UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Hunting in Michigan?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
trevorwade09
UKC Forum Member

Coon Hunting in Michigan?

Alright, we have fallen on quieter times and I'm chomping at the bit to start treeing a few. What's the low down on the Michigan coon hunting scene, specifically the southwest part of the state? Good state land to hunt? How does snow affect the coon hunting? What do I need to know?
Finally going to get my hunting license when I get off work today!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 03:18 PM
trevorwade09 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevorwade09 Click here to Send trevorwade09 a Private Message Click Here to Email trevorwade09 Find more posts by trevorwade09 Add trevorwade09 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

I lived there for a while, but did not Coon Hunt then.

I really regret that. There was a decent amount of public land, lots of farms that kept coon well fed, and low pressure. I saw a lot of large roadkill coon. They seemed to be everywhere. They were all over my trail cameras when I was looking for deer.

Old Post 10-18-2019 05:21 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

You will have fun once you secure some places to hunt Trevor. It was nothing to see 15+ coon on an evening out this time of the year when I lived in the Mitten. Sure do miss that kind of population density.

Old Post 10-18-2019 05:24 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Trevorwade09

You can buy a Non Resident Michigan hunting license and fur harversters stamp for like $166.00. You also have to buy a one time sportsman card for $1.00 one time if you don't lose it.. I'm on like 4 of them..

Their statewide Kill season comes in Oct 1 and there is great public hunting available in the state. Back in the old days you could not hunt until your states open season started, but with the no value coon market they changed that up a few years ago.

I hunt Michigan frequently as a non resident, probably made 10 trips up this year already. I try and be very respectful of the local guys as I can understand their heart burn with us out of towners sometimes.

You can and will tree a bunch of coon.. I do not shoot nearly all I tree.. Hunted state ground in MI last night, made 5 trees, saw 8 coons and saw another two laid up around a slough walking to trees.. Killed 3 coons in a two hour hunt. Typically only kill one or two a night in this early season as the fur is just starting to look decent.
But my knot head did some really good dog work last night and he got an extra from the tall oaks.

Going to be hunting there again tonight and expect about the same.. It's great hunting, some of it is rough as a cob and a lot of water, so be prepared, but it's full of coons.

I'd recommend you google the Allegan state game area near Allegan, MI 40,000 plus acres of pretty decent coon hunting and a good hour south of the Porcupine belt. Good motels and restaurants
reasonably close.

Good luck and please be cordial and considerate of the local hunters as access to private ground is shrinking so rapidly up here it's almost scary..

Old Post 10-18-2019 09:06 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trevorwade09
UKC Forum Member

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear, I actually moved up here from Tennessee. I now live in Gobles, Michigan now, about 12 minutes from that Allegan SGA. Next time you come up here hunting, holler at me, I'd love to tag along. Teach me the ropes on where to hunt and where to stay away from up there!

Old Post 10-18-2019 09:28 PM
trevorwade09 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevorwade09 Click here to Send trevorwade09 a Private Message Click Here to Email trevorwade09 Find more posts by trevorwade09 Add trevorwade09 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't one of the most experienced coon hunters in the country work right next to you? Can't you talk him into showing you a couple of his secret spots?

Old Post 10-18-2019 09:53 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

I lived in South Haven

And treed myself in pursuit of deer all over that SGA. The game warden is active there. Particularly near the big no hunting block. I really wish I had been a coon hunter back then.

Old Post 10-19-2019 12:57 AM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bludog29
UKC Forum Member

I live in Gobles

My name's Jason. Hit me up if u want to get together. 269-569-5516. Text is best

Old Post 10-21-2019 05:23 PM
bludog29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bludog29 Click here to Send bludog29 a Private Message Click Here to Email bludog29 Find more posts by bludog29 Add bludog29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trevorwade09
UKC Forum Member

Awesome Jason! I will take you up on that.

Richard, Allen and his red dogs put a hurtin on the coon population up here. Don't want to go to his spots, it'll be like cutting loose in southeast Tennessee

Old Post 10-21-2019 07:44 PM