UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > Need Dog Breed Suggestions
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Need Dog Breed Suggestions

My wife has decided that we need a "family dog". It has to be a Breed I can't train to hunt with. We have 3 kids, 10,3 and 4 months. I want a medium or bigger Breed, short coat, good with kids, protective but not overly protective where every time someone comes over we have to kennel it. It will be outside, and be in a fenced yard for room to run.

This is what we're looking at right now German Shepherd or Husky

I do not have any desire for a Pit Bull!

Any suggestions is appreciated, I have never had any dogs that weren't meant to be hunted with.

Home to:

Harris's King George
(Bone x Skuna River Dixie

Jakes Sweet Dreams Susie
( SCH Carters Baby Jake x Manns Tar Little Angle )

Harris's Sweet Hay Bale
( GRNITECH PKC CH Haystack x Jakes Sweet Dreams Susie )

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-24-2017 08:50 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CentralTn
UKC Forum Member

Australian Shepherd.My son has one that is smart and very protective with the kids.I would say you could train them to be about anyway you want.If I get another yard dog this will be the breed I will get.

Old Post 05-24-2017 09:54 PM
CentralTn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CentralTn Click here to Send CentralTn a Private Message Find more posts by CentralTn Add CentralTn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
English96
New UKC Forum Member

Golden Retrievers can be very good family dogs they are not really guard dogs but, neither is a Husky. I'm a dog groomer and I know that Huskies & German Shepherds take as much if not more grooming then a field bred Golden. Huskies need excessive amounts of exercise and if they get out of their enclosure they will run away and are very hard to get back. German Shepherds can be good dogs but, they are guard dogs so they can be over protective. I also know that Australian Shepherds can be fearful of strangers and have a tendency for nipping. My breed of choice is the Border Collie but, they are herding dogs and some can be very high drive.

Old Post 05-25-2017 06:49 AM
English96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for English96 Click here to Send English96 a Private Message Find more posts by English96 Add English96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote