UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > score this
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

score this

Dogs are cut loose get struck in the one dog trees others go on after scoring the tree cast walks back out in the field no dogs heard barking eight is started one guy says dogs are getting close to a major highway and wants to call a time out majority 3 to 1 agree what should be done with the strike points and why just wondering

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:20 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

5f and 7a

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

don't have a score case handy today would you mind posting what they say thanks

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:40 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Actually 5g if if judge has to call time in accordance to rule 7 delete.

Rule7a says when dogs are getting on highway trail on to posted land or trail onto a place that is a danger to dogs or hunters call time out.

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Garmin

Okay but under no circumstances can telemetry be used in the scoring of a dog no dogs barking so I don't know about a highway but the rule quoted says dogs trailing on to posted land. Ain't they suppose to bark at least some when trailing without a Garmin you'd have no idea if they were getting close to a highway or standing fifty yards over in the timber so can you score points off a Garmin

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:15 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Ain't no cast win worth getting Sombody hurt or a dog killed. Crap we all look at the garmins now if that guy shows me his dog is on the highway I am going to help him to keep his dog from getting killed.

But that's called sportsmanship !!

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:21 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Regardless of anything else, if a majority of the cast votes to call timeout, then time is out and all strikes are deleted.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:25 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

X2...what Jim said

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:37 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Nothings says you can't call time out. The question was what do you do with the points. The rules state you can't use a garmin to score the dogs, therefore if time out is called, dogs would be minused strike points and 1 hr. to catch dogs. If I was in cast I would take my minus and catch my dog as quick as I could. I would scratch my dog if I was outvoted to call time out.

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:40 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Delete per 5 (f,g).

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:10 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hennessey
Nothings says you can't call time out. The question was what do you do with the points. The rules state you can't use a garmin to score the dogs, therefore if time out is called, dogs would be minused strike points and 1 hr. to catch dogs. If I was in cast I would take my minus and catch my dog as quick as I could. I would scratch my dog if I was outvoted to call time out.

I'm not quite understanding you here Bob, forget the Garmin, don't really matter why you call time out, if time out is called, then all strike points get deleted. There is nothing to minus.

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:24 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaine Stout
UKC Forum Member

I could be very wrong but if the 8 is started then the nothing can be done until the 8 is broke or 8 min. is up.

Hounds that reside at Cedar Creek Ranch

WALKERS
Ch Grnitech Cedar Creek Paco

ENGLISH
Grch Blackfords C'mon Eileen
Nitech Wanna be a Lunatic

R.I.P
Nitech Cedar Creek Timbers Blu Junior

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:27 PM
Blaine Stout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaine Stout Click here to Send Blaine Stout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blaine Stout Find more posts by Blaine Stout Add Blaine Stout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
5f and 7a

x2

and I do not think UKC would consider this scoring a dog.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:35 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pttm08
UKC Forum Member

IMO you are not using the Garmin to score a dog, you are determining there location. Using a Garmin to score a dog would be staring at it and declaring the dog treed.
The purpose that everyone fought to get Garmin's in a hunt was because you had to be able to see if they were close to a road.

Home of

PR CH Big Blue Buster HTX
PR CH Angle Plantation's Red Jasper

Let's get Ticked

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:40 PM
pttm08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pttm08 Click here to Send pttm08 a Private Message Click Here to Email pttm08 Find more posts by pttm08 Add pttm08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I'm not quite understanding you here Bob, forget the Garmin, don't really matter why you call time out, if time out is called, then all strike points get deleted. There is nothing to minus.
it does matter why time out is called. now here is were stretching the rules come into play. because if time out is called for any other reason than safety reasons. than stretching bending or twisting is being done if the points weren't minus. seems everyone can up with an excuse when it's convenient though. just because three agree to call time out doesn't make it right. it could mean 3 agreed to bend the rules.

Old Post 06-05-2018 06:05 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
it does matter why time out is called. now here is were stretching the rules come into play. because if time out is called for any other reason than safety reasons. than stretching bending or twisting is being done if the points weren't minus. seems everyone can up with an excuse when it's convenient though. just because three agree to call time out doesn't make it right. it could mean 3 agreed to bend the rules.

Go back and read the original question. There is no mention of Garmin. It is a very simple question. Dogs are going towards highway, time is called, what happens to strike points? That is the question I answered. All the Garmin stuff was brought up by others and was never part of the question. As if we never knew a dog was headed toward the highway until we got Garmins.

Old Post 06-05-2018 06:13 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i didn't mention garmin either.
jim you said didn't matter why time out was called, i was just stating that it does matter so everyone don't get confused.
highway threat should be deleted points.
calling time out when ever the cast just feels like they want to without minus wouldn't be ok.

Old Post 06-05-2018 06:29 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Well, I think we will just have to disagree on this one because I cannot find anything in the rules that allow anything other than delete strike when time is called.

Old Post 06-05-2018 07:02 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Regardless of anything else, if a majority of the cast votes to call timeout, then time is out and all strikes are deleted.

That's it.

A majority of cast voting to call timeout because telemetry showed the dogs nearing a hwy and in danger, is not considered by UKC as using telemetry to score dogs. What you can't use telemetry for is to determine whether or not dogs moved after having been declared treed etc....

Dog safety was the #1 reason for implementing the use of telemetry during the course of a hunt. You would still need a majority to call time out. If a majority is not reached, at least the handler has the option to withdraw and go handle the dog.

Bob H. mentioned the 8 minutes was running therefore time couldn't be called. Not sure why not, if the dogs are in fact in or nearing danger. If handlers are misusing the timeout rule for anything other than its intent, then each one of them is exposing their personal lack of integrity and blatantly violating Rule 7. It's as simple as that. Handlers voting to call time out for any little road falls under that same category. I have to chuckle sometimes when handlers will pull over next to a road, park, turn the dogs out from there and later in the hunt "use" that same road as a dangerous place for the dogs to get near for nothing more than to delete points to benefit themselves.

Old Post 06-05-2018 07:08 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Pretty sure this rule is abused by cheaters. It's in place for several reasons but mainly hound safety. If a cast win is more important to you than the safety of someone eylses hound, you need to reevaluating your sportsmanship.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 06-05-2018 07:13 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I had a guy a couple of months back want to call time for getting on posted land. Theirs was all on the leash and we were going to mine treed. He said we have to call time and I had to go get my dog. I asked who owned the land we were hunting on. He told me so I pulled out my Garmin and showed him mine was still on the property. I love technology.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-05-2018 07:17 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Jim, to me this is too generalized a statement and the way guys bend and twist rules to save points will/can be in the future used to not take minus points because it said so here. I am sure you did not mean it the way it sounds.
It "MUST" be stated that delete is only an option when in accordance with any statement in Rule 7.As the original question pertained to Highways and such.

Rules state 4(e)strike points minus for calling dogs off trail.
After viewing some of the results to Rule Questions Allen posed it appears that these rules definitely need fuller clarification on what is and is not allowed.
I know for fact this happened in a hunt.
Two dogs were grubbing a track. Third dog not opening.
8 minutes ran a couple times. Judge says lets call time out and try for a better track.The other guy agrees .So there you have your majority and the judge would not minus the two dogs because "Majority" agreed to call time out. The third guy was afraid to question it even knowing it was wrong because the MOH threatened if any questions came back he would scratch the whole cast involved.

This happened to me too in my earlier years .
I was guiding a 4 dog cast. There happened to be a fox denned in this one area we turned out in. Well,3 dogs were struck in.Pretty soon this fox goes to barking at the three opening hounds. Mine was not in with them cause he was broke off foxes.It was pretty obvious the three hounds were trailing this fox. The judge asks a couple times what is that? I chuckled a little and said oh.there is a fox that likes to try and get the dogs after it in here.Boy,did three grown guys start getting the shifty feet.
Finally judge states lets catch these dogs and get out of here.I protested they could not without calling minus.MAJORITY RULES !! Cast agreed . No one took minus points .

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 06-05-2018 at 08:04 PM

Old Post 06-05-2018 07:48 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Y'all realize this is the computer age when y'all can't agree with a rule that is in black and white on here with what you say against it you are assentionally showing this young bunch how to cheat with it thus creating your own problems just sayen lol.

Your right Allen !!!!!!!!

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2018 08:06 PM
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

What u xpect ... In anutter thread we got 2 advisors being referenced...,pick one any one it's all good . .lol😁

Old Post 06-05-2018 08:24 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

When i guide i wiil tell the cast theres a highway 2 miles south, three miles east, and a land owner a mile north that doesn't allow hunting. Situations often come about where interference may need attention but to use interference to win is cheating and that makes old grumpy men stay at home and pleasure hunt.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 06-05-2018 08:47 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote