UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do possums ?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Do possums ?

Smell like coons ?

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-14-2019 12:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, I can't tell the difference in the smell but they don't taste the same.

Old Post 10-14-2019 01:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Young dog had a possum and a coon in the same persimmon tree last night I dispatched the coon because he was Guilty by association lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-14-2019 01:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

We treed a persimmon with three coons and two possums in it once. I told my buddy you pet yours and I'll whip mine, one of us has gotta be right...

Old Post 10-14-2019 02:14 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Possom Heck! beginning to think all game smell alike. Dang dog caught a coyote few nights ago! Big one. disposed of it. called him up out ditch and sentem on. right before that he treed a coon. goes about 50 yards and trees another coon. getem off that he goes maybe 100yrds trees another. gettem off that he goes another 200yrs trees another. getem on leash and sucker trees another while on leash. he has treed everything that can climb. And has caught everything that can make tracks. never seen anything like it. Crazy dog.

Old Post 10-14-2019 02:22 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

When I was a young man, we didn't have many coons in this area and we did not mind our dogs treeing possums. In fact we encouraged them to tree possums, they sound just as good treed on a possum as they do on a coon. Now we have a fair amount of coons in my area and no one wants their dog to tree possums. The competition hunts caused possums to be a no no, even though the dogs sound just as good treeing both coons and possums. We demoted the poor old possum to trash status. Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-14-2019 at 10:06 PM

Old Post 10-14-2019 08:34 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I remember a time when possum hides were more than minimum wage really $7 was what a possum brought that was twice as I was making an hour. Worked some long weeks for $80 so we loved possums lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-15-2019 12:18 AM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

All I know is there are some dogs that absolutely can not tell the difference.

Old Post 10-15-2019 02:35 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

I believe possums and armadillos smell and taste the same....for example “possum on a half shell” is a well known delicacy over around Marietta Ok I’m told.

Old Post 10-15-2019 02:49 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
I believe possums and armadillos smell and taste the same....for example “possum on a half shell” is a well known delicacy over around Marietta Ok I’m told.

Tuff to just smile and act like it don’t bother you huh !!

Except skunks they make me furious !!

Tar

Old Post 10-15-2019 03:02 AM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Tuff to just smile and act like it don’t bother you huh !!

Except skunks they make me furious !!

Tar

I know one thing, I make no excuses for them pot lickers. LoL. We will never go hungry for sure.

Old Post 10-15-2019 03:08 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

I,almost convinced a cast one night to plus my dog on a possum because there was a dead coon at base off tree I told them that dang possum was eating that coon and had that Coon scent all over him. But one wanted to question it lol so I took my minus and petted my possum dog up.

Old Post 10-15-2019 12:41 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You can kinda do damage control on a possum but skunks everybody in the parking lot knows it and your tracking equipment smells like it for months ............ I hate skunks !!

Tar

Old Post 10-15-2019 01:52 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, doesn't everyone know that skunks smell different? But does anyone know what a skunk tastes like?

Old Post 10-15-2019 02:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, doesn't everyone know that skunks smell different? But does anyone know what a skunk tastes like?
I hope I never get hungry enough to find out.

Old Post 10-15-2019 02:34 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

I do thought I was pulling a coon out of a hole one night and and it was a skunk !! He shot me right in the face ........ yacked my guts up boy I was sick.

Tar

Old Post 10-15-2019 02:48 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Don't skunks have scent glands on their hind legs that spray that awful smell? I would think that once you skinned one and cut those scent glands off, the smell would be gone. Their actual meat/muscle should not smell. It would have to taste better than a veggie burger.

Old Post 10-15-2019 06:07 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Regarding skunks , I knew a family that was raised very poor back in the mountains. They told me a story about another family that was even poorer than they were. That family actually lived under an overhanging Rock that they enclosed to make a shelter. Friend said that when they caught a skunk this family would skin the skunks for them , eat the meat and return the hides to my friend. While I don't know if this story is actually true, my friend was a honest person and I believe the story was true. We really don't know what we would eat if we truly was hungry enough. My friend said they trapped snowbirds to have some meat in the WINTERTIME. All of this was back in the day of no food stamps or welfare, wonder what would happen if the free food programs were cut out these days? Dave

Old Post 10-15-2019 10:02 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave they would learn to grow a garden like we did and I still do my mind still thinks I have to. All our fruit for jelly’s and canned fruit is picked off this government land. The fish the other night and pears for the pear pies did also. Do I financially need to no ! But it was taught to me when I was younger and a lot poorer by my elders and it makes me happy.

Never was so poor we ate a skunk but ate a lot of red beans and rice and corn meal mush lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-15-2019 10:21 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I think folks in Brooklyn, Detroit and Chicago would have a hard time making a garden. I never tried it, but I don't think concrete plows very well.

Old Post 10-15-2019 10:42 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Tar, I think folks in Brooklyn, Detroit and Chicago would have a hard time making a garden. I never tried it, but I don't think concrete plows very well.

I grow enough to have plenty to give away in my back yard wife grows all the root vegetables in old cattle mineral tubs. If you have to you will find a way.

Tar

Old Post 10-15-2019 10:50 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You remind me of Hank Williams Jr. Song a country boy can survive! I am not so sure that all those 3 and 4 generations of welfare folks would be so lucky. Most of them think they are entitled to be supported by others, they would not have a clue how to live off the land. Giving others a helping hand is one thing, but to fully support 3 and 4 generations of the same family is absolutely insane. Skunk would be better than starving, possum would be gourmet food. Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-15-2019 11:26 PM
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Do possums ?

Here is a odd little fact about possums is that they love to eat ticks.The ticks do not seem to bother the Possum.And here I thought they were just a nuisance.( At least up here in the North.)

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 10-16-2019 10:59 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Friend of mine runs a wholesale fish business. Down here we have lots of carp/buffalo. They are bottom feeders and considered "trash". No one would ever even think about eating one. But he has commercial fishermen that catch them by the boat load in gill nets every night. He sends a tractor trailer load of them up to Chicago every Sunday. They sell them in the projects. I guess that they don't have creeks, rivers or ponds to fish in themselves and don't know the difference between a catfish and a buffalo.

Old Post 10-17-2019 12:36 AM
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

That's not limited to up north. I saw a commercial fisherman pull up to a store and folks would buy those buffalo and throw them right in the trunk to carry home. No idea how they got the smell out of the car.

Old Post 10-17-2019 12:57 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote