UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Asto 320 vs Alpha
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mobluedog
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Asto 320 vs Alpha

Needing some help on the two. I have a Garmin Astro 320 with dc50 collars. It's just a little over a year old. It works well just considering upgrading. Is the Alpha (other than the shocking capability) that much better? I'm wondering what other perks you get from the Alpha? For instance, range, response time, battery life, ect.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2017 06:42 PM
mobluedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mobluedog Click here to Send mobluedog a Private Message Find more posts by mobluedog Add mobluedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The Perks as you call them and not in order!

1. Battery Life
2. Can Blue Tooth to Drive Track
3. Touch screen which is a fan favorite of some, while others don't like it.
4. If your a pack hunter you can have up to 20 dogs on an ALPHA and only 10 on an Astro.
5. You can track another ALPHA also. (your buddy)
6. The system is newer and operating Platform will be around a lot longer than the 320.

Old Post 05-24-2017 07:35 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mobluedog
UKC Forum Member

Does one seem to hold better connection to the dog than the other? My 320 does pretty decent now, but once in a while will loose signal.

Old Post 05-24-2017 08:44 PM
mobluedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mobluedog Click here to Send mobluedog a Private Message Find more posts by mobluedog Add mobluedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I would say about the same but many think the ALPHA is better and maybe is. I always kept my 320's updated and they worked fine.

Old Post 05-24-2017 08:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I really like being able to tone my dog in and also to turn on the collar light when he is getting close to a a road. I have been glad I upgraded to Alpha.

Old Post 05-24-2017 10:14 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markwood
UKC Forum Member

alpha

just up graded to alpha really love the training capabilities and i believe im getting better range than the 320 however im not the greatest learner when it comes to electronics the alpha is way harder to navigate around on and has way too many options for my liking i do not think i will ever be able to use it like i could the 320 that being said i still am glad i changed 1 box to carry and if i need train i can i just have to get used to the rest of it

Old Post 05-24-2017 11:39 PM
markwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markwood Click here to Send markwood a Private Message Click Here to Email markwood Find more posts by markwood Add markwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Markwood, it gets a lot easier as you use it. I'm not real computer savy but I like my Alpha better all the time.

Old Post 05-24-2017 11:52 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Most important lesson I learned about the Alpha is to lock the screen before you put it in your pocket or vest. If you don't you will touch the screen enough to really mess everything up.

Old Post 05-24-2017 11:59 PM