UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tree Count Down Rule
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
..... that's the ones the young folks want if you don't give them what they want they won't show up that being said I liked the 80's format but I ain't paying the bills the young folks are.
Tar

The young folks want a Green New Deal also. They want to change the rules so that they get free college, free healthcare and are guaranteed a paycheck whether they actually work or not. Do you think that we should listen to the young folks or older experienced hunters? Maybe everyone would be better off if the young folks listened to us.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-2019 03:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
The young folks want a Green New Deal also. They want to change the rules so that they get free college, free healthcare and are guaranteed a paycheck whether they actually work or not. Do you think that we should listen to the young folks or older experienced hunters? Maybe everyone would be better off if the young folks listened to us.

They ain't going to listen because they don't have to they have other options that we didn't have. You don't give them the game they want they go where the game they want is. That being said ukc as a buisness needs those young folks revenue. Me and you don't have much longer to contribute.

Tarbaby

Old Post 02-28-2019 04:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgan branch
UKC Forum Member

I love the thought of a 2 min and every one else gets 25 at a tree. It makes sense. ADD a no leash lock rule and you will create better coon dogs then.... If you only get 25 after the 2 why do you need a leash lock rule? This helps in 2 ways that will improve the hounds. !st it will penalize the late covering dog and it will also penalize the slick treeing idiot.." prob why it will never get voted in"Then the dogs that hunt coons not just a new area code cause they have been beat for being near another dog will slowly get back to being honest COONDOGS. If there is a coon you best find it and tree it.. Last thing, 1 min on the first dump for babbling.. All to tired of dogs leaving barking and every handler watching his stop watch and striking at 55 seconds.. This is the hardest rule to enforce... Rules say where no track is evident.. prove there is no track.... Therefore you have the babblers.. 100pts every time. just my 2 cents.... Still hunting and raising honest coondogs that can win.

Old Post 02-28-2019 04:21 PM
morgan branch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgan branch Click here to Send morgan branch a Private Message Find more posts by morgan branch Add morgan branch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

If anyone can get to read the article by Jim "WILDMAN" Meeks in American Cooner this month. He's been around a long time and is a smart guy when it comes to comp hunts.Says it all and I agree with it 100%.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 02-28-2019 04:25 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you give them the game they want then they will soon either decide that wasn't really what they wanted and quit or lose interest and quit. That will just leave the older experienced hunters to hunt their game. Changing the rules is not going to change the outside influences that we can't really control. That other kennel club that has the rules that you are asking for is having the same numbers problems at the local level that UKC is having. If you want to change the rules, change them to reflect the growing loss of hunting area.

Old Post 02-28-2019 04:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by morgan branch
I love the thought of a 2 min and every one else gets 25 at a tree. It makes sense. ADD a no leash lock rule and you will create better coon dogs then.... If you only get 25 after the 2 why do you need a leash lock rule? This helps in 2 ways that will improve the hounds..........Then the dogs that hunt coons not just a new area code cause they have been beat for being near another dog will slowly get back to being honest COONDOGS.....

The tree countdown rule came from PKC. The deep and alone dogs came from PKC. Is that a coincidence? If a dog only gets 25 points for second tree, then he had better be deep and alone with a first. Is that a "better dog"? These rule changes are just like the New Green Deal. They sound great on paper until you figure out the cost.

Old Post 02-28-2019 04:47 PM
morgan branch
UKC Forum Member

Richard, It was a 2 part scenario. Eliminate the leash lock rule. I am just looking at ways to acclimate to the smaller tracts of hunting land and to improve the type of hounds we are breeding. The complaints of today are the nose and tracking ability has gone down.. The style of dogs that seem to be the popular thing now days is deep and alone that ambushed a coon not struck a track and drove the coon up a tree, but run across a coon and looked at it as they were going over to the next farm down the road. jmo

Old Post 02-28-2019 04:57 PM
morgan branch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgan branch Click here to Send morgan branch a Private Message Find more posts by morgan branch Add morgan branch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
The tree countdown rule came from PKC. The deep and alone dogs came from PKC. Is that a coincidence? If a dog only gets 25 points for second tree, then he had better be deep and alone with a first. Is that a "better dog"? These rule changes are just like the New Green Deal. They sound great on paper until you figure out the cost.

Richard ukc is now giving away money like $$$ kc's you are going to attract a different type competitor!!

Are we ready for that I know but we will see.

Tar

Old Post 02-28-2019 05:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, you are one of the guys that pushed for this to appease your young friends. Will it turn out to be another example of the New Green Deal?

Old Post 02-28-2019 06:46 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Richard when $$$ first started Jarvis spent a lot of time at our club in cleburn Texas ! These new rules if they pass will be no shock to me been using them for years it's not new to many of us. But like I said before I liked the 80's format maybe because I was young then and that's were a lot of memories were made. Here is were I am at (if) these changes are made as a moh I will have to accept them and abide by them and referee while everybody adjust to them. I hunt in all registrys when I am on a cast the most important thing I have learned is I know my dog. And I know in my mind what everybody's score on the cast is and where I am at and what I need to do to win. Sometimes I just get beat like everybody else and it wasn't the rules it was because me and my dog fell short of the mark.

Tar

Old Post 02-28-2019 07:00 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Tarbaby, I thought that you had turned in your MOH license?

Old Post 02-28-2019 07:04 PM
yadkintar
Banned

You think to many things at one time Richard you make my head hurt.

Tarbaby

Old Post 02-28-2019 07:09 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, my wife says that I make her head hurt also. Sometimes I even give myself a headache. My wife says that when I am pecking on my phone, sometimes she can see smoke coming out of my ears. I guess that it is my ADD.

Old Post 02-28-2019 08:21 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I been studying on this a long time. You know no matter what we think or if we attend or don't this show will go on. And I realized it's not my show anymore. Although I love getting on here what I think really don't matter that much. There are people getting paid more to hunt dogs than I got paid a year for hard work. $7,500 for a weekend just for entry fees. I really don't know how you go about making people happy that are used to spending that kind of money. And that's who these young people look up to.

All I can say is God bless Allen and Todd I wouldn't take their job on a bet.

Tar

Old Post 02-28-2019 09:04 PM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

You already get 50 more points for first tree,how much more do you guys wanting the rule changed need to win a cast? 100 point swing,after two minutes,you want to talk about low turn outs at hunts.....

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 03-02-2019 04:09 AM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Billy George do you really think a dog coming into a tree after 2 minutes should receive 75 points? I don’t mind 1 to cover if ther on the same track but if it’s going to take him 2 minutes to do it he better not much less 4. If a dog trees 900 yards to the west and mines 800 to the east on a track he **** sure has no business breaking his neck going west to tree with that dog.

Old Post 03-02-2019 05:48 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Under current rules,the answer would be yes, if a dog covers 800 yards in your description Id say no. My point is if you drop to 25 after two,first tree has to drop to 100... jmo take it for what its worth....

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 03-03-2019 02:50 AM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
Under current rules,the answer would be yes, if a dog covers 800 yards in your description Id say no. My point is if you drop to 25 after two,first tree has to drop to 100... jmo take it for what its worth....

Jmo, the only people who would ever want it lowered to 100 are those with dishonest 1st strike dogs who me-too on trees very late when they never ran a track in or they would have been there sooner.
The dog that does the work and trees coons the fastest should be awarded. That is the purpose of a competition hunt.
Look at it this way... the dog treeing first always has the most to loose. 125 holds the dog accountable right, wrong or indifferent (plus, minus or circle). With tree points at 125 they may have the most to gain but also the most to loose if they are slick. The late dog didn't run the track as fast or maybe just covered, it is held accountable for it's actions but not to the extent of the first there.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-03-2019 03:44 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SFWALKER
UKC Forum Member

The real question is, why in the heck is a dog given ANY points for covering 2 or 3 minutes late???? I would love to see the tree closed after 3 or even 2 minutes.

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Southern Farms Jeb
GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Southern Farms Pearl
UKC NITECH AKC NITECH 'PR' Southern Farms Independence
'PR' Southern Farms Bohannon

Gone But Not Forgotten:
UKC NITECH GRCH AKC NITECH 'PR' Southern Farms Bocephus
GRNITECH 'PR' Lookin' Up Liberty

901-282-9262

Old Post 03-03-2019 04:03 AM
SFWALKER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SFWALKER Click here to Send SFWALKER a Private Message Click Here to Email SFWALKER Find more posts by SFWALKER Add SFWALKER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Count down tree rule change should really help the circle tree rule. Lot more minus tree points when one dog gets 125 and the dogs that back 2 min. later get 25. Lots of handlers would take 25 minus instead of 75. 2 dogs treed one has 125 the other has 25. 2 dogs still trailing . 3 votes minus I vote plus.
After 2 minutes only 25 pt. sounds good.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 03-03-2019 03:05 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Last edited by Travis Brown on 03-04-2019 at 03:10 AM

Old Post 03-03-2019 08:57 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Surely to God we are smart enough to add up one number bigger than the other.
CC

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-03-2019 11:08 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am mixed up lol !! But the tree countdown is to combat the babbling strike carrying dog that runs 800 yrds to cover and gets 75 tree at 4:59. When in reality the dog that struck honest at 25 on the coon in a completely different direction and treed it for 125 from getting beat.

25 strike 125 tree = 150

100 strike 75 tree = 175

The winner on that coon did nothing but get his mouth open quick and cover.

Tar

Old Post 03-03-2019 11:16 PM
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

My first post must have been poorly worded. Yes lower the strike points and the 50 point split from first to second tree is enough. At least half of the strike points on the casts I have been on in the last several years have not been on a coon track anyway. The tree points are verified to be a coon. So the tree points need to be where the hunt is won or lost. Counting down the tree points and leaving the strike points the same just makes the strike points a higher percentage of the points on the scorecard. I sure don't want to see that. All dogs have to be competing for strike for 100 strike to be available but that is often just the first drop when the dogs are most likely to be babbling. That makes no sense. I would much rather see a dog getting 75 tree at 4:59 on a seen coon than get 100 strike at 55 seconds into the first drop. Neither are contributing anything to the hunt but at least the one is treeing a coon.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Last edited by Travis Brown on 03-04-2019 at 03:32 AM

Old Post 03-04-2019 03:01 AM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote