UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > preventing dog box theft
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dha307
UKC Forum Member

preventing dog box theft

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advise, I'm looking to lock my dog box to truck bed, I thought about just bolting it down but that can be pia to get the box out, so I was wondering if anyone has came up with anything?

thanks for help
Frank

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2016 12:46 PM
dha307 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dha307 Click here to Send dha307 a Private Message Click Here to Email dha307 Find more posts by dha307 Add dha307 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DKIPP
UKC Forum Member

Bolt it down

Drill through the bed of your truck. Drill matching holes in your dog box floor. Put a bolt up through the bed. If you use a pin, all you'll need is a snap ring inside your dog box. Next step is to pad lock your dog box doors.
David

Old Post 04-28-2016 01:59 PM
DKIPP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DKIPP Click here to Send DKIPP a Private Message Find more posts by DKIPP Add DKIPP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I attached a muffler clamp to my Owens dogbox and hooked a chain to it, ran the chain through the tie-down on the inside of my truck and then used a pad lock.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-28-2016 02:06 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
I attached a muffler clamp to my Owens dogbox and hooked a chain to it, ran the chain through the tie-down on the inside of my truck and then used a pad lock.
I either use cable or chain,,run it thru carry handles on box,then thru tie down hooks on bed,,and use a padlock

Browns Wild Irish Rose(Tequila Sunrise x Stylish Abagal)
Browns Stylish Buddy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup
Browns Stylish Sissy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup

Old Post 04-28-2016 02:27 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ed robertson
UKC Forum Member

cable bike locks run them through your box handles and your bed tie downs cheap way and it works

Old Post 04-28-2016 02:31 PM
ed robertson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ed robertson Click here to Send ed robertson a Private Message Find more posts by ed robertson Add ed robertson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Put some "I hunt redbone stickers" on it. HOBO made me do that, I apologize.

Old Post 04-28-2016 03:04 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey

ROFL ROFL ROFL

The sad thing Bruce is that most people won't know why you said that.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-28-2016 06:04 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

I'll try to explain what I did but probably would be easier if I could post a picture. Or I could text a pic to anyone who is interested in my way. I went to the hardware store and bought two gate latches. The kind that are like big sliding bolt latches. I mounted them with through bolts to the lower back corners of my box, right between the wheel wells of the truck, then just drilled a hole through the sheet metal of the wheel well. When I want to secure it I just slide the bolt into the hole and put a padlock on the latch. Its very convenient and secure. But the box must fit snug between the wheel wells because the bolt only has a throw of about 2" on each side.

Old Post 04-28-2016 06:05 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dha307
UKC Forum Member

I'm Thinking I need to do something like that, because cables and chains they will just cut, I was thinking maybe drill the box and truck bed and using a trailer hitch lock or something like that.

Old Post 04-28-2016 07:21 PM
dha307 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dha307 Click here to Send dha307 a Private Message Click Here to Email dha307 Find more posts by dha307 Add dha307 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

Are people actually having a problem with someone stealing dog boxes out of trucks? I don't think I have heard of anybody having that problem in this part of the country.

Old Post 04-28-2016 08:03 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dha307
I'm Thinking I need to do something like that, because cables and chains they will just cut, I was thinking maybe drill the box and truck bed and using a trailer hitch lock or something like that.

Hard to believe anyone would go to that much trouble to steal one...never did anything with mine till recently and that was hook a tree stand lock on mine to box handle to tie down in bed

Old Post 04-28-2016 09:27 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dha307
UKC Forum Member

I'm just afraid they will steal it and sell for scrap metal.

Old Post 04-28-2016 09:36 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Put a Honda motorcycle cover over it, that's what people with Harleys are told to do. Can't believe people are such scum that everything has to be bolted down or its stolen.

Old Post 04-28-2016 09:39 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Ive never really worried about it. Id put a lock on my tailgate. Then they would atleast have to lift it out. One person wouldnt steal it anyhow. 2 wouldnt if it was full of dogs and equipment.

Old Post 04-28-2016 10:28 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wadepardue
UKC Forum Member

Dod box theft

I had my box stolen one night after I got in from hunting, all or most of my hunting equipment was in the top storage...My truck was parked in the back yard down by the dog pens, never seen or heard of any of my stuff...NO DOGS were missing but I sure can't blame them for NOT taking those dogs, I wasn't to crazy about them either...

Old Post 04-29-2016 12:56 AM
wadepardue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wadepardue Click here to Send wadepardue a Private Message Click Here to Email wadepardue Find more posts by wadepardue Add wadepardue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Lmao. Gotta be a story there. Use bluetick stickers could likely leave the keys in and the engine runnin

Old Post 04-29-2016 01:23 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dha307
UKC Forum Member

I'm just afraid they will steal it and sell for scrap metal.

Old Post 04-29-2016 02:21 AM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Haha!

Old Post 04-29-2016 02:47 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.Fox
UKC Forum Member

The sad thing is you can't even go to the woods to run your dog without someone looking to steal something. I had someone steal my box this past year on Xmas nite on game management land. It's really sad..

GRNITE BIG HORN CRUISE ( RIP)
GRNITE LONE PINE BOZO (SEMEN) NOT FORSALE
GRNITE WILD IMPY (RIP)
CHNITECH CROSS E'S WILD WILMA
CH HTX WILD DAISY
912 223 9085

Old Post 04-29-2016 02:52 AM
J.Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.Fox Click here to Send J.Fox a Private Message Click Here to Email J.Fox Find more posts by J.Fox Add J.Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
glynnsdawgs63
UKC Forum Member

My box is bolted to bed of my truck

Glynn Holmes
www.tellsblueticks.webs.com

Old Post 04-29-2016 02:56 AM
glynnsdawgs63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for glynnsdawgs63 Click here to Send glynnsdawgs63 a Private Message Visit glynnsdawgs63's homepage! Find more posts by glynnsdawgs63 Add glynnsdawgs63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

Just build you a dog box out of plywood and no one likely to bother with it. That's what I do. I also drive a 90 ford ranger that no one would care to steal.

Old Post 04-29-2016 05:45 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonsmen
UKC Forum Member

like most, i have a 1/4in cable that i ran through the carry handle and the tiedown loop on my truck then put a pad lock on it. its not full proof but if a but it keeps the honest man honest.

a guy i hunted with last weekend told me about loosing his dogs and dog box out of his truck at black and tan days while they were sleeping in the hotel one night. I would have been sick to my stomach if i came out the next morning to find them missing.

Old Post 04-30-2016 12:43 AM
coonsmen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonsmen Click here to Send coonsmen a Private Message Click Here to Email coonsmen Find more posts by coonsmen Add coonsmen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I went to Tractor Supply and bought two cable locks. They are made by master lock. They will be tough to cut but you could do it with the right tools. They may be called a cinch lock. Anyway they ratchet when the key is turned one way and then lock when you get them down tight. I really like them.

When I travel my dogs stay in the hotel with me. No matter what. If they can't stay I can't either LOL.

Old Post 04-30-2016 02:17 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote