dog for the year -at their events . Goid luck!! And let us all know!

Old Post 05-09-2020 01:37 PM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

It’s all in the hound—

Price or Titles don’t make you a hound.

I have had some of my best hounds given to me because their owners didn’t have time to hunt them or they didn’t please them

I just bought one now, got over a thousand in him and after a month of working him, he’s NOT got it and he’s going to a friends place to be a pet, which he does very well.

Bottom line-if you got the time and a few bags of feed you should know in a short time “If” it is worth your time and feed😉

The way I look at my hounds is the same as when I managed my employees. I have a standard I expect them to meet and if they don’t, their gone and I move on. Never lower your standards, that’s the secret.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited by OLD TIMER on 05-09-2020 at 02:36 PM

Old Post 05-09-2020 01:41 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

One of the best Walker females I ever hunted with was my neighbor was given a two year old walker female that had been a house dog in town. She had all the right genes in the right place and in a short period of time made a top hound with a beautiful mouth. She was a pleasure to hunt with and when she died I lost a good huntin buddy cause he quit.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 05-09-2020 02:11 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I guess by "more experienced" you mean us old guys that have been hunting for 50 years, lol, but everything I have seen says if she would have made a good dog hunted at 12 months she will be a good dog started at 2 years old.

Last edited by Preacher Tom on 05-09-2020 at 05:43 PM

Old Post 05-09-2020 04:28 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If it's in there it will come out if given the opportunity

Old Post 05-09-2020 04:43 PM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

I've heard Redbone guys not even try to start their hounds until they get around 2.

You should be fine. Give the ole red a try and welcome back!

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 05-09-2020 06:02 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Why don't you take that same money and invest in a good solid dependable old hound, once you got a dog you can depend on, that you can hunt a young dog with, you can build a dog. You'll find too, that a started dog advertised today ain't necessarily started, you'll probably drive a lot of miles looking for both, but that's part of it. Good Luck.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 05-10-2020 02:07 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
Why don't you take that same money and invest in a good solid dependable old hound, once you got a dog you can depend on, that you can hunt a young dog with, you can build a dog. You'll find too, that a started dog advertised today ain't necessarily started, you'll probably drive a lot of miles looking for both, but that's part of it. Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. And Pigsit I've not invested any money in this 2 year old red female a man is goin to give her to me because I've not got the money pay a 1000 or 1500 hundred dollars for a started dog like they are priced now days. I wish I did have the money to pay for a good dog because coonhuntin is what I love to do and always have but I'm just not as well off as alot of people and dont have that kind of money that I can invest in a good hound wish I could. Thanks everyone and God Bless you all. And dont forget to take a kid huntin one night it might just change their life for the good it did mine...

Old Post 05-10-2020 03:27 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

May I offer a little insight to what you may be about to take on. I agree with others on here that this hound is probably OK to take on, as only time will tell what potential it will exhibit.

Having said that, let me offer one other point to ponder. I agree you will know in some time frame, if the potential is there, BUT it has been my experience that you may want to set your expectation level back just a bit from what you might have starting a 12 month old pup.

I say this as I have found (IN SOME PUPS) the triggered desire to search and bark treed has been suppressed for a longer period of time in a 2 year old dog than it has been in a 12 month old animal. Thus it may take longer, and more work, to get that two year old dog to start allowing its inborn triggered responses to override its learned behavior.

So when taking on this age of a dog, I would say to give this two year old dog, twice as much patience as you would a high bred 12 month old pup, before making any final decision as to if it is gonna have enough of what you are looking for in a hound to tree a coon.

Just my two cents, and thats not worth a quarter LOL

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 05-10-2020 05:49 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
May I offer a little insight to what you may be about to take on. I agree with others on here that this hound is probably OK to take on, as only time will tell what potential it will exhibit.

Having said that, let me offer one other point to ponder. I agree you will know in some time frame, if the potential is there, BUT it has been my experience that you may want to set your expectation level back just a bit from what you might have starting a 12 month old pup.

I say this as I have found (IN SOME PUPS) the triggered desire to search and bark treed has been suppressed for a longer period of time in a 2 year old dog than it has been in a 12 month old animal. Thus it may take longer, and more work, to get that two year old dog to start allowing its inborn triggered responses to override its learned behavior.

So when taking on this age of a dog, I would say to give this two year old dog, twice as much patience as you would a high bred 12 month old pup, before making any final decision as to if it is gonna have enough of what you are looking for in a hound to tree a coon.

Just my two cents, and thats not worth a quarter LOL

Thanks for your input and advice I was just considering taking the dog because I've not got the money to pay a 1000 to 1500 hundred dollars for a started dog like they're goin for now days. I'm just not as well off as others are and that's ok cause the Lord blesses me every day of life. Maybe something will work out for me and I can find something around my price range which is 400 to 500 dollars but I dont know. You have a great day and God Bless you. And dont forget to take a youngin huntin it may just change their life for the good it did mine...

Old Post 05-10-2020 06:07 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. And Pigsit I've not invested any money in this 2 year old red female a man is goin to give her to me because I've not got the money pay a 1000 or 1500 hundred dollars for a started dog like they are priced now days. I wish I did have the money to pay for a good dog because coonhuntin is what I love to do and always have but I'm just not as well off as alot of people and dont have that kind of money that I can invest in a good hound wish I could. Thanks everyone and God Bless you all. And dont forget to take a kid huntin one night it might just change their life for the good it did mine...
Just trying to save you some heartache and shoe leather. Good Luck.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 05-10-2020 08:00 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I don’t know about experience but one thing I’ve learned is “poor people have poor ways” so if you want a decent dog and you don’t have the money to buy one it only leaves 2 other options...#1 wait for someone to give you one (probably be waiting the rest of your life) #2 get up and make one!! So if the guy is gonna give it to you, it’s worth a shot. A dog that age you should be able to see it get better each time you take it out. They mind is developed and they body is too. Best of luck

Old Post 05-10-2020 08:14 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
Just trying to save you some heartache and shoe leather. Good Luck.
Appreciate the advice bud I just honestly know what to do but I believe I'm goin to give it a shot.

Old Post 05-10-2020 08:14 PM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Appreciate the advice bud I just honestly know what to do but I believe I'm goin to give it a shot.
Meant to say honestly don't know what to do. Lol dad burn computers lol

Old Post 05-10-2020 08:16 PM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice everyone I'm going to give her a shot. Never know until I try, also may have found me a female bluetick that is started around my price range not far from where I live. Things are starting to fall into place for me know they would long as I kept at it and didnt give up God is good and gives blessings in all kinds of different ways. I'll keep everyone posted on how the red female turns out. God Bless to all and don't forget to take a youngin huntin it may just change their life for the good it did mine.....

Old Post 05-10-2020 08:25 PM