UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > external antennae
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rocky tanner
UKC Forum Member

external antennae

what are the options for an external antenna to use on a astro 320? whats the cost and does it help?

Im referring to a vehicle antennae

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-09-2019 04:16 PM
rocky tanner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rocky tanner Click here to Send rocky tanner a Private Message Click Here to Email rocky tanner Find more posts by rocky tanner Add rocky tanner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I use a magnet mount whip it’s probably about 3’ tall. It’s a browning I believe

Old Post 12-09-2019 09:27 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

yes increases range by up to miles go to ukc forums dog supply vendors and ask same question many choices roof top will allow you to track dogs miles away

Old Post 12-10-2019 12:28 AM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tackleberry
UKC Forum Member

https://www.outdoordogsupply.com/ga...estruckantennas

https://www.conkeysoutdoors.com/cgi...a%5FAccessories

Old Post 12-10-2019 11:49 AM
Tackleberry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tackleberry Click here to Send Tackleberry a Private Message Find more posts by Tackleberry Add Tackleberry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I bought the garmin magnetic roof top antenna advertised on their website thru Amazon for like $39.00 delivered.. Works like a charm - I have the Alpha, but they say it's for the Astro 320 as well..

Can get 1.5-3.5 miles depending on terrain... Big hills and heavy leaves cut it down to the 1.5 mark pretty quick..

Very happy with the product and performance

Old Post 12-10-2019 01:46 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Rocky there are several styles of these antennas. Some are 1/4 wave and some are 1/2 wave.

The shorter Garmin 1/4 wave generally with get you from 2 to 4 miles. 2.5 or 3 miles is a good average with longer at times.

The longer antennas generally in the 42" range will get you out to 5 or 6 miles at times with 4 miles a conservative number to use.

The Garmin antenna sells for $35 bucks at most coon hound supply dealers while the longer antenna which are normally made by Tram Browning are in the $55 dollar range. Also with the longer antenna you can get all kinds of mounts from a hood mount to a roof mount or bed rail mount and of course a magnetic mount.

For coon hunting I generally just keep one of the 18" gamin antennas in the box behind the seat and if I need the extra range I pull it out. On my buggy I have a long antenna permentaly mounted.

Old Post 12-10-2019 01:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Tram with the 5 inch magnet mount..Holds on pretty good and range is great...If you see 25 deer hunters trucks a day around here during deer season 20 of them will have this antenna the other 5 will have the one with wings off of it..Both styles will get the job done.Hope all is well Mr.Rocky!!

Old Post 12-10-2019 02:26 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogwood
New UKC Forum Member

Bruce maybe you or Johnny can answer me this I was always told if you run a high band vhf radio like a marine you needed to make sure your radio antenna and garmin antenna are on opposite end of the truck or you could burn your garmin up. I have my radio antenna magnet on the back side of the cab and the garmin on the front of the hood? Have you ever heard that?

Old Post 12-14-2019 04:07 AM
dogwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dogwood Click here to Send dogwood a Private Message Click Here to Email dogwood Find more posts by dogwood Add dogwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Back in 2007 when the Astro 220 first came out. This was very true. Then over the years the Handhelds made by Garmin were shielded better. It is still true today but the distance needs to be about 4 foot apart and stay away from the frequencies that the Garmin's run on as much as possible. The further apart you can place your antennas the better off you are.

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rocky tanner
UKC Forum Member

the spring based rubberized extendable antennae for my 320 got me 2.51 miles with 2- T5's and a 12 year old DC 30 from the trash dump to my house a few days ago......

Old Post 12-17-2019 09:25 PM
rocky tanner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rocky tanner Click here to Send rocky tanner a Private Message Click Here to Email rocky tanner Find more posts by rocky tanner Add rocky tanner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote