UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thanks Wild Willy
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Many things become easy once we have been shown on how to do it...but up until then sometimes we haven’t a clue...😳🤔

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:22 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Many things become easy once we have been shown on how to do it...but up until then sometimes we haven’t a clue...😳🤔

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:22 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Reuben I have seen people all my life like mr willie not just with dogs but all animals what he has he didn't get reading a book it's a gift given at birth and the animals recognize a person has it instantly do we agree.

Tar

Old Post 05-25-2018 01:40 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

10-4 on what you said Tar...

Just like having the feel on pups and dogs...some people have it and many don’t...most of us call it having an eye for a dog...

Back in my younger days I hunted with 4 or 5 guys who liked to hunt off of horseback...sometimes I would be the only one on a 4 wheeler...one of those guys had a horse that after about an hour of riding would balk on would not go forward...it would spin and spin but did not want to go forward so he would make the horse back up...he constantly fought the horse...the leader of the cowboys had one fine looking horse that was well trained and always did what was asked of him...times go by and the guy with the good horse dies in a vehicle collision and the horse was given to his friend with the horse that was so troublesome to ride...by the second hunt that well trained horse was doing exactly the same as the first horse that was acting up...the only difference was that this horse was a fine looking horse...

The same with dogs...we can do the little things right and we have a well trained dog...or we can do the little things wrong and we are wondering why the dog isn’t minding or hunting the way we like...

Old Post 05-25-2018 02:32 AM
G.W.Harring
UKC Forum Member

Willy

I am just shy of 54yrs old and a 5th generation coon hunter and I will never be too old to learn. I don't claim to be a trainer and quite honestly just enjoy coon hunting, hounds and the outdoors. I do however believe in trying to think out of the box. I have known Willy for several years now and he has helped me to understand several issues that I have come across. Like some have suggested Willy is very gifted and has a passion for what he does.
I appreciate his freindship and all of the help he has given me since we have met. Thanks Willy!

Greg & Marcia Harring
Syracuse, Nebraska 68446
(402) 209-5053

Old Post 05-25-2018 04:25 AM
G.W.Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W.Harring Click here to Send G.W.Harring a Private Message Click Here to Email G.W.Harring Find more posts by G.W.Harring Add G.W.Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
10-4 on what you said Tar...

Just like having the feel on pups and dogs...some people have it and many don’t...most of us call it having an eye for a dog...

Back in my younger days I hunted with 4 or 5 guys who liked to hunt off of horseback...sometimes I would be the only one on a 4 wheeler...one of those guys had a horse that after about an hour of riding would balk on would not go forward...it would spin and spin but did not want to go forward so he would make the horse back up...he constantly fought the horse...the leader of the cowboys had one fine looking horse that was well trained and always did what was asked of him...times go by and the guy with the good horse dies in a vehicle collision and the horse was given to his friend with the horse that was so troublesome to ride...by the second hunt that well trained horse was doing exactly the same as the first horse that was acting up...the only difference was that this horse was a fine looking horse...

The same with dogs...we can do the little things right and we have a well trained dog...or we can do the little things wrong and we are wondering why the dog isn’t minding or hunting the way we like...

There is saying " Sometimes all it takes is a change of address for a dog to get better"

I was talking to a guy at work one time and he was hinting around about something. I asked him if he knew something that I didn't. He smiled at me and said. I'm sure I know a lot of thing that you don't. I've learned over the years that no one is a expert in anything and we would do well to learn from others.

I can pick a dogs performance to death and I'm pretty fast to pick up on what a dog is doing, but I'm not the best at figuring out how to fix the problem. I'm glad that there are a few that do and are willing to share with the rest.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-25-2018 04:47 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W.Harring
UKC Forum Member

Willy

Joey, I totally agree with you and I would also suggest that a location change could also make a dog look or act worse. I have seen that first hand.

