UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How were they trained
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ndm
UKC Forum Member

I turned 1 cage coon loose for Ace in the daylight (he saw it go up the tree and treed it) from there I just took him hunting alone. He probably treed close to 100 coon before he was ever cut loose with another dog. From there we just worked on polishing him for the hunts, basically correct him when he did something wrong and praise him when he did it right.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-06-2021 01:39 AM
ndm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ndm Click here to Send ndm a Private Message Click Here to Email ndm Find more posts by ndm Add ndm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ndm
UKC Forum Member

I turned 1 cage coon loose for Ace in the daylight (he saw it go up the tree and treed it) from there I just took him hunting alone. He probably treed close to 100 coon before he was ever cut loose with another dog. From there we just worked on polishing him for the hunts, basically correct him when he did something wrong and praise him when he did it right.

Old Post 01-06-2021 01:39 AM
ndm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ndm Click here to Send ndm a Private Message Click Here to Email ndm Find more posts by ndm Add ndm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

I've never trained a bigtime winner, not much interested in competitive events.
But the better dogs that I have had were users. They were only interested in you to unsnap them so they could go tree a coon .

Old Post 01-06-2021 01:32 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

I've never trained a bigtime winner, not much interested in competitive events.
But the better dogs that I have had were users. They were only interested in you to unsnap them so they could go tree a coon .

Old Post 01-06-2021 01:32 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Some guys can get a dog to do this and other will never be able to do it.. good fact!

quote:
Originally posted by arkansas cooner
No offense but getting a dog to freeze on plywood don’t really impress me any
If you can't do this what can you do?

Old Post 01-06-2021 02:31 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Some guys can get a dog to do this and other will never be able to do it.. good fact!

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
FastEddy, I never have seen a John Wick book and never will...I said why on here and my post was deleted...so I wont say why...

This is a very good looking walker...I like everything about him...he has that aura I talk about...that above it all attitude that some of the great dogs have and so do the puppies that grow up to be like this hound...these dogs don't need any help and they usually strike first...they also know how hard they need to hunt to beat the competition...tell me if If I'm right or wrong about this hound...

Reuben, You are right.. You know I'm not going to just put a show dog on this forum / question asked. This dog was a Dual Grand Champion, and a State Champion Nite hunt Champion at 13 months old. He was the hightest titled dog out of 3800 pups..

Old Post 01-06-2021 02:38 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Training???

First off, I would say that the majority of the top hounds being hunted or campaigned in the country were not trained by their owners but by their sellers. I've hunted with many so called "top hounds" and most were bought. I've trained many good hounds throughout my lifetime and I've found that what works for one will not work for another. The one thing they all have in common is the will to pursue and tree game. Every good training method known to us will be no good if the dog doesn't posses the proper tools. Some just don't have it and all the hunting in the world will not make a difference. The trick to training a dog to its full potential is to first get the right dog and second recognize when you have a good prospect. We have very little control over the outcome of a dog except to teach them the man made things, ie... handling (loading, leading, come when called, breaking off unwanted game) etc. We can't train them to hunt, to bark louder, bark faster, smell scent better or to look prettier. It really don't matter what method we use to start and train a dog, it all boils down to the makeup of each hound and then to hunt the feet off of them and weed out the problems as they come. Only then can we see what we have. Most of the time when they start to make a big splash in the coon hound world, someone with more money than sense will buy them.

Old Post 01-07-2021 06:08 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
On this board we read all the time about the natural hound that just needs put in the woods and they're doing it right pretty quickly so all the training that most hunters want to do is Overkill. Train to handle but training to tree coons I am not so sure about.
sounds very similar Mr. Moore I agree completely.

Last edited by 2ol2hunt on 01-07-2021 at 08:40 PM

Old Post 01-07-2021 08:38 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Some guys can get a dog to do this and other will never be able to do it.. good fact!

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
If you can't do this what can you do?

I think the point is that children can get dogs to do this. Plus training a dog to do it and smacking a dog around to do it are too different things. It's easy to tell which method was used just looking at the way a dog holds its head.

Old Post 01-08-2021 11:43 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by warren13h
Sometimes I simply think of what I can give to my dog as a new toy, that will entertain him, with some kinda interaction. What do you folks usually give your dogs as the toys?
More coons

Old Post 01-08-2021 02:19 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

what Ron Moore said . if you gon`t believe it , go back and read it again. if you still don`t believe it, read it slower.

Old Post 01-08-2021 02:40 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mhardy
what Ron Moore said . if you gon`t believe it , go back and read it again. if you still don`t believe it, read it slower.

I tried to read it slower but I still don't get it .

Old Post 01-21-2021 09:25 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote