UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon feeders/ food plot
coon feeder/ food plot
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Corn 34 47.89%
Dog food 20 28.17%
compost 1 1.41%
none 7 9.86%
other 9 12.68%
Total: 64 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SRF
UKC Forum Member

Coon feeders/ food plot

I made a thread to see if anyone uses feeders or food plots for bringing in coons. If so what do you use? If you pick other please tell what you use. I'm making a coon feeder in the near future and am wondering what everyone uses for bait.

Another question i had is if anyone ever tried planting a food plot for coons?

Thank you for the all the answers,
Eric.

Last edited by SRF on 05-23-2017 at 11:06 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2017 11:04 PM
SRF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SRF Click here to Send SRF a Private Message Click Here to Email SRF Find more posts by SRF Add SRF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondog48
UKC Forum Member

Just plant sweet corn they will come from miles away!!!!!

Old Post 05-23-2017 11:21 PM
coondog48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondog48 Click here to Send coondog48 a Private Message Click Here to Email coondog48 Find more posts by coondog48 Add coondog48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SRF
UKC Forum Member

That's what i was thinking to do.

Old Post 05-23-2017 11:40 PM
SRF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SRF Click here to Send SRF a Private Message Click Here to Email SRF Find more posts by SRF Add SRF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

A dollar bag of marshmallows on top of your feeder buckets filled with corn.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 05-24-2017 01:03 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion and from what I have seen cheap cat food is the best....corn will attract squirrels,birds,bear.etc.... I have went through 2 30 pound bags of cat food in less than 3 weeks...they love it...pour powdered grape kool-aid In and on your feeder with it the first time and they will find it a lot faster....haven't had a bear touch one of my feeders with cat food in it yet...I'm not saying they won't but where I live there are a lot of bear and it hasn't happened yet (knock on wood)

Old Post 05-24-2017 01:41 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

I use a 50/50 mix of shelled corn and dog food in my feeders. I add in the corn more to help keep it moving thru the feeders I use than for something they will eat or get attracted to. Corn by itself does work, but adding dog or cat food works even better...it also cost more. I usually add in some dry grape or black raspberry Kool-Aid. In the winter I pour in bacon grease. No bear where I live so I am lucky not to have to worry about them.
I tried a rabbit water bottle full of molasses once and it didn't work at all...even when I sugared it all up to make it edible. They just didn't mess with it. Then I tried it full of grape Kool-Aid that was so sugared up it was like syrup. They went for that, but it don't work good in warm weather...it draws too many wasps and bees and turns rancid pretty quick.
Don't know about a feed plot...sweet corn seems like a lot of work and it's only good for such a short time.

Old Post 05-24-2017 04:52 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

culled peanuts from the sheller. best thing going around these parts.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 05-24-2017 12:35 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoonerBeBlue
UKC Forum Member

Cheap dog feed works great

Hound I currently have in training:
Mountain Fork Blue Mable

Old Post 05-24-2017 01:20 PM
SoonerBeBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SoonerBeBlue Click here to Send SoonerBeBlue a Private Message Find more posts by SoonerBeBlue Add SoonerBeBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Pop corn.... cheap and they live double butter.. lol

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 05-24-2017 02:43 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

I bought 17 popcorn tins at Fred dollar store for $2.50 around New years. Duck taped the lid and cut a 1x1 square in center of the bottom and tied to trees 16-18 inches of the ground and it worked great. I put cameras on them & never went a night w/o coon, they last 10-15 days typically.

Old Post 05-24-2017 08:02 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

I do the old tire hanging in tree, full with corn and water, grape cool aid to get started

Old Post 05-24-2017 08:52 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

I've heard guys in here talk about souring corn on here before. I can get corn cheap around here. How do u sour corn so the squirrels n such don't eat it all?

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 05-25-2017 02:44 PM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I sprinkled grape kool aid on the top of a plastic five gallon bucket feeder once and they ate the top off of it. I found out that it doesn't matter what you put it on, they will eat it. I bet that if you planted some grapes, you would attract plenty of coons.

Old Post 05-25-2017 03:00 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I have used cheap dog food and sour corn with grape kool aid. Both work well.

Make sour corn by adding water to corn kernels and covering it. After it starts to ferment, it smells. Then stir grape kool aid into the mixture. You may need to add some more water if the corn absorbs most of it.

PS in my area a feeder can become very hard to keep filled.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 05-25-2017 03:13 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

If you want to sour your corn faster mix in sugar and apple cider vinegar.

Some Buy cheap peanut butter jars punch hole in bottom walk and toss out about 2-3 in area you wanting to hunt.
I know a guy who dont like to litter and he takes peanut jars uses a HUGE flat washer and screws cap onto tree about foot from ground. cut small hole in bottom of jar and screw it onto its own cap u just screwed to tree. Only problem is coons and squirrels will chew up the plastic fairly quick. Im improvising the idea with a metal can i can slide a peanut butter jar into .
Also heard of a guy who dug holes in ground to hold a 5 gal bucket flush with the ground pours corn and water in. Too much work for me to dig that many big holes in this rocky ground here LOL but heard it worked nicely and put a guy in the winners circle at Autumn Oaks few years back.
I just use the tire feeders with corn, $1 bag marshmallows or the grape kool aid sugar mix. Always works & fairly cheap

Old Post 05-25-2017 04:33 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SRF
UKC Forum Member

Thank you all for the info. I'm hunting this new land and i don't understand why but there are literally no coons on the land. I've treed once on this land in the past 6 months unlike every where else you'll tree a lot. Could a feeder increase the population or what do y'all think i should try? I'm a little frustrated and aren't sure what to do cause i can't hunt the old land no more.

Old Post 05-25-2017 09:50 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SRF
Thank you all for the info. I'm hunting this new land and i don't understand why but there are literally no coons on the land. I've treed once on this land in the past 6 months unlike every where else you'll tree a lot. Could a feeder increase the population or what do y'all think i should try? I'm a little frustrated and aren't sure what to do cause i can't hunt the old land no more.

I have seen a few times, coon run late. Not sure why, yotes? Neighbor dogs? Alot of noise from farmers, allotments? I have one 80 acre woods almost impossible before midnite. Feed may bring them out or try hunting later after everything quiets down.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 05-25-2017 10:04 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by SRF

I have played around with feeders half my life. They can maybe increase the population some but the reasons are usually temporary. Raccoons need several things to stay in an area. The most important thing I have seen is big hollow trees. They will go in the ground or in rocks, but that is an exception. Females in the wild always have their young in big hollow trees for safety and survival. No big trees, no coon, it's that simple. Next in importance is water and they definitely prefer a stream or small feeder creek over ponds and lakes. There has to be water nearby or again, no coon. Third is food, and make no mistake, they wont throw caution to the wind and move right into an area that has no wild source of food just because you slapped up a feeder. Sure, they will hit a feeder, but they wont call that area home.
As far as what you can do about it...den boxes can solve the lack of hollow trees, but there still has to be some big trees around. There is not much you can do if there is no stream there. You can still have coon visit a feeder, but it will probably be in the dead middle of winter.
I have a hunting cabin on top of a mountain in Virginia. There are really no big trees to speak of, just a handful of nice oaks. There is no water within a mile and most of the year no coon visit my feeders. When the weather gets below freezing in January the biggest, fattest, healthiest five amigos you ever saw are there every night.

Last edited by msinc on 05-26-2017 at 03:06 AM

Old Post 05-26-2017 03:01 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
I have played around with feeders half my life. They can maybe increase the population some but the reasons are usually temporary. Raccoons need several things to stay in an area. The most important thing I have seen is big hollow trees. They will go in the ground or in rocks, but that is an exception. Females in the wild always have their young in big hollow trees for safety and survival. No big trees, no coon, it's that simple. Next in importance is water and they definitely prefer a stream or small feeder creek over ponds and lakes. There has to be water nearby or again, no coon. Third is food, and make no mistake, they wont throw caution to the wind and move right into an area that has no wild source of food just because you slapped up a feeder. Sure, they will hit a feeder, but they wont call that area home.
As far as what you can do about it...den boxes can solve the lack of hollow trees, but there still has to be some big trees around. There is not much you can do if there is no stream there. You can still have coon visit a feeder, but it will probably be in the dead middle of winter.
I have a hunting cabin on top of a mountain in Virginia. There are really no big trees to speak of, just a handful of nice oaks. There is no water within a mile and most of the year no coon visit my feeders. When the weather gets below freezing in January the biggest, fattest, healthiest five amigos you ever saw are there every night.

This. ^^^^

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 05-26-2017 03:17 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I never planted a food plot but I planted a few high yield mulberry trees. As soon as they got big enough to start bearing fruit, only 3 years, bears almost tore them to shreds. Then they were cut down by the forestry people. I planted high yield persimmon trees and saw tooth oaks. They were killed when the forest was burned. I'm done with that.

Old Post 05-26-2017 08:58 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

Another thing I have seen, is that when the berries are out, you can just about forget the feeders. They will choose natural feed over sour corn. I used to get free dog food. I would put the buckets near a source of water. I never had much of a problem getting them the come into the feeders. Now my free feed is gone and last year I used sour corn. I hung a couple 50 gallon plastic barrels up with 50lbs of corn and water in them. It was ok but nothing like that dog food.

Old Post 05-26-2017 10:49 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I guess different areas have different requirements. Sows normally have their young in treetop piles, hollow stumps and logs here. I don't know why but we find most of them there every year. The first thing to attract them here is food, if they have food they will find a place to live. Water is a must obviously. One of the bigger things is a lack of hunting pressure. Less pressure more coon.

One thing I don't understand is some woods seem to have everything but no coons. We have a 400 acre block of woods down the road from me. It has everything that has been listed but hardly any coons? It used to hold coons and the only thing I can think of is it's hay fields around it now and it used to be agriculture crops.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-26-2017 11:49 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

I have seen woods with everything where there should be at least some coons but none. Do you have coyotes out your way??? If there are coyotes denning up around an area you can bet there will be at least way less coon. A coons number one predator is great horned owls. They don't kill the adults obviously, but an owl with chicks will wipe out an entire litter in about two weeks.
One thing that happens here, and my land is a perfect example...in areas where there are tidal waters {we are on a peninsula} they will go pretty good distances to feed on a beach or marsh during low tide. I have a feeder creek on my land that is a nice bottom with everything they could want. I am about a mile upstream from the head of a big salt marsh. During high tide the coon are here and even my dogs can manage to get one treed. Let a storm come thru and blow the water out of the bay and they are not seen for a week. catch a couple low tides at night and they are gone as well.
They definitely move around to the food supply...there could be some wild plant that they are eating and they all left to go get some.

Old Post 05-27-2017 01:39 AM
SRF
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I have seen woods with everything where there should be at least some coons but none. Do you have coyotes out your way??? If there are coyotes denning up around an area you can bet there will be at least way less coon. A coons number one predator is great horned owls. They don't kill the adults obviously, but an owl with chicks will wipe out an entire litter in about two weeks.
One thing that happens here, and my land is a perfect example...in areas where there are tidal waters {we are on a peninsula} they will go pretty good distances to feed on a beach or marsh during low tide. I have a feeder creek on my land that is a nice bottom with everything they could want. I am about a mile upstream from the head of a big salt marsh. During high tide the coon are here and even my dogs can manage to get one treed. Let a storm come thru and blow the water out of the bay and they are not seen for a week. catch a couple low tides at night and they are gone as well.
They definitely move around to the food supply...there could be some wild plant that they are eating and they all left to go get some.

Yeah we got some coyotes around and lots of great horned owls so maybe they put a dent in the population.

Old Post 05-27-2017 02:32 AM