UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 4 month old pup with really flat feet
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
excaliber
UKC Forum Member

4 month old pup with really flat feet

Can you do anything to help being flat footed grow out of possibly never seen one being this flat footed

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2021 12:24 PM
excaliber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for excaliber Click here to Send excaliber a Private Message Click Here to Email excaliber Find more posts by excaliber Add excaliber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Growing fast---- you could try 500 mg of vitamin C and 1/2 tespoon of wheat germ oil (vit.A,D & E) a day.. growing too fast can lead to hip problems too.

Old Post 04-17-2021 03:23 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

What are you feeding?
Did its feet just go flat in last few weeks or has it been like that since a pup?
I have a few suggestions based on your answers

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 04-17-2021 03:56 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I had a bluetick in here to run loose a while back that his front feet were very flat. The ankle joint seemed weak. One side got much better just by building up strength from being on the go but one never did. Getting dogs off of concrete can help a lot along with exercise. I'm not a show person but I know that won't concrete floors they use chat or rock as it helps to strengthen the muscles and tendons on the foot and ankle area. As driftwood stated it could also be a growth issue. Lower the protein, add some cold liver oil or vitamin and if in a highly shaded or indoor kennel get it more exposure to sunlight along with exercise.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-17-2021 04:31 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
excaliber
UKC Forum Member

Well I just bought her didn’t really see it in pictures till I got her so how she been fed or how much she’s been out of a pen I Don’t know do have concrete pens but gonna build her a pen on the grass I put out door carpet on the concrete for the time being I do feed victor in the teal green bag high in protein but went and got diamond chicken and rice lower protein and just started giving her vetriflex witch is a strength joint supplement but didn’t see where it has vitamin c bit much of a show dog man just like to go tree coons just wonder if she will grow out of it or hinder her mobility guess time will tell just wondering the odds of it

Old Post 04-17-2021 06:11 PM
excaliber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for excaliber Click here to Send excaliber a Private Message Click Here to Email excaliber Find more posts by excaliber Add excaliber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redgy Ramsey
UKC Forum Member

Cod liver oil

Whitesboro, Texas
toll free# 1-888-337-4933
http://www.valleycreekhuntingsupply.com
vallcr@valleycreekhuntingsupply.com

Old Post 04-17-2021 06:34 PM
Redgy Ramsey is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Redgy Ramsey Click here to Send Redgy Ramsey a Private Message Click Here to Email Redgy Ramsey Visit Redgy Ramsey's homepage! Find more posts by Redgy Ramsey Add Redgy Ramsey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

I don’t believe the issue with the concrete kennels. I have had concrete kennels for over 30 years and never had this issue. I have four dogs on concrete now and they are all cat footed. Two were raised here on concrete

Regards
Bruce Simons

Old Post 04-17-2021 07:13 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by excaliber
Well I just bought her didn’t really see it in pictures till I got her so how she been fed or how much she’s been out of a pen I Don’t know do have concrete pens but gonna build her a pen on the grass I put out door carpet on the concrete for the time being I do feed victor in the teal green bag high in protein but went and got diamond chicken and rice lower protein and just started giving her vetriflex witch is a strength joint supplement but didn’t see where it has vitamin c bit much of a show dog man just like to go tree coons just wonder if she will grow out of it or hinder her mobility guess time will tell just wondering the odds of it

If you bought the pup and it was already flat footed I would take it back and get my money back...

Old Post 04-17-2021 07:14 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
excaliber
UKC Forum Member

Pill form from Walmart Just like a pill a day ?

Old Post 04-17-2021 07:14 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by excaliber
Pill form from Walmart Just like a pill a day ?

I’ve had many pups raised on concrete and it wasn’t ever an issue...early on I had one with splayed feet which makes them flat footed... almost looks like chicken feet...I don’t think that will get much better...

Sometimes there were pups with weak joints right above the front feet, on humans it would be the wrist joints...this problem makes them look somewhat flat footed...the few I had that had that recovered completely within a few weeks but no later than a month...

the vet told me to give them cod liver oil, he said sunshine would help for vitamin d...no calcium pills...he said pups are growing too fast and the joints aren’t strong enough to support the growth and weight...
Cod liver oil has natural vitamin d amongst other nutrients...

Old Post 04-18-2021 11:16 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote