UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How good is a dead loner?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: SOUTHERN STYLE

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
Ok. Just to bring back my original question, how do you know what kind of track it could run? Being alone, was his "grub any kind of track"... Was nothing more than trouble with a medium track since there was nothing to compare him with.
Could he move a track 1/2 mile in January when the boars were rutting. All I am asking is, how do you know... Without a measuring stick, how do you know?

I don't mean disrespect by this but this isn't an easy question to answer without sounding a little rough. I don't need another dog out there to tell me what kind of track one is running, I can pretty much do that on my own just by the experiences of coonhunting throughout my life. I mean when a man can't tell what his dogs got going on maybe he should regroup.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-21-2018 02:29 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I like a dog that trees it’s own coon regular. Be it 25 yards or 1.7 miles. I desire no reverse.

I also like a dog with intelligence.

A loner will win and a loner will lose.

Some of it is man made to be a loner ( I have been guilty of doing it) some are natural. I like the natural ones.

What really like is a dog that pays no attention to dogs as to his ability to tree a coon. Now, that means if they strike a track together I want my dog to do his best to tree that track no matter how the next dog does it. If they tree together they tree together. And, if another dog beats him on that track I still want him to finish that track and not pack up and leave area because a dog trees.

I want my dog to go hunting and not follow but also if there is a dog tracking fool out there I don’t want him changing zip codes to get away but I want him looking for a coon track.

My opinion, and it is only mine, if my dog is looking for a coon and not worrying about what the others are doing he will be alone the majority of the time. A winner has to tree Coons and pay no attention to a dog that is screwing up because down time cost you cast.

To me it is not a sin for a dog to tree together on the same track. That is not backing a dog too me.

Backing is when my dog has nothing going on and breaks his neck to get to a treed dog. Now that I can’t stand.

You get one that wants to tree coon and is serious about they will be shallow and lonely, deep and lonely, and sometimes on a tree with a dog that they trailed to the tree. That is a winner too me

Old Post 05-21-2018 03:50 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmyers8
UKC Forum Member

High ridges post should pretty much end this debate.. that's a coon dog should do the majority of nights.

Old Post 05-21-2018 05:37 AM
Jmyers8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmyers8 Click here to Send Jmyers8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmyers8 Find more posts by Jmyers8 Add Jmyers8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

OK

. Just to bring back my original question, how do you know what kind of track it could run? Being alone, was his "grub any kind of track"... Was nothing more than trouble with a medium track since there was nothing to compare him with.
Could he move a track 1/2 mile in January when the boars were rutting. All I am asking is, how do you know... Without a measuring stick, how do you know?

How do you know a dog can tree it's own coon if it is never on a tree by it's self? Aggravating to me to have dogs waded up together all night. Independence is all about doing your own thing and not worrying about others. There are different styles of Independence but, it doesn't change the definition. If a dog is getting treed with a coon before ole Trackmaster stash can get treed would you consider it a better dog.

Old Post 05-21-2018 06:49 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

OK

Just to bring back my original question, how do you know what kind of track it could run? Being alone, was his "grub any kind of track"... Was nothing more than trouble with a medium track since there was nothing to compare him with.

How do you know a dog can tree it's own coon if it is never on a tree by it's self? Aggravating to me to have dogs waded up together all night. Independence is all about doing your own thing and not worrying about others. There are different styles of Independence but, it doesn't change the definition. If a dog is getting treed with a coon before ole Trackmaster stash can get treed would you consider it a better dog.

Old Post 05-21-2018 06:51 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I promise you if I am turning it loose in a hunt you can bet your life’s savings it will tree it’s own coon.

If they are a coondog they will show it before the night is up somewhere.

The homework is done through the week and as long as you don’t lie to yourself and live in rainbow land of excuses you know what you are turning loose.

I don’t care what the other guy turns loose nor do I worry about it. I hunt one to perform the way I want it too.

It’s not rocket science to know what your dog can or can’t do during the week. Then when you learn pro and con. If pro outweighs con start tweeking the dog to perform in areas of the pro. Your winning will increase

Problem is most can’t be honest with themselves on what they got and had rather have an excuse than roll shirt sleeves up and go to work

Last edited by high ridge on 05-21-2018 at 09:26 PM

Old Post 05-21-2018 09:18 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

The independent dead loner is easier to call if they stay in pocket.

But, when I enter a hunt I don’t go coonhunting I go competing

So, if the dog splits great, if he packs ok. I want the dog doing any and everything it can or has to to stay in contention for the CW other than be aggressive.

It’s just like a ballgame. It’s flashier to win shooting the 3, but I will take a foul shot for the victory.

What I really like is when you get on a winning roll and you hear how mean your dog is, how big a cheat you are, how you got the better places to hunt, how your dog is a packing fool, etc.

Very few times do you draw a cast where guys say I just got beat by a better dog tonight.

That saying on Facebook, A mans ego is a heavy burden for his hound to carry, is true.

I get a bigger chuckle out of that than anything.

Last edited by high ridge on 05-21-2018 at 09:58 PM

Old Post 05-21-2018 09:35 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

And, to answer question in last sentence.

If my dog is consistently getting treed with a coon before Trackmaster I would consider him better

Old Post 05-21-2018 10:00 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Best way is to avg your dogs speed on tracks. You'll know by how fast its moving or bow slow its moving whether or not the track is hot or cold. If your dog only averages 3 mph on any given night, your dog needs another gear. If your dog avg 10 mph + then you've got above avg track speed.

Or you could just cast a complete me-too'er after yours gets struck to compare. But I trust the first version more than this one.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 05-22-2018 12:16 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

It seems that today's dogs are not bred and trained to compete against each other. They compete against a clock. If your dog doesn't compete for tracking and treeing on the same track , he can't get beat on that track. He just goes over yonder and trees his own coon and everything is a recut and often comes down to who get the first strike of the night (in comes the babbler) . It's just a different world of comp hunts today.

Old Post 05-22-2018 11:55 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hey I got beat on 2 separate coons last night by a 13 month old pup !! Just so happens he is out of one of my females. Tracking was horrible he got one in front and one behind I told Bruce he was going to be special. My buddy is on cloud nine my female ain't no easy win either. They are either born with it or they are average no in between jmo.

Tar

Old Post 05-22-2018 12:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Best way is to avg your dogs speed on tracks. You'll know by how fast its moving or bow slow its moving whether or not the track is hot or cold. If your dog only averages 3 mph on any given night, your dog needs another gear. If your dog avg 10 mph + then you've got above avg track speed.

Or you could just cast a complete me-too'er after yours gets struck to compare. But I trust the first version more than this one.

Unless the dog is struck and running all the time that wouldn't even be close to accurate. Remember that's a average of the whole time the collar is on. If the dog spends much time at all treed or just hunting its completely off. No real useful information in the Garmin's speed count.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-22-2018 02:36 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Unless the dog is struck and running all the time that wouldn't even be close to accurate. Remember that's a average of the whole time the collar is on. If the dog spends much time at all treed or just hunting its completely off. No real useful information in the Garmin's speed count.

nope you're wrong. You can pause it. But I don't. And I still want mine to avg 7+ all night. But I don't usually have to walk a mile to a tree. But I have and it didn't really drop the avg much.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-22-2018 03:36 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
nope you're wrong. You can pause it. But I don't. And I still want mine to avg 7+ all night. But I don't usually have to walk a mile to a tree. But I have and it didn't really drop the avg much.

I can be pretty hard headed but I'm afraid you will have to explain how I'm wrong. It averages a speed and its the average of the speed from the time its tuned on. Obviously if someone paused it that would affect it but who does that? If they spend 10 min hunting and running and 20 min treed that will greatly affect the average speed the dog is moving. So unless you are pausing it. The info is not useful.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-22-2018 04:17 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Ok so I am wrong! It stops averaging speed when the state of the dog switchs to treed, but it is still off pretty bad. I just started mine and reset it as soon as I pulled out of the drive way. I sped up to 30 mph and set the cruse control. I drove for 3.2 miles with the update set at 2.5 sec. I never broke 30mph and the Garmin averaged my speed at 39mph. I suspect it has something to do with the fact it has to refresh.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-22-2018 04:57 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Ok so I am wrong! It stops averaging speed when the state of the dog switchs to treed, but it is still off pretty bad. I just started mine and reset it as soon as I pulled out of the drive way. I sped up to 30 mph and set the cruse control. I drove for 3.2 miles with the update set at 2.5 sec. I never broke 30mph and the Garmin averaged my speed at 39mph. I suspect it has something to do with the fact it has to refresh.

the fact is it really doesn't matter to me if you believe me on a dogs avg speed or not. You feed yours I'll feed mine. I know exactly what I'm feeding. And both of mine are above the avg dogs. Mine see roughly 3 hunts during winter and a few over summer. The only thing holding my dogs back is me from the winners circle. I hunt a few dogs during winter for a friend when I'm laid off. He had last falls sophomore 3rd place dog, and owned the spring sophomore champ. Both I put a bunch of hunting on. Both of those females avg 8-12 depending on how much they were hunted.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-22-2018 05:33 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
the fact is it really doesn't matter to me if you believe me on a dogs avg speed or not. You feed yours I'll feed mine. I know exactly what I'm feeding. And both of mine are above the avg dogs. Mine see roughly 3 hunts during winter and a few over summer. The only thing holding my dogs back is me from the winners circle. I hunt a few dogs during winter for a friend when I'm laid off. He had last falls sophomore 3rd place dog, and owned the spring sophomore champ. Both I put a bunch of hunting on. Both of those females avg 8-12 depending on how much they were hunted.

Must hunt um with a football helmet on in case they zigged when they should have zagged 😜

Old Post 05-22-2018 06:36 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd_Miller
UKC Forum Member

They been tought to ambush hot coon, they usually have the coon too.

Old Post 05-22-2018 07:40 PM
Todd_Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd_Miller Click here to Send Todd_Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd_Miller Find more posts by Todd_Miller Add Todd_Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

There's everything you mentioned, and swamps, mountains, and porcupines, coyotes, fishers, plenty of off game if you can stomach that type too. There's a bunch of things that can slow one down, but the good ones don't seem to slow down for much.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-22-2018 07:43 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:

No Eric I believe your dogs move around like that I just don't trust the Garmin to tell us how fast they are doing it. Mine are not quite clocking what yours are but they are dang close. I just did the same experiment again with a different result because I changed the update rate. The original question was about track speed. In my experience unless they are running junk, most coons do not go far enough to judge much on track speed.

I tell you what I use to judge them more than anything with those features of the Garmin. How far they traveled and how many coons I looked at in a night. I have seen nights that 2 dogs split 3 times and each had a coon every time. One dog travels 10 miles in the night and the other travels 6. That's being hunted the same amount of time. I would rather have the one that covered less ground to get the same amount of work done.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-22-2018 07:56 PM
Coonhunter2017
UKC Forum Member

Re: SOUTHERN STYLE

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer
I owned Southern Style for awhile and I can guarantee you he was a loaner and I also can guarantee you that he could run, pop, lay, track, or grub any kind of coon up. Just saying this to argue the fact that all loaners just hunt straight and pop coons is BS.

If he’s off trackman I own him now! Best dog I’ve ever had.. old and wore out but all coondog.

Old Post 05-25-2018 04:32 AM
Coonhunter2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coonhunter2017 Click here to Send Coonhunter2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coonhunter2017 Find more posts by Coonhunter2017 Add Coonhunter2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coonhunter2017
UKC Forum Member

Re: SOUTHERN STYLE

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer
I owned Southern Style for awhile and I can guarantee you he was a loaner and I also can guarantee you that he could run, pop, lay, track, or grub any kind of coon up. Just saying this to argue the fact that all loaners just hunt straight and pop coons is BS.

If he’s off trackman I own him now! Best dog I’ve ever had.. old and wore out but all coondog.

Old Post 05-25-2018 04:33 AM
Coonhunter2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coonhunter2017 Click here to Send Coonhunter2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coonhunter2017 Find more posts by Coonhunter2017 Add Coonhunter2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

"How good is a dead loner?" Dead loners are judged by how much money they have won. If they have won $10,000, then they are pretty good. They weren't meant to be pleasure hounds. They are designed and bred to win money.

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:40 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote