UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Poll Scenario-Allen
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Poll Scenario-Allen

OK Allen I got one for your poll scenario. Happened to me so I'm looking for clarification.

While hunting in a patch of woods in Indiana I might add, cast cannot get all dogs treed at the same time, so some cast members have to keep recasting in and around the same woods for an hour and 15 minutes or so.

So now here is the scenario; 2 dogs treed, 2 dogs at large. While scoring these two dogs tree, one of the two dogs at large (judges dog) comes in to the judge while he is shining this tree. The judge handles his dog, and is prepared to minus his strike points. One of the two handlers of the dogs we are scoring say's the judge is scratched for handling his dog with it not being on a tree. I explained that I handled my dog within 20 feet of the tree as it had come in to me (thinking I would take my minus) in an effort to save some time to go make another drop in a new set of woods.

This man seemed emphatic that he was correct and since my dog was looking pretty sorry anyway, I scratched myself and continued to judge the cast. Was It wrong or right to have scratched my dog in that situation, with my dog not treeing on this tree but being caught by it's handler within 20 feet of this tree??

I would simply like to know the official answer so that if/when I ever get in that situation again, I will know how to handle it. I didn't put a question on the card, but did ask my master of hounds when I returned to club house, and this master of hounds agreed with me. Having said that I'm a master of hounds too, but wasn't absolutely certain on the proper way to score this situation, but rather than cause a big disruption, I simply scratched my own dog, and continued to complete the cast. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2018 04:52 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The rule (and Allen) say that if the dog comes into the tree he should be handled. It doesn't say anything about smelling up on the tree or barking. And since you are the judge, you can't be scratched for handling your dog. And whether your dog gets minused or not depends on how the tree was scored.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:53 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Richard is correct, you could handle the dog and the only way he gets minus is if they have a coon. You see the dog only has to "come into the tree" It doesn't say he has to come in and tree. You are at the tree so if the dog comes into you he has come into the tree. This is only correct in UKC if it was $kc it is handled completely different and that's where a lot of the confusion happens.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-14-2018 06:02 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
....Richard is correct....

Oh my goodness, I finally got one right. I am going to have to show this to my wife. I knew that if I kept answering these that I would eventually get one right. I am about as accurate as my dog now. She has a coon about 10% of the time. Michael, thanks for pointing out that I was finally correct about something.

Old Post 06-14-2018 03:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Richard is correct, you could handle the dog and the only way he gets minus is if they have a coon. You see the dog only has to "come into the tree" It doesn't say he has to come in and tree. You are at the tree so if the dog comes into you he has come into the tree. This is only correct in UKC if it was $kc it is handled completely different and that's where a lot of the confusion happens.

I was at a RQE last year and this same situation happened. I was judging. We were scoring a tree that was on the edge of a field and we were standing 15 or 20 yards in the field looking for the coon. My female was starting to come in and I was glad she did as we needed to move, rather then turn loose in there again. It was HOT!

Well she came up to me while still shinning and was standing there. I handled her and rested my strike fate on what they had in the tree. We couldn't find the coon and a handler demanded she be minused on strike for quitting a track and coming in.

We had words and I told him he could ? it if he wanted. Well 1 guy withdrerw because he was so far down and wanted to leave. We went back to the club and the MOH said I was to be minused. Even tho its clear black and white that while scoring a tree a dog that comes in gets a free pass. Unless of course a coon is seen.

Most problems arise from just lack of knowledge on the hunters parts and MOHs.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 06-14-2018 04:18 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

All responses are correct. The dog should have been handled, it's the right thing to do. Rule 5(b) applies. The scoring of this dog is now hinged on how the tree is scored.

If there's a coon seen, the dogs gets minus strike points. Otherwise, his/her strike points are circled.

Don't get caught up with any idea of assigning tree points and minusing both strike and tree, if the tree is scored as slick. The dog came in after the judge arrived. 5(b) all day, every day. This is different than "treeing but not declared treed, when the judge arrived".

Old Post 06-14-2018 04:29 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

That doesn't sound like lack of knowledge of the rules. It seems more like a lack of ability to comprehend what's in black and white.

Old Post 06-14-2018 04:29 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
....All responses are correct.....

Mr Gingerich, would it have killed you to simply say, "Richard is correct"? It has such a nice ring to it. Try it out loud while you are sitting at work.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:09 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Mr Gingerich, would it have killed you to simply say, "Richard is correct"? It has such a nice ring to it. Try it out loud while you are sitting at work.

I thought about it but thought better of it. It's a weird "ring" that just doesn't sound right. lol.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:31 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Go ahead and be the first one to get the next one right, and we'll think about moving you up the ladder a couple more steps.

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:32 PM
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
I was at a RQE last year and this same situation happened. I was judging. We were scoring a tree that was on the edge of a field and we were standing 15 or 20 yards in the field looking for the coon. My female was starting to come in and I was glad she did as we needed to move, rather then turn loose in there again. It was HOT!

Well she came up to me while still shinning and was standing there. I handled her and rested my strike fate on what they had in the tree. We couldn't find the coon and a handler demanded she be minused on strike for quitting a track and coming in.

We had words and I told him he could ? it if he wanted. Well 1 guy withdrerw because he was so far down and wanted to leave. We went back to the club and the MOH said I was to be minused. Even tho its clear black and white that while scoring a tree a dog that comes in gets a free pass. Unless of course a coon is seen.

Most problems arise from just lack of knowledge on the hunters parts and MOHs.

In all honesty I could see the you getting minused in that situation. 15-20 yards is a long way from a tree. If you would have arrived at the tree and a dog was declared treed and treeing in the field I'm sure it would have been minused.

Old Post 06-14-2018 06:19 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
In all honesty I could see the you getting minused in that situation. 15-20 yards is a long way from a tree. If you would have arrived at the tree and a dog was declared treed and treeing in the field I'm sure it would have been minused.
It's not the same as the dog being treed. He only has to come into the vicinity of the tree to be handled.

Old Post 06-14-2018 06:38 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:

UKC puts no distance on when a dog is to be handled when a dog comes into a tree that's being scored. I don't know to many hunters that will stand directly under a tree to shine it. Especially on a woods edge or a fence row.

Any dog coming into a cast when scoring a tree cannot be minused under the rules. Unless a coon is seen. I believe anytime a dog quits a track regardless of when it does it, it should be minused. But I follow how UKC tells me to score it.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 06-14-2018 08:44 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

So if you walked into a tree and a dog was treeing 20 yards away from the tree, you wouldn't minus it or vote to minus it?

You could have been shining the tree in this field 50 yards away. Under your interpretation is this still consider coming into the tree?

Old Post 06-14-2018 09:57 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
So if you walked into a tree and a dog was treeing 20 yards away from the tree, you wouldn't minus it or vote to minus it?

You could have been shining the tree in this field 50 yards away. Under your interpretation is this still consider coming into the tree?

If you're shining the tree, would consider yourself "at the tree"?

Old Post 06-14-2018 11:05 PM
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
If you're shining the tree, would consider yourself "at the tree"?

Touche

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 06-15-2018 12:26 AM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmkyRvrClayton
New UKC Forum Member

What If

What if a dog comes in and instead of it being handled they leave it alone and it trees 3 trees over with a coon? Should that dog have been handled and missed out on his points?

Old Post 06-15-2018 01:04 AM
SmkyRvrClayton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmkyRvrClayton Click here to Send SmkyRvrClayton a Private Message Find more posts by SmkyRvrClayton Add SmkyRvrClayton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Only if you want to hunt by the rules as they are now.

Old Post 06-15-2018 01:08 AM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Thank You Allen for weighing in on this. I didn't think I should be scratched but this one handler was very persuasive that he was correct. In his defense he did encourage me to put a question on the card and find out for myself, but that would have required me to have driven all the way back to the main club house and my dog was looking sorta bad anyway.

In answer to the other question, the two dogs that were treed got circled as they were treed on a monster den oak. So I guess from what I am understanding, I should have circled Lizzie's strike points as well. The only other thing that I think may be relevant to this is that there was still one dog at large, when Lizzie came into this tree. And I guessing that doesn't matter since we should have then pulled them off and started the 8 minutes on that one remains dog.

Again Thanks so much, I will file that under things I thought I already knew but must have forgotten, LOL Much appreciated!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 06-15-2018 03:16 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Rocketman55, yes her strike points should have been circled.

The part that people do not agree with is the dog is not truly coming into the tree. In reality they have quit what they were doing and come to the handler. No one is denying that, but they way UKC handles it is the dog has come to the tree because you are "at" the tree. Its really not something the dog should be allowed to get away with but they do.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-15-2018 03:25 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:

As long as the shine time has started the dog cannot be minused for coming in. Now, some judges won't order a.dog to be handled unless it shows interest in the tree being scored. I, however see no good coming from allowinga dog to mill around while scoring a tree.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 06-15-2018 04:39 AM
DwayneWhite
UKC Forum Member

quote:

How would it supposed to have been handled in PKC?

Old Post 06-15-2018 06:54 PM
DwayneWhite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneWhite Click here to Send DwayneWhite a Private Message Click Here to Email DwayneWhite Find more posts by DwayneWhite Add DwayneWhite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DwayneWhite
How would it supposed to have been handled in PKC?

Dog has to come in and tree on the tree to be handled. If it just walks in or walks up to a handler it will be minus on track for quieting.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-15-2018 07:00 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
As long as the shine time has started the dog cannot be minused for coming in. Now, some judges won't order a.dog to be handled unless it shows interest in the tree being scored. I, however see no good coming from allowinga dog to mill around while scoring a tree.

Remember the judge does not have to order the dog be handled. He has no choice. The rules state that all dogs at the tree MUST be leashed. There is no lee way here, no waiting to be told. If the dog is at the tree you are to put a leash on it.

That's why the judge is supposed to be the first to arrive at the tree, so he can determine who is showing treed but when you get to the tree by rule you are to leash all dogs at the tree and you are to leash all dogs that come in to the tree.

Thats just the way the rule is written in UKC.

Old Post 06-16-2018 02:07 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I always thought that judge was in charge and no one could handle their dog until the judge told them to. When you go in to a tree, can you handle your dog before the judge tells you to even though the rule says dogs at the tree must be handled?

Old Post 06-16-2018 03:13 AM