Smart dogs are like smart kids, they can make you look like the worlds best teacher. The flip side is, that intelligence also gives them the ability to make you look totally incompetent at times too. lol
Some dogs that I felt weren't very smart were smarter than I gave them credit for. The lack of intelligence was actually on me as I wasn't picking up on the minute details of what they were trying to communicate. This is where Willy came in.

Willy has helped me understand the details of postures and gestures of dogs and to actually pay attention to each and every one of them with the purpose of understanding them and acting on them when need be. If you really pay attention, and know when and what you're looking for (Willy's forte) it can make training a whole new experience. Some may be light years ahead of myself and others on all of this, and to those I envy your talents, but I feel if I can learn even the smallest thing it was all worth my effort.

I too appreciate all of those with the patience to help me widen my knowledge base in any form when it comes to hounds.

Lord knows I need it!!

Greg & Marcia Harring
Syracuse, Nebraska 68446
(402) 209-5053

Old Post 05-25-2018 06:54 PM
G.W.Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W.Harring Click here to Send G.W.Harring a Private Message Click Here to Email G.W.Harring Find more posts by G.W.Harring Add G.W.Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Thank You !!

dbender please continue to post !!! As you said I chose to place tips on a public forum. I would like you to know even some of my coonhound peers look down upon me for sharing my tips publicly. Most simply want them to stay secret. For I have a monopoly if I wish.
However I need information !! And dbender I embrace your Critiques !!! Real Fead Back from Real Houndsman across the USA is the only way to complete my works !!! you can always PM me if its to harsh.

I appoligize that my tips rubed you the wrong way. My intent is to inspire Houndsmen to Expect More from there Hound By Delivering Mind Blowing Simple to Achieve RESULTS !!!
I knew long ago I would need to be able to prove my claims in black and white with common knowledge words or by my actions, {yadkintar yes as long as I can remember I have been able to talk with all of them (prove it to the fam. every time we go to the zoo) and then it took me a long time to understand it,,,,,, Now a longer time to find the words to write it.}

Let me Try;
All Dogs are born as Prey animals with predatory instincts and without human involvement would revert to hunting for food.
A mear strike on a track thus induces Hunger witch in turn induces Aggression ! Coon are killed to 98% or more of all hounds. And we know all Predators Kill to eat. Just because our hound give up their Kill to their owner Does not mean he still doesn't want to eat it.
Even if a excellent hunting dog doesn't like the taste of the game or to Kill. He or She is still pulling from these core traits to accomplish the capture of harvested game.. making Food and Game one and the same.

There are many different causes of Tree Aggression But over 95% of the hundreds of cases I have seen stemmed from Food Aggression !!!
the second reason is simple Monkey see Monkey do, as our hounds are more intelligent than I ever believed, They learn very fast to Blow and Fight Back if not properly prevented by a couple simple Tree Pressure session I preform on all my young Hounds .

But am I full of it or am I credible? True Credibility is only Proven By RESULTS Period. All over the US people are using my methods. Breaking tree jacking, chewing, slick treeing, Off game Breaking, Obedience, Tree Aggression, Loading, Stay Put Basics, Accuracy, Razors edge Accuracy, Competition Stay Put, Once in a lifetime Puppy Starting !!! And so much More !!! !!!
And They ALL receive Results. If my core knowledge was off the mark I would Never achieve a single result.

Reuben Im impressed !! we must train together one day !!! we could learn so much !!!

Bruce we train so alike it scares me !!!
Greg thank you for letting me train some of the most Intelligent Hounds on the face of the Earth !!! I take your breeding advice to my bank !!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Last edited by wildwilly0161 on 06-25-2018 at 04:18 AM

Old Post 06-22-2018 09:54 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I personally have heard about Wild Willy for years. I never talked to him till a few months ago. After talking to Willie and discussing dogs it opened my eyes to just how many people he has helped. Actually it is the dogs Willy helps as he has a true passion to see that dogs that may be treated harsh or culled by thier owners actuslly get the right training to correct their problems. Willie sees beyond what many of us see and that allows him get results many cant get. Willie has helped a tremendous number of dogs with different issues. The thing is his customers/friends have a tremendous respect for him and his methods. They dont go around blowing and bragging on the training Wille gave their dog or the problem Willie solved with their hound.
How I know this is simple. I talk to a lot of people daily about Hounds and Hunting Equipment. I like to know my customers/friends and we discuss dogs and I try to learn myself while also trying to help. Since talking to Willie and discussing some of his thoughts on training. I realized a few of his methods or phrases I have heard others mention. They never mentioned Willie but a few catch words that associated them with his training methods that I learned from talking to him. Now when I hear someone use a phrase or buzzword that Willie uses. I ask them if they know Willie. I am amazed at the number of people he has helped that respect what he has done for their dog. They are loyal and grateful to Wille and dont take what he has done for their dog and run to a message board or facebook trying to own what he did for them. I have done this for 50 years and I have many of the basics down. Willie goes so far beyond the basics treating each dog as an individual it is amazing. Willie is a truly gifted person with a love for coon hounds. This message board over the years has allowed me to meet and get to know many smart, intelligent and knowledgesble coon hunters. Willie is one of those.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-23-2018 at 02:02 AM

Old Post 06-23-2018 01:57 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Coondog Motivation

Most coon hunters view the actions of their dogs as being the result of a single factor when in fact the similar action like treeing maybe caused by different fa tors for different dogs. It has always been my opinion that breeding failures are often the result of mating two dogs that display the same action, but the action is motivated by completely unrelated stimulation factors. What is your opinion Willy?

Old Post 06-23-2018 04:21 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

A compliment from you means something, I don't know Willy, but I believe he knows dogs and gives a lot of helpful advise. Dave

Old Post 06-24-2018 01:20 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Thank You !!

Thank you Bruce it means allot to me !!

quote; Most coon hunters view the actions of their dogs as being the result of a single factor when in fact the similar action like treeing maybe caused by different fa tors for different dogs. It has always been my opinion that breeding failures are often the result of mating two dogs that display the same action, but the action is motivated by completely unrelated stimulation factors. What is your opinion Willy?

Exactly !!!! This ? reaches the Core !!! How do we Know ? Dogs are born to adapt quickly Through Socialization so the may function in their enviroment. So Many time Faults are Not Genetic rather learned Quickly.

expl. Lets say there where 4 pups in a litter and at a year old they could all tree their own coon.
However only one pup is Stay put and the other 3 leave nearly every tree every time. Bad cross right ?

Should this cross be made again??

But wait a second what if all is not what it seems? Pup A,, she leaves right away upon a snap of a twig!!!! but only because one night a pack of coyotes ran her out and now twigs snapping under our feet continue to trigger this?
Pup B He was Big and Bold but he got Beat up and knocked around on his first few Tree encounters and learned Quick Never Stick Around !!
Now Pup C She is a Smart little thing, you know the kind that's to smart for their own good! Her owner doesn't believe it petting or praising on the Tree BUT Boy oh Boy She has gotten a Scolding with a leash a dozen times or so. Now She has Learned to keep an Eye out for an Incoming Light so She can run and tuck Tail !!!
Pup D Yep the ugliest laziest one ,,,, The last of all the pups to make a Tree and sorry it was......... But on that Tree His owner did something Different than the Norm , He forgot the leash so he Never put it On,,, rather he Hooted and Hollered with Praise to keep Little Lazy's Nails up ON !!! His owner was so happy he Stayed he even petted him and did so from then on,,, NOW he always Stays Treed Hard and he started to Win Young !!!

Is their Enough Treeing ability to make this cross again?

Are the 3 week Tree dogs genetically week or Socially developed week?
In a perfect scenario we can know all of this information about all 4 dogs. However in the real world no matter how much we try we know very little of what goes on after we've snaped the leash.

Now lets look at Parentage. Both Sire and Dam where Top proven Stay Put Coon Hounds. Especially the Dam !! Yet 3 pups will not hold tree. We now know roughly every living thing has 200 to 2000 times more Mitochondrial than Paternal DNA meaning we each carry more of our mothers DNA yet 3 pups will not hold Tree???

Even with all the above information not one of us can tell if it was genetic or not in each of the 3 pups. And more it can be nearly impossible to tell in real timber.

HOWEVER In Breaking these Faults we Can !!!

Only in breaking a fault can we look into the genetics of it Clearly!
And in Breaking it we can clearly see the degree of the fault.
I call it a tiered system. Where as I break the Individual Hound in tiered stagest eg. If it only takes Stage 1 Stay Put Basics to rehabilitate the coon hound to Be a Say Put Tree Dog, Then that Hound is Not genetically week on Tree. However the more tiered stages we go up to achieve rehabilitation the greater the genetic fault shows itself !!!
I use this system to measure genetics in each individual hound then simply apply it to breeding them. I believe this system blended with years of breeding knowledge will some day embellish our breeding practices.

Back to Pup A !! In just 3 times we taught her coyotes rarely come in and that we Have Her Back If and When No More Will She Leave!!!

Pup B always did look so Good but very raley could you see him on wood, His time had almost come,,,,, his owner was almost DONE! But Then a Single Session of Tree Pressure Began !! STAND BACK Pup B IS Big and BOLD Again, No more Trees will he leave because he has been socialized properly.

Pup C Thought she was going to be nice,, closing 3 yrs old and a 3rd person owns her now. This just may be her last go around. Well we watched her under a tree one day in the yard and boy did she tree Hard but then when the leash was applied she choked down and started running around . This little Gype was so smart she was only leaving because she didn't want leashed...So I taught him to teach her not to be afraid by first putting the leash away,,, and Now She'll Stay even if a heard of Cattle came her way.

Oh Ya Pup D from his first to his last He's always held True, for his First encounter,,, impressioned him to.

if a leash ALWAYS holds them Treed There,, How can we expect them to always stay treed there,,, without it? So how do we Get the Opportunity to Teach them to Stay!!! "Put The leash away"

These Hounds where all one tier fixes and simply to smart for their own good so to say or in need of simple socialization.
But breaking them from leaving trees allowed me to look into the degree of the fault and if it is genetic or not. In this case it was not and future crosses proved stay Put.

With this method we can truly see what stimula has caused what,, in each individual dog thus allowing us to make a clearer decision in breeding. While at the same time Greatly improving the Quality of Life of the hound being test/trained. Then we can also apply this information to selecting a mate with contributing traits.

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Last edited by wildwilly0161 on 06-25-2018 at 04:40 AM

Old Post 06-25-2018 03:05 AM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

The biggest problem is 95% of pups never get a chance to make what there genetics have instilled in them and the other 5% most are owned by impatient owners that want results now and do not want to put in the work !! None of this dog training stuff is real difficult but it also for the most part isn't quick either !, willy send me a text when you get a chance as I would like to speak with you, 571-233-5819 thanks Joe zinn

Old Post 06-25-2018 10:11 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

One Opening

I am going to book one more Tree Aggressive Hound to rehabilitate and save. I will be taking notes on the entire process to finalize my book "WildWilly's Way to Complete Aggression Control". Look under the message board "Other" for info on a free genetic screening.

Pm for DVD Video !!

Last edited by wildwilly0161 on 07-03-2018 at 12:18 AM

Old Post 07-03-2018 12:14 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thank You !!

quote:
Originally posted by wildwilly0161
[B

Exactly !!!! This ? reaches the Core !!! How do we Know ? Dogs are born to adapt quickly Through Socialization so the may function in their enviroment. So Many time Faults are Not Genetic rather learned Quickly.

expl. Lets say there where 4 pups in a litter and at a year old they could all tree their own coon.
However only one pup is Stay put and the other 3 leave nearly every tree every time. Bad cross right ?

Should this cross be made again??

But wait a second what if all is not what it seems? Pup A,, she leaves right away upon a snap of a twig!!!! but only because one night a pack of coyotes ran her out and now twigs snapping under our feet continue to trigger this?
Pup B He was Big and Bold but he got Beat up and knocked around on his first few Tree encounters and learned Quick Never Stick Around !!
Now Pup C She is a Smart little thing, you know the kind that's to smart for their own good! Her owner doesn't believe it petting or praising on the Tree BUT Boy oh Boy She has gotten a Scolding with a leash a dozen times or so. Now She has Learned to keep an Eye out for an Incoming Light so She can run and tuck Tail !!!
Pup D Yep the ugliest laziest one ,,,, The last of all the pups to make a Tree and sorry it was......... But on that Tree His owner did something Different than the Norm , He forgot the leash so he Never put it On,,, rather he Hooted and Hollered with Praise to keep Little Lazy's Nails up ON !!! His owner was so happy he Stayed he even petted him and did so from then on,,, NOW he always Stays Treed Hard and he started to Win Young !!!

Is their Enough Treeing ability to make this cross again?

Are the 3 week Tree dogs genetically week or Socially developed week?
In a perfect scenario we can know all of this information about all 4 dogs. However in the real world no matter how much we try we know very little of what goes on after we've snaped the leash.

Now lets look at Parentage. Both Sire and Dam where Top proven Stay Put Coon Hounds. Especially the Dam !! Yet 3 pups will not hold tree. We now know roughly every living thing has 200 to 2000 times more Mitochondrial than Paternal DNA meaning we each carry more of our mothers DNA yet 3 pups will not hold Tree???

Even with all the above information not one of us can tell if it was genetic or not in each of the 3 pups. And more it can be nearly impossible to tell in real timber.

HOWEVER In Breaking these Faults we Can !!!

Only in breaking a fault can we look into the genetics of it Clearly!
And in Breaking it we can clearly see the degree of the fault.
I call it a tiered system. Where as I break the Individual Hound in tiered stagest eg. If it only takes Stage 1 Stay Put Basics to rehabilitate the coon hound to Be a Say Put Tree Dog, Then that Hound is Not genetically week on Tree. However the more tiered stages we go up to achieve rehabilitation the greater the genetic fault shows itself !!!
I use this system to measure genetics in each individual hound then simply apply it to breeding them. I believe this system blended with years of breeding knowledge will some day embellish our breeding practices.

Back to Pup A !! In just 3 times we taught her coyotes rarely come in and that we Have Her Back If and When No More Will She Leave!!!

Pup B always did look so Good but very raley could you see him on wood, His time had almost come,,,,, his owner was almost DONE! But Then a Single Session of Tree Pressure Began !! STAND BACK Pup B IS Big and BOLD Again, No more Trees will he leave because he has been socialized properly.

Pup C Thought she was going to be nice,, closing 3 yrs old and a 3rd person owns her now. This just may be her last go around. Well we watched her under a tree one day in the yard and boy did she tree Hard but then when the leash was applied she choked down and started running around . This little Gype was so smart she was only leaving because she didn't want leashed...So I taught him to teach her not to be afraid by first putting the leash away,,, and Now She'll Stay even if a heard of Cattle came her way.

Oh Ya Pup D from his first to his last He's always held True, for his First encounter,,, impressioned him to.

if a leash ALWAYS holds them Treed There,, How can we expect them to always stay treed there,,, without it? So how do we Get the Opportunity to Teach them to Stay!!! "Put The leash away"

These Hounds where all one tier fixes and simply to smart for their own good so to say or in need of simple socialization.
But breaking them from leaving trees allowed me to look into the degree of the fault and if it is genetic or not. In this case it was not and future crosses proved stay Put.

With this method we can truly see what stimula has caused what,, in each individual dog thus allowing us to make a clearer decision in breeding. While at the same time Greatly improving the Quality of Life of the hound being test/trained. Then we can also apply this information to selecting a mate with contributing traits. [/B]

Wild Willy0161...those are some awesome examples...

I like raising my own pups for the very critical examples you mentioned...

I say critical because any one of those examples you gave can be a major setback...

I wish I knew what you know but I know enough to make the right moves at the right times most of the time...socializing the pup this that way gives the pup the chance to be all it can be...

at the same time I watch critically at first impressions...I want to be sure that the pups I choose for myself are natural bay dogs and natural to range out the first time I take them to the woods etc...etc...if I take the pups many times to the bay pen and they don't bay as I like I will give them the chance but there is a learning curve for all pups and they can be different for different breeds and/or strains...so common sense goes a long ways when making these decisions...when starting out with a breeding program we select to improve the line of dogs as needed...once that is established then it is time to up the game...we now call it purifying the bloodline...this comes through selecting for natural ability...at the beginning there are compromises...once we are in it 3 or 4 generations then the selection process shouldn't be very forgiving ...this is if the pup was raised correctly...

call the pup to you and stick a needle in it's muscle...call the pup to shove a pill down it's throat...it won't be long and the pup figures out real quick not to come when called...then we call it in to load him up to go hunting and the pup runs away and then we get angry and the pup sees the anger very clearly and now it is looking for a hiding place...just a snow ball effect that is going south very quickly...instead I call the pups to pet them up or give them a treat...if I can mix the pill in a treat or dog food I will...with experience we can give the pup a pill without issues if we choose to do it that way...I am always reading the pup to make sure I am making the right choices...timing is critical as well...

Old Post 07-03-2018 03:01 AM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Aggressive Dogs

I'm looking forward to reading your book on aggression and how you address the motivators that trigger the different types of it. One of the questions that hunters often ask is; why will a dog that can't kill a 15 lb coon in a week kill another dog? Dogs that are the most aggressive on other dogs are often gutless wonders on game. Why would you ever want to use dogs that are naturally aggressive toward other dogs in a breeding program? You know that you are going to have to train this fault out of each future generation! Call me lazy, but why would one want to have make more work for all future generations of dog owners? My opinion is that these type should be eliminated from the breeding gene pool and not rehabilitated and allowed to reproduce. Thanks for your knowledge.

Old Post 07-05-2018 06:10 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Aggressive Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I'm looking forward to reading your book on aggression and how you address the motivators that trigger the different types of it. One of the questions that hunters often ask is; why will a dog that can't kill a 15 lb coon in a week kill another dog? Dogs that are the most aggressive on other dogs are often gutless wonders on game. Why would you ever want to use dogs that are naturally aggressive toward other dogs in a breeding program? You know that you are going to have to train this fault out of each future generation! Call me lazy, but why would one want to have make more work for all future generations of dog owners? My opinion is that these type should be eliminated from the breeding gene pool and not rehabilitated and allowed to reproduce. Thanks for your knowledge.

Kler kry...I once had an Airedale that was very brave in the back yard but outside of those boundaries he was a coward...

I have had several pups that always backed away from their aggressive siblings but in the woods they were the fiercest on dangerous game so I know what you are saying in those regards...

I believe wild Willy is talking about man made aggression and aggression caused by another dog...so the question I have is how do we know the difference...Willy is saying we will know using his methods...

Old Post 07-05-2018 08:00 PM
LNeal
UKC Forum Member

The only way to break a mean tree dog is you have to cut their tail off.works every time.

Old Post 07-07-2018 02:35 AM
LNeal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LNeal Click here to Send LNeal a Private Message Find more posts by LNeal Add LNeal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Right behind their ears?

Old Post 07-07-2018 04:10 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote