UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > coonhunting mules
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by stsjts
Wow that looks fun i always wanted to hunt off of them. I got a couple ? Ive heard a few people say the mules can sometimes tell when the dogs are treed and start to want to go towards them. Also what does a good broke mule that can jump usally cost?
just like a good dog.... according to whos selling it... i got mine for a thousand and didnt know at the time she would jump.... would take twice that to buy her from me

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-21-2011 12:40 AM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stsjts
UKC Forum Member

I see i had no clue if it was $500 or $5000. That sure looks like fun. How tall of a fence do u have at home to keep em from getting out. Or do they not try.

Old Post 12-21-2011 05:00 AM
stsjts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stsjts Click here to Send stsjts a Private Message Click Here to Email stsjts Find more posts by stsjts Add stsjts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerrunnersc
UKC Forum Member

very interested in this i dun offered to buy some mules just to try it good post keep em coming

In The Making
pr Stylish Diesel

Equipment Used:
Pine Top Lights
Garmin 220
Sportdog E-Collar
Nite Lite and Dan Clothing
Woods and Water Dog Boxes

Old Post 12-21-2011 05:15 AM
walkerrunnersc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerrunnersc Click here to Send walkerrunnersc a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerrunnersc Find more posts by walkerrunnersc Add walkerrunnersc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Red Fever
UKC Forum Member

A good mule that is not too old or too young, seasoned, is the right size, anyone can ride, jumps fences well, is easy to catch & handle, rides comfortably, can lead dogs off of and shoot off of, are worth $2000-$5000 easy.

We just have a single strand of electric fence to keep ours in. Most won't try to jump a fence unless they're asked.

We had an old, very experienced coonhunting mule here that would listen to the dogs, and would want to start walking when they treed.

Rusty

Marvin & our Rusty with a good nights harvest

Laura jumping

Rusty load in truck

Scott and our old Clovis who would go to the dogs when they treed

Aubrey and Ann Butler

VISIT: http://redfeverredbones.tripod.com/

Check Out Our What's Available Page For Upcoming Litters

Home of:
GRNITCH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Jack Pine Duke (only current living Quad Grand)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Hot Iron Ox (October 2017 #6 Current Reproducer)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Gangsters Pair A Dice
GRNITECH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Ryders Red Fever Tater (2013 ARCA Overall Hunt Winner)
NITECH GRCH PR' Two Worlds Collide (2 wins towards GRNITE, pts toward FCH WCH, Former #1 Reproducer)
NITECH GRWCH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Fever Razor's Rip N Tear
NITECH GRFCH GRCH WCH Red Fever Ain't Going Down
NITECH GRCH PR Tree Rizin' Razor's Lil' Ghost
NITECH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Fever Full of Mischief
NITECH GRFCH PR Red Fever Phantom By Moonlight
NITECH FCH GRCH PR Goza's Sing Along Country Girl
NITECH GRCH PR Red Fever Let Er Rip Taterchip
NITECH WCH GRCH GRFCH PR Red Fever Baby Likes To Rock
FCH CH PR Red Fever Rip Tearn' Beast Mode (wins toward NITECH, WCH)
WCH CH PR Red Fever Beware The Ricochet (wins toward FCH, NITECH)

****We use and recommend BLAZER Lights****

Last edited by Red Fever on 12-21-2011 at 05:21 AM

Old Post 12-21-2011 05:18 AM
Red Fever is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Red Fever Click here to Send Red Fever a Private Message Click Here to Email Red Fever Visit Red Fever's homepage! Find more posts by Red Fever Add Red Fever to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerrunnersc
UKC Forum Member

do yal usually hunt all nite

In The Making
pr Stylish Diesel

Equipment Used:
Pine Top Lights
Garmin 220
Sportdog E-Collar

Old Post 12-21-2011 12:24 PM
walkerrunnersc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerrunnersc Click here to Send walkerrunnersc a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerrunnersc Find more posts by walkerrunnersc Add walkerrunnersc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willseeyalater
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Red Fever
A good mule that is not too old or too young, seasoned, is the right size, anyone can ride, jumps fences well, is easy to catch & handle, rides comfortably, can lead dogs off of and shoot off of, are worth $2000-$5000 easy.

We just have a single strand of electric fence to keep ours in. Most won't try to jump a fence unless they're asked.

We had an old, very experienced coonhunting mule here that would listen to the dogs, and would want to start walking when they treed.

Rusty

Marvin & our Rusty with a good nights harvest

Laura jumping

Rusty load in truck

Scott and our old Clovis who would go to the dogs when they treed

I think your mules have some jack rabbit breeding in them.

Old Post 12-21-2011 02:35 PM
willseeyalater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for willseeyalater Click here to Send willseeyalater a Private Message Find more posts by willseeyalater Add willseeyalater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCBluetickGal
UKC Forum Member

I've been horse shopping again lately...but I'm starting to think maybe I need to look for a good riding mule LOL! This just looks like too much fun!

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Old Post 12-21-2011 02:37 PM
SCBluetickGal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCBluetickGal Click here to Send SCBluetickGal a Private Message Click Here to Email SCBluetickGal Find more posts by SCBluetickGal Add SCBluetickGal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

willseeyalater

that little paint mule looks like my old mule but where yours has the gray mine is black nice pics

Old Post 12-21-2011 02:42 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

It has been my experience that good mules are lot harder to come by than good horses. Am I wrong about that?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-21-2011 02:53 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
It has been my experience that good mules are lot harder to come by than good horses. Am I wrong about that?
id say your right you can find alot of mules but a good 1 is far and inbetween now days i got a buddy that bought 1 he really dont know much him and his daughter got him sorta spoiled he brought him down left him here me and my boy pulled some post out with him and rode him for about a month got him strait out hes had him back for a2 months called boy said cant do nothing with him again we offered to buy him he wont sell him so i guess there goes what good be a good mule to being a spoiled mule

Old Post 12-21-2011 03:04 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCBluetickGal
UKC Forum Member

I really don't even know what the market is like for mules around here. I stay pretty updated on what's going on in the horse industry, but have never actively looked for mules for sale. I can't say I know anyone in this area that hunts off of mules, though I've heard of people hog and of course bird hunting off of horses in the state.

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Old Post 12-21-2011 03:19 PM
SCBluetickGal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCBluetickGal Click here to Send SCBluetickGal a Private Message Click Here to Email SCBluetickGal Find more posts by SCBluetickGal Add SCBluetickGal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SCBluetickGal
I really don't even know what the market is like for mules around here. I stay pretty updated on what's going on in the horse industry, but have never actively looked for mules for sale. I can't say I know anyone in this area that hunts off of mules, though I've heard of people hog and of course bird hunting off of horses in the state.
back in the 60s-70s in my area it took a pretty good mule to bring close to what a horse would bring but you will pay in todays market for a good mule now that thier going to open the killer market back up id say horse prices will start climbing up fially i had a guy give me a appy horse sunday said he couldnt keep him in me and the boy went got him put him in a tie stall in the barn started to go out he through a fit tore up hell in my barn finlly put him back on trailer had to leave him on all night took him to my uncle to take to the sell

Old Post 12-21-2011 03:31 PM
willseeyalater
UKC Forum Member

Re: willseeyalater

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
that little paint mule looks like my old mule but where yours has the gray mine is black nice pics

Whoops, those are the mules of the Red Fever guy in Wisconsin. I was just getting a kick out of watching them load up and jump fence. I have no mules of my own. I like that white one he has for looks and size. Some use draft horses to produce mules, gives them some taller lines and more muscle. What was that white one bred from Red?

Old Post 12-21-2011 04:10 PM
willseeyalater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for willseeyalater Click here to Send willseeyalater a Private Message Find more posts by willseeyalater Add willseeyalater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: willseeyalater

quote:
Originally posted by willseeyalater
Whoops, those are the mules of the Red Fever guy in Wisconsin. I was just getting a kick out of watching them load up and jump fence. I have no mules of my own. I like that white one he has for looks and size. Some use draft horses to produce mules, gives them some taller lines and more muscle. What was that white one bred from Red?
yea i went back and looked im getting senile in my older age lol

Old Post 12-21-2011 04:43 PM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

When I lived in the hills of Mo we hunted from mules most every night during season. When we weren't hunting from the mules we were just pleasure riding. We seldom summer hunted from the mules but attempted to hunt large areas without roads during season. Places that most didn't want to hunt. If you enjoy riding and don't mind the extra hassel of taking care of the mules, getting them ready to go and hauling them to the hunting location, it's great. You will need to purchase an extra set of warm clothes and especially good warm booths. A good mule is like a good hound, you don't find them in clusters.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 12-21-2011 05:30 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1deadeye
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Red Fever
[B

Scott and our old Clovis who would go to the dogs when they treed [/B]

The above pik is me. I took this vid. that night of Clovis jumping a fence.
Had a blast. We still talk about it. I was sore for a week. It was like I fell off or something.
Scott

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Old Post 12-22-2011 12:10 AM
1deadeye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1deadeye Click here to Send 1deadeye a Private Message Find more posts by 1deadeye Add 1deadeye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Red Fever
UKC Forum Member

Not 100% for sure on the breeding of most of them, as we’ve purchased all our current mules young and unbroke, and trained them ourselves. You never know what you’re getting for sure unless you buy directly from the breeder. But anyway, the white paint mule (Rusty) is most likely from a paint/quarter mare, not sure on if he is from a standard or mammoth jack; he is 54 inches (13.2) and the perfect size in Aubrey’s opinion. I do know our Jackson mule is from a quarter horse mare and the late General Pershing, a mammoth jack. Jackson has all the strength and athleticism you could want; he is 58 inches (14.2) and in Aubrey’s opinion, a little on the big side. He would handle a 300-350 pound person easy. Polly is about 52 inches and is a real nice size for an average size person. Easy to get up and off of. Not sure what she is out of, but guessing a gaited mare (maybe a Kentucky Mnt. Or Rocky Mnt. Saddle horse?) as she is gaited. Laura is only about 46 inches tall, but can handle an average size person (200 lbs or less) with no problem. She is obviously out of some type of pony mare.

Personally, we are not interested in draft cross mules because they are too big for going through the timber. I would say a mule out of a quarter horse mare (or a similar sized horse) would be big enough for most people. If you’re much over 350 lbs, I’m not sure how easy it would be to get up and down off any mule, let alone a draft. Aubrey and I are both 6 ft, 150-165 lbs, and our Jackson at 14.2 is plenty big to be getting up on.

walkerrunnersc - You can hunt all night, or you can just go for a couple hours. Either way, the mules really take the work out of it, not much walking and no packing out coon.

Jim, yes, I would say it would be easier to find a good broke horse than mule. We’ve had and trained both, grew up with horses all our lives. Problem is most people don’t know how to handle a mule properly, so a lot get ruined/bad habits that way. Mules are a lot smarter than horses, never forget anything, and can’t be forced/bullied into anything like a horse can.

Scott, that was a fun night.

left to right: Rusty, Bill & Clovis, Carl & Jackson

Carl & GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Worlds Foxxy Lady and Aubrey & GRNITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Hot Iron Ox with Rusty & Clovis in the truck

Aubrey pleasure riding with Jesse & Crystal

Going squirrel hunting

Marvin & Jackson

Aubrey and Ann Butler

Home of:
GRNITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH PR Red Fever Hot Iron Ox (October 2017 #6 Current Reproducer)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRCH PR Red Ryders Red Fever Tater (2013 ARCA Overall Hunt Winner)
NITECH GRCH PR' Two Worlds Collide (2 wins towards GRNITE, pts toward FCH WCH, Former #1 Reproducer)

Last edited by Red Fever on 12-22-2011 at 05:58 PM

Old Post 12-22-2011 05:51 PM
Red Fever is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Red Fever Click here to Send Red Fever a Private Message Click Here to Email Red Fever Visit Red Fever's homepage! Find more posts by Red Fever Add Red Fever to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CARL GUDGEON
UKC Forum Member

mules

It sure was a adventure last night on the mules. Should be a video for the extreme mules. But i got to say if we walked it we would still be in there.

NT CH GR F CH CH'PR' RED FEVER CHIEF -

'PR' GUDGEON'S TAKE A CHANCE - POINTS TOWARDS CH and WCH

Nt Ch GR CH 'PR' GUDGEON'S CLYDE "JUNIOR" AND POINTS TOWARD FT CH

'PR' GUDGEON'S LIVING THE DREAM (Dreamer) 2 1st place wins
PR GUDGEON'S MAGGIE
CH 'PR' GUDGEON'S WILD WILLY
PR GUDGEON'S Fog Horn
PR GUDGEON'S JACK
'PR'GUDGEON'S SING ALONG DANCE

Old Post 12-27-2011 04:39 PM
CARL GUDGEON is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CARL GUDGEON Click here to Send CARL GUDGEON a Private Message Click Here to Email CARL GUDGEON Find more posts by CARL GUDGEON Add CARL GUDGEON to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerrunnersc
UKC Forum Member

i truly loved all pics and storys thanks

In The Making
pr Stylish Diesel

Equipment Used:
Pine Top Lights
Garmin 220
Sportdog E-Collar

Old Post 12-27-2011 04:41 PM
wayne moore
UKC Forum Member

WELL FOLKS MY WIFE AND I COON HUNT OFF MULES AND ABSOLUTELY THE MOST FUN WEVE HAD SINCE WE HAVE BEEN COONHUNTING,ID LIKE TO COMMENT ON SOME OF MY EXPERIENCES WITH MULES, NEVER BUY ONE FROM YOUR LOCAL AUCTION BEST FROM A BREEDER OR TRAINER OR ONE THAT DOES IT ALL,WE DONT ASK OUR MULES TO JUMP,BUT WE MAY START.NO SWEET FEED AND NO ALFALFA HAY, I HAVE FOUND THAT THE GENTLER YOU ARE THE BETTER THE MULE COOPERATES YOU ROUGH UM UP AND COWBOY THEM TO MUCH,YOU GET A PAY BACK BECAUSE THEY DO NOT FORGET,ILL NEVER RIDE A HORSE AGAIN BECAUSE A MULE HAS SO MUCH MORE PERSONALITY AND A WELL BROKE WON IS BETTER TO BUY IF YOUR NOT A TRAINER AND NOT BEING PATIENT WILL GET YOU HURT.I HAVE FOUND THAT YOU CAN ASK A MULE TO DO A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN A HORSE,EASIER KEEPER THAN A HORSE,YOUR BETTER OFF TO SPEND THE MONEY FOR A GOOD ONE IF YOUR LOOKIN TO GET RIGHT INTO THE HUNTING OFF THEM,I SEE THEY ARE USIN BRITCHENS ON THERE HUNTING MULES WE USE CRUPPERS WHEN HUNTING AND TRAIL RIDIN WE USE THE BRITCHENS,WE ALSO CINCH 3 QUARTER OR CROSSFIRE TO KEEP FROM GALLING THE MULE, THEY HAVE MORE SKIN FOLD BEHIND THE ELBOW WHERE PINCHING AND EXCESSIVE RUBBING WILL TAKE PLACE ,THE MORE COMFORTABLE YOUR MULE THE BETTER RIDE YOU WILL GET, I WILL POST SOME PICS,WHEN I FIND OUT HOW,GREAT POST KEEP IT COMIN IM STILL IN THE LEARNIN STAGE OF ALL THIS. THANKS

Old Post 12-27-2011 10:50 PM
wayne moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wayne moore Click here to Send wayne moore a Private Message Find more posts by wayne moore Add wayne moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
akso235
UKC Forum Member

this is my newest mule bought her at sale in Vale NC friday night.

Old Post 05-22-2012 05:01 PM
akso235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for akso235 Click here to Send akso235 a Private Message Click Here to Email akso235 Find more posts by akso235 Add akso235 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joseph robinson
UKC Forum Member

How would a guy go about teaching a young dog to lead off the back of a mule? I figured that the young dog would go to acting stupid and wrapping the mule up in the lead and the mule would kill him.

Old Post 05-22-2012 06:41 PM
joseph robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph robinson Click here to Send joseph robinson a Private Message Find more posts by joseph robinson Add joseph robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
akso235
UKC Forum Member

that was the first time she had been around the mules. she did go around a couple of times but the mule stopped and i pulled her back to the side. not all of my mules would stand for that though lol

Old Post 05-22-2012 06:44 PM
akso235 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for akso235 Click here to Send akso235 a Private Message Click Here to Email akso235 Find more posts by akso235 Add akso235 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny nipp
UKC Forum Member

looking for one for sale around Oklahoma

RIP Hope i get another worthy of this list
2011 PKC Youth World Ch English GrNiteCH Nipps Oklahoma Rawhide
PKC Ch UKC NiteCH Redmans Last Chance
ChNiteCH Oklahoma Floyd
GrCh GrNiteCH George and Lees Blue Bell
NiteCh Oklahoma Swamp Rose
SilverCh GrNiteCh Oklahoma Butch
Silver Ch Oklahoma Hope
Nitech ch Timbercreek Sampson
Oklahoma Blue Pudge

Old Post 06-26-2012 05:37 AM
johnny nipp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny nipp Click here to Send johnny nipp a Private Message Find more posts by johnny nipp Add johnny nipp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Red Fever
UKC Forum Member

New Coonhunting Rig....

Our friend is heading south for the winter, and needed to cut back on his herd a bit, so we picked up this little project. She is 1 1/2 yrs old, and a keeper. We just picked her up yesterday, and she'll already do anything you ask. We call her Pepper.

Down the stairs....

Up the stairs....

Queen of the hill

Jumped in the truck the first time he asked!

Aubrey and Ann Butler

Home of:

Old Post 11-24-2012 12:36 AM