UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Shot to make a dog come in heat???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
barker-creek
UKC Forum Member

Shot to make a dog come in heat???

Wanting to know the good and bad about it????

Grnitech barker creeks blue poncho>>>>
Barker creeks blue Polly>>>>

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2014 02:24 PM
barker-creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barker-creek Click here to Send barker-creek a Private Message Click Here to Email barker-creek Find more posts by barker-creek Add barker-creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Hormone shots

Found this on another site, I personally dont know that much about it but would try some natural things before I used shots!

Never give any heat inducing product to a female dog that has not had a natural heat first. A 14 month old dog who has not had a heat yet, is not that unusual. A five year old is. Even so, I had a 4 year old that had her first heat cycle, then had one every nine moths. Otherwise she was a healthy, happy good looking dog. She lived to be 16 years old. Giving hormones to induce a heat cycle in a young undeveloped female dog female will cause developmental problems with her ovaries and other reproductive parts. A young female dog who was not fully developed, by giving an inducing hormone, she will not come into heat regularly, and will not develop any more, because her body is tricked into thinking it is fully formed and most likely never developed eggs. The potential risk of no eggs, irregular heat cycles makes not worth using in the first place. Some may get lucky but most will ruin a young female dog by giving them hormones. In canines the different hormone therapies are used on mature dogs. at least Four or Five years old, who have had some natural cycles and are definitely fully developed. Then you have several choices of different hormones to try, not medicines. Be sure at this time to have a veterinarian administer the hormones, especially being you are just learning about these products. Then it is usually given to those who come in every 18 - 24 months, one time as a last shot. Maybe change your dog food, at something with high fat content on top of the food. Bacon grease, canola oil, sassafras oil, etc. Exercise is another factor, just about anyone can tell you about training / heavy exercising a dog sometimes seems to bring them right on in. I am sure many can tell you of taking their female on a long trip for a trial or a show and soon as they get back, the stress had induced a heat cycle. Also, if she is a house pet or something and never around male dogs, exposure to male dogs and the pheromones they emit, will often get the right hormones to kick in, in the female dog. Hope This Helps Brian DeBow

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 02-27-2014 02:48 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redticker
UKC Forum Member

We used a drug called Carbergoline, worked great. Dog came in and the pups did great.

GrCh GrNtCh 'PR' Woodstock Timber "Chopper"
(Nt Ch Woodstock Gun x 'PR' Woodstock Josie)
-2015 World Hunt qualified
-2018 Georgia State Championship 3rd overall
-2018 Peach Classic 10th place overall Friday night

GrCh 'PR' Woostock Timber "Sissy"
(Nt Ch Woodstock Gun x 'PR' Woodstock Josie)
-2013 World Bench Show qualified
-2013 Akc Ga State Queen of show
-Georgia Carolina Peach Classic Champion Female Fri/Sat

NtCh'PR' Swamp Stompin Sug
(GrCh GrNt 'PR' Nettle Creek Stick 2 It x 'PR' Swampbottom Tree Sassy)

'PR' Cold Waters Little Ann
(GrNt 'PR' Hardtime Rocky 4 x GrNt 'PR' Long Hollow Tree Talking Coin)
Grand American 2018 Friday night 6th place registered 14th overall

www.woodstockenglishkennels.com

Old Post 02-27-2014 02:49 PM
Redticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redticker Click here to Send Redticker a Private Message Click Here to Email Redticker Find more posts by Redticker Add Redticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

first of all I DO NOT recommend anyone do this, nor is the info below to be used for such..........

when I got GRNTCHGRCH Boughtons Red Ruby it was assumed she would never breed again. she hadn't had pups in 3 or 4yrs and hadn't even been in heat for a cpl. wasn't a spring chicken either....

the last litter she had carried went septic and had to be removed by c section (vet wanted to spay her but Jim (brier creek) refused)

anyway I bought her understanding she wouldn't have pups again and just did it to give one of the 4 Durango x Lucky grntch females a home.

just on a whim I gave her PG600 one day. this is a drug used in commercial hog farms to bring sows in heat...anyway she came in and had 2 pups, though had to be AIed with fresh semen because she never did attract males *read Looser* during that cycle.

even though she, her sisters, and most of the dogs in her background only came in once a yr........several months later she came in again and bred natural. had 6 pups.

Old Post 02-27-2014 03:48 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Typically, it is best to not mess with mother nature. I have seen some females who hadn't been in heat for awhile come in heat when kenneled near a female who is in heat.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-27-2014 04:08 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plott55
Banned

Re: Shot to make a dog come in heat???

quote:
Originally posted by barker-creek
Wanting to know the good and bad about it????

Years ago Deer hunting with dogs was a very big event in South Ga. I don't have a wide spectrum of knowledge on other hunters;but; The group i hunted with and our friends would give the females a shot to bring them in heat before season and not have to waste any days during season.

We never had any bad effects, but, I don't see any reason to give the shot except to change the heat cycle.

I guess for a direct answer to your question; I have used the Shot; with positive good effects and negative bad effects.

Old Post 02-27-2014 04:16 PM
Plott55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plott55 Click here to Send Plott55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Plott55 Find more posts by Plott55 Add Plott55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sawtooth
UKC Forum Member

Shots

After a Little Digging looks like this Controversy will Continue...Has Helped some and Hindered Others...Just Search PG-600 and there are 30 or better threads about this very subject..I personally will continue trying the natural ways until I'm sure I have exhausted All... Thank You to All that took the time to Reply about their experiences...RBP

Last edited by sawtooth on 06-18-2019 at 07:39 PM

Old Post 06-18-2019 06:43 PM
sawtooth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sawtooth Click here to Send sawtooth a Private Message Click Here to Email sawtooth Find more posts by sawtooth Add sawtooth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote