UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Any ideas on how to get a puppy to eat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Any ideas on how to get a puppy to eat

Seven weeks old and will nibble and drink some water but won't really eat. She seems to have plenty of energy, just can't get her eating. She was eating canned food mixed with puppy chow before I brought her home. I tried the same but no deal. I tried raw egg, canned food, dry food, dry food with warm water gravy. some of that stuff in a packet that looks like gravy, even made her a scrambled egg. Anything else I can do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-12-2019 09:20 PM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Sombody weaned her to quick she is still missing momma. Go to tractor supply or your local feed store get some powdered milk mix with Purina puppy chow take a fork and make a mush. If she don’t eat that head to the vet.

Tar

Old Post 08-12-2019 09:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

How many days has she been like this?
What does her stool look like?
Take her temp. Should be between 101 and 102.5 anything higher and she is sick.
Worms and parvovirus both come to mind. When a dog doesn't have an appetite something is generally wrong. Pups do not last long if they won't at least drink to stay hydrated.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-12-2019 09:39 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

I have had her 3 days and the first day I commented how well she ate. She seems to have energy and stool looks fine and she pees fine. So yesterday she picked around on the egg I gave her. I guess she ate half and she drinks just a little water every time I take her out of her box. Just a few minutes ago I fed her some canned dog food and she ate a couple bites. Thinking about going to Kroger and getting her a rotisserie chicken.

Old Post 08-12-2019 09:52 PM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curt messmer
UKC Forum Member

eat

try boiled potatoes with cottage chesse, it will soothe her stomach

Old Post 08-12-2019 10:36 PM
curt messmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curt messmer Click here to Send curt messmer a Private Message Click Here to Email curt messmer Find more posts by curt messmer Add curt messmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Go on and take her to the vet before she gets any worse sounds bad

Old Post 08-12-2019 11:13 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

I am trying to get in touch with the guy that has the dam and see if I can bring her back for another week with her momma. He only lives about an hour away. If I don't hear from him Its to the vet. Thanks for the replys

Old Post 08-13-2019 01:03 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by crooked ridge
I have had her 3 days and the first day I commented how well she ate. She seems to have energy and stool looks fine and she pees fine. So yesterday she picked around on the egg I gave her. I guess she ate half and she drinks just a little water every time I take her out of her box. Just a few minutes ago I fed her some canned dog food and she ate a couple bites. Thinking about going to Kroger and getting her a rotisserie chicken.

You need to watch her really carefully they can go like this to dead in 24 something is wrong, puppies eat.
Get a digital thermometer and take her temp rectally tonight. If temp is over 102.5 start forcing fluids down her with a syringe. Gatorade or pedialyte and get her to a vet in the morning. If it is low below 101 she is on the downhill side put warm fluids down her.
I've seen wormy pups not have an appetite is her tummy bloated or gums white? If so worm her asap. Pups can also have eaten some foreign object and she could have an obstruction.
Whatever it is dehydration is the killer if you can keep them hydrated most can be saved no matter the what ails. At only 7 weeks time is not your friend their body mass is so small.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-13-2019 01:27 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Agree Jen

Soften puppy chow wtih reg. milk, then put a little more milk if it needs to be softer. 7 wk. old puppy should be ready to devour food, if it is healthy. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 08-13-2019 01:46 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by crooked ridge
I am trying to get in touch with the guy that has the dam and see if I can bring her back for another week with her momma. He only lives about an hour away. If I don't hear from him Its to the vet. Thanks for the replys

You need to check on the health of the rest of the litter. At this age they have only had one puppy shot so no immunity from anything other than that she was getting from her mother. Immunity is built up over time through multiple immunizations.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-13-2019 01:56 AM
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Took her temp and it was 101.8. She was just lying around earlier. My wife gave her a syringe with milk and yogurt mixed a couple hours ago and I had her outside a few minutes ago and she was acting like a different pup, playing and cutting a shine. She gave her another 25ccs again and will continue every hour and a half. She was fine this morning and went down hill as the day progressed. She isn't wormy. She don't like the syringe but it is sure helping. My wife is with yadkintar on this and thinks she is depressed missing her momma. I really appreciate all the replies and will try them all, slowly. I really think the hydration made a huge difference. I will keep a close eye on her and if not better will go to see the doc tomorrow. Haven't heard from the dams owner yet. He may think I would be bringing a sick puppy to his other pups.ha I'd probably think the same thing. Not the case here. Its always the one that you think so highly of that does this. I will keep you informed on her condition.

Old Post 08-13-2019 02:13 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Good deal that temp is normal. Continue to watch closely until she is normal and keep with the fluids. Watch her stool closely if she developes any diarrhea start her on pepto immediately. Bloody diarrhea is the 2nd sign (appetite loss the first) of a few illnesses the most common at this age and time of year being parvo.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-13-2019 02:21 AM
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

I will do as you say and watch the stool and keep her hydrated. Thanks

Old Post 08-13-2019 02:24 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

How is the pup today?

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-13-2019 08:10 PM
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

The pup acted much better today. My wife like I said before gave the puppy yogurt / milk. 25 ccs in a syringe. She did this several times during the night. This morning I took the pup out and she was full of energy like a pup should act. Her stool was normal, only thing she still turned her nose up at the canned or dry food. Never saw one act this way. My friend I got her from called and told me it would be no problem to bring her back with her mother and siblings. In fact I just returned home. I got out of the truck and the puppy was quiet from the ride and then she heard her mother bark and she turned into a different pup. I couldn't hardly hold her she was squirming so much. I put her in the kennel and the momma stopped to let them feed and she was sucking for all she was worth. I will try this again in probably another week when she gets her strength back and starts eating again. There are some fine people on this site willing to help people like myself and I can't thank you all enough. I will let you know how this story ends in a week or so.

Old Post 08-13-2019 09:28 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

So good to hear! So much of the time at that age things can go from bad to worse quickly.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-14-2019 12:01 AM
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Redneck Mafia

Yes good news so far. When you mentioned the P word I really started getting concerned.

Old Post 08-14-2019 12:21 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We boil chicken or hamburger and mix with rice

Old Post 08-14-2019 12:33 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

The puppy that would not eat

As I said earlier I took her back with her momma and brothers. My friend that owns the dam said he and his son fed the pups and they ate like little pigs. That is including mine that wouldn't look at food, getting weak and ready to go to the vet. Beats all I ever seen. He is going to keep her another week and separate them from the mother.

Old Post 08-14-2019 01:45 AM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Had a whole litter of 9 pups done everything to wean but nothing worked.....except Wyler's chicken powder mixed with water and little milk poured over dry food took 2 days a couple times a day and they were on the sauce!

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 08-14-2019 02:45 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you start feeding the pups softened dry food along with letting them nurse at 4 weeks old you won't have this problem. By 8 weeks old they should be eating dry food and nursing very little. You never take a pup directly off their mother and send them to a new home. It is too stressful on them. First you get them to eating dry food, then you take away their mother and then you let them leave. If you do this you won't have these problems.

Old Post 08-14-2019 01:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

pup

Richard you are absolutely right. Yadkintar also posted (Sombody weaned her to quick she is still missing momma) Well I have videos of the puppie eating and the first time I fed the pup she ate good, and went down from there. I guess you never get too old to learn but I have some very good ideas and recommendations on my problem here. I am not exaggerating, but this pup would have starved itself to death had we not gotten some liquids down her. I know she was eating well when I got her along with her brothers but must have been too much shock and stress to quit momma cold turkey. I mistook her problems with being sick I guess. By keeping her another week with the others and taking the dam away will help I'm sure. Thanks again

Old Post 08-14-2019 04:19 PM