UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ivomec
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd Latta
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by hat creek mac
I'm guessing 1/10 ml per 10 pounds would work?

given once a month?

Yes just like the Ivomec.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2018 12:35 AM
Todd Latta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Latta Click here to Send Todd Latta a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Latta Find more posts by Todd Latta Add Todd Latta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glenmarlow
UKC Forum Member

Bump

Old Post 04-21-2018 11:01 AM
Glenmarlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenmarlow Click here to Send Glenmarlow a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenmarlow Find more posts by Glenmarlow Add Glenmarlow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glenmarlow
UKC Forum Member

Bump

Old Post 04-21-2018 11:01 AM
Glenmarlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenmarlow Click here to Send Glenmarlow a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenmarlow Find more posts by Glenmarlow Add Glenmarlow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I would like to hear Dr. Hallada's thoughts on Cydectin.

Old Post 04-21-2018 06:22 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I always felt like.1 cc per 10 pounds was pretty diluted and I have given it a different way for 30 plus years...I give about .25 mils once every 2.5 to 3 months...my theory is the high dose will kill all microfilaria and continue to kill any new exposures and as concentration fades away no problem...it takes 6 months for microfilaria to mature to heartworms...they will get hammered in 3 months...the tough guy feel calculation in my head tells me the microfilaria can not be more than 2 months old at best but more than likely way younger if at all...no science in this thinking just theoretical gut feel...but it is working for me...

I have always felt that the .1 mils per 10 pounds could be ragged edge and missing a few days or off a little on weight could lead to heartworms and much worse...what you guys are saying...building an immunity to ivermectin...

Old Post 04-22-2018 11:01 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I always felt like.1 cc per 10 pounds was pretty diluted and I have given it a different way for 30 plus years...I give about .25 mils once every 2.5 to 3 months...my theory is the high dose will kill all microfilaria and continue to kill any new exposures and as concentration fades away no problem...it takes 6 months for microfilaria to mature to heartworms...they will get hammered in 3 months...the gut feel calculation in my head tells me the microfilaria can not be more than 2 months old at best but more than likely way younger if at all...no science in this thinking just theoretical gut feel...but it is working for me...

I have always felt that the .1 mils per 10 pounds could be ragged edge amount and this can have the potential for error which could lead to a dog getting infected with heartworms...and missing a few days or off a little on weight to ivomec ratios could lead to heartworms and much worse...what you guys are saying...building an immunity to ivermectin...

Last edited by Reuben on 04-22-2018 at 11:10 AM

Old Post 04-22-2018 11:01 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Reuben, it is my understanding that they develop into hart worms in 60 days. It take 6 months before the adult hart worms have produced enough to be detected, but the infection is already there. Also the hart worm preventive does not kill the microfila until it is molting into the next stage. If you hit it in between those times it is not effective. The way that you and many others. Including me have done it in the past is what help cause the problem with the resistance. By slowly feeding them the ivemoc when they were not in a stage where they could be killed by it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-22-2018 02:40 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Joey...I have been playing with Fire and didn’t know it...

Old Post 04-22-2018 03:40 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Thank you Joey...I have been playing with Fire and didn’t know it...

I let one get it by completely misunderstanding how it worked. I also had one get it that never missed a dose but I was using Ivemec just like I had for years.

Home Of:

Old Post 04-22-2018 10:26 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Mac you do what you want but like I said before, it is a proven fact it has stopped working. It had worked for us for over 30 years. Then me and my partner had 3 pop positive with hartworms. They have become resistant to it all over the Mississippi river valley. It will just be a matter of time before you have a problem.
gave both my dogs ivermec for years . got one now positive . go back to the vet tomorrow for treatment plan . dog has no cough and plenty of energy .i have been reading about the soft kill method with doxy. and advantage multi . the research looks promising with 95% dogs heart worm free in 10 months . i have put bodie in a cage type kennel to see how he might respond to being confined with the fast kill method and dont think it would be a good option for him unless the slow kill dont reap the desired results .

Last edited by thomasg on 05-30-2018 at 02:14 PM

Old Post 05-30-2018 01:38 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
gave both my dogs ivermec for years . got one now positive . go back to the vet tomorrow for treatment plan . dog has no cough and plenty of energy .i have been reading about the soft kill method with doxy. and advantage multi . the research looks promising with 95% dogs heart worm free in 10 months . i have put bodie in a cage type kennel to see how he might respond to being confined with the fast kill method and dont think it would be a good option for him unless the slow kill dont reap the desired results .

You will not need to kennel him. Just do not hunt him, with no signs or symptoms It will not be problem. They just do not want to get their hart rate up. I'm not a fan of the slow kill method, everyday they are in there they are doing more damage.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-30-2018 02:35 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by joey
You will not need to kennel him. Just do not hunt him, with no signs or symptoms It will not be problem. They just do not want to get their hart rate up. I'm not a fan of the slow kill method, everyday they are in there they are doing more damage.

Wouldn't you have to factor in the harshness of the normal treatment for heartworms vs the less stressful method of the slow kill to evaluate which method was harsher?

I mixed 1 cc of Ivomec with 9 cc's of Polyglycol and gave a 80 pound dog that had tested positive for heatworms 8/10th of a cc of that mixture every 2 weeks for 9 months, had him checked again and he was negative. I think a lot of the decision on which way to treat a dog depends on how advanced and infected they are.

Old Post 05-30-2018 04:16 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
Wouldn't you have to factor in the harshness of the normal treatment for heartworms vs the less stressful method of the slow kill to evaluate which method was harsher?

I mixed 1 cc of Ivomec with 9 cc's of Polyglycol and gave a 80 pound dog that had tested positive for hart worms 8/10th of a cc of that mixture every 2 weeks for 9 months, had him checked again and he was negative. I think a lot of the decision on which way to treat a dog depends on how advanced and infected they are.

Unless the dog is ate up with them the fast kill is not harsh on them. I had one treated last year and never seen any effects at all. If they are full of them then the fast kill could be harsh but that also means the worms are putting more holes in their hart while you are waiting for them to slowly die. I'm not comfortable with this. I just took a buddies dog for him to have it treated last week. He was bad enough he had a pretty consistent cough. Took him home and stuck him back in his kennel. He is doing fine. The slow kill method is also part of the reason the hart worm is becoming immune to Ivomec.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-30-2018 06:34 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

interesting info. on heart worms . ( journal of parasites and vectors . molly savadelis ) (dog aware articles heart worm treatments in dogs )

Last edited by thomasg on 05-31-2018 at 01:46 AM

Old Post 05-31-2018 01:35 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
interesting info. on heart worms . ( journal of parasites and vectors . molly savadelis ) (dog aware articles heart worm treatments in dogs )

I read it, it pretty much said what I did. Other than it said the slow kill prolongs the possibility of death. They say to confine the dog, they would call our kennels confining the dog.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-31-2018 03:22 AM