UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Top 10 best hounds.
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Not taking anything away from all the dogs mentioned, but I will add one.

quote:
Originally posted by georgef072007
Awesome, the name pretty much sums him up.

I only hunted with him once. It was a ruff night in South Ga weather wise. About 22 degrees when I got back to hotel. He made a den and had a coon on outside after hunt was over. Did a good job. There's not many born as consistent as he was at winning cast. To win what he did almost being silent was impressive. I did not get to hunt with him enuff to see consistency but I know he was. I think he might hold record for amount of lifetime cast wins or close to it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-07-2018 08:25 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Million $ Elmoe, Pac-Man, Zeb 3, all the Wipeouts dogs like Moose, Tommy, Mack, Bentley, Weapon, Bill, and Willie.. there it is in that order... If you don't know the dogs I named its time to wake up and smell the coffee cook'in,,,, Lol!

Old Post 06-16-2018 12:52 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Top 10 dogs

Let's see a list of your top 10 Jan/Feb got the coonhunting most every time dog/s, Dogs that you could feed your family with if coon hides were worth anything. Dave

Old Post 06-16-2018 08:54 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

The ones I listed doesn't matter what time of year it is. They will put the meat with the potatoes

Old Post 06-16-2018 09:34 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jason

You and I think alike, those are my kind of dog/s. If they can't do it in the dead of winter, I don't want them. Dave

Old Post 06-16-2018 10:41 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I'm not gonna piss down your back and tell you it's raining I'll be honest my Dog doesn't do to good on them moon lit 10 degree nights. He doesn't do Well on them 90 degree nights either. Now I think about it I don't know what nights he does do good. But when he trees i expect to see a coon no matter the weather.

Old Post 06-16-2018 11:50 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

MELTDOWN gotta be something specail... Mr Larry Hawkes Ruby bitch can tree any kind of coon and on any man's hound!! Tin Man is one of my favorites of all, this Ol plug black dog I use to have named Mack made coon treeing look easy, Bud Ramsey Ol plott dog Tiger would tree them night after night tree after tree. In a hunt I've seen Lock Box, Eye knot, Too much Alcohol all put on clinics.

Old Post 06-17-2018 01:51 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Top 10 dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Let's see a list of your top 10 Jan/Feb got the coonhunting most every time dog/s, Dogs that you could feed your family with if coon hides were worth anything. Dave

It's funny you asked that Dave. Me and Dylan keep up with it one time. We ran for a ticket in Jan I believe 2 years ago. We were on 9 2 hour cast and won 7 with our little English female. She was 13 for 16. One slick 2 dens and a opposum. 13 trees plused. We drew 2 wld champs a couple super stakes winners and several platnuim and gold champs. She was only dog to tree a coon in all of those 9 cast and treed 13. Now I believe the other dogs were scored on about 30 trees and none of them were pluses. Now the next year we ran her and she struggled to have them to. But to answer your question. Barry Kiddy came to stay with me about 3 weeks ago not coonhunting related but business related. After work I asked him that question witch ones were the best. I guess since he's owned half the dogs on the all time earnings list at one time he would have a good opionion. But he said this "if a man knocked on my door at 2:00 in the morning and it was a full moon ground covered in ice wind blowing 25 mph and it 10 degrees and he said you got one dog to turn loose one drop and you must show me a coon or the world would end he said Zeb Again would be the only dog he would be confident with". He said he was best winter time deer dog hog dog and coon dog there ever was. He said he may run down a 10 buck and kill it or a hog but he would eventually get treed and have the coon ever time. He just said he was a running dog that would tree. And he was just simply not enuff tree dog to miss.

Old Post 06-17-2018 01:54 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Dogs I'm mentioning never won great big hunts but we're coondog I owned one the rest were not mine but when they parked ruff old cold track hot fast track or anything in between my flat or botoms had two looking down or legitimate den spring Creek sugar roaring springs festus roaring springs ranger pac man pepper and a female that ha sno big blood lines but all these were get in country get it done right coondog . I have spent many many night with these hounds they all had it I know there are better but these some of the best I ever followed

Old Post 06-17-2018 01:57 AM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

NWilliams

Regarding Barry's comment, not enough treedog to miss, might have been accurate in that dogs case! I have seen exceptional accuracy in dogs that never ran off game, they just mastered having their coon. I believe that it takes a combination of nose and the brain to use that nose. Exceptional dogs are like exceptional people, they are rare and a pleasure to be around. Dave

Old Post 06-17-2018 10:35 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Treedog2345

I have competition hunted and pleasure hunted for over 50 years. I have only had a few dogs the excelled in both competition hunts and as a true winter time coondog . Given the choice between the two, I am always going to pick the good wintertime dog, as that is what defines a coondog in my eyes. It's never about the hunts that a dog has won, but about the pleasure one gets from hunting the dog. Dave

Old Post 06-17-2018 11:01 PM
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

A good wintertime coon dog will win some hunts.

But for the real top nite hunt dogs, a particular temperament, attitude and skill set is necessary that isn't always found in what I consider that top notch wintertime coon dog.

But they certainly can overlap.

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:20 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: NWilliams

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Regarding Barry's comment, not enough treedog to miss, might have been accurate in that dogs case! I have seen exceptional accuracy in dogs that never ran off game, they just mastered having their coon. I believe that it takes a combination of nose and the brain to use that nose. Exceptional dogs are like exceptional people, they are rare and a pleasure to be around. Dave

Zeb again had a tremendous impact on the walker breed. No telling how many wld hunts super stakes and trucks were won from his offspring and grand pups. He was noted as being the dog to go to if you needed tacking,drive and # 1 accuracy added to your line. Barry will tell you he missed 2 of his prime years because he sold him. He made final 6 of the world 2 years in a row. Once before he sold him and 2 years after he bought him back. He sold him because he treed a Coon and opossum in same tree one night and he beat him before he seen coon. Due to the fact he didn't really want to tree he quit treeing for him. But he said zeb 3 was his most favorite when he was operating. Sometime you get a tree dog that has coon but very rarely do they reproduce the same. That's how him and that line won. When them leaves got off they made the rest pay by having real live Rickey's in the tree. Even when wheather was harsh. But most of the public didn't like them because you often had to start off with a idiot and dogs that came out looking for something to run instead of tree. Most are calling these wipeout dogs wipeout when there watered down with sacett and other tree lines. And sometimes it works well crossed on that stuff. Barry will tell you the original zeb dog and zeb again treed more coon in the daytime than most good ones would tree at night. It was funny to listen to him tell stories on them preparing the original zeb dog for hunts. Barry hunt him from 6-12. Clay would hunt him from 12-6. Then Someone else would hunt him from 6-noon.

Old Post 06-18-2018 08:34 PM
Ol Grump
UKC Forum Member

McClanahans Sunny(LIPPERMAN)..... I been hearing he is the REAL DEAL..... Only 15 months old..... 5/8 grandnite champion..... Out of the famous Bozo X Lizzy cross

I feed and recommend: Retriever Hi-Energy

Old Post 06-20-2018 08:54 PM
Ol Grump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ol Grump Click here to Send Ol Grump a Private Message Click Here to Email Ol Grump Find more posts by Ol Grump Add Ol Grump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cabins
UKC Forum Member

Meadowoods blue ace. Never took a second tree during his lifetime. Won Canada's autumn oaks. High score both nights 85 grand reunion. 300 entries both night s Ohio state champion all in 30 days over 1000 entries in one month. Most that hunted w him said he was best they ever seen.

Old Post 06-20-2018 09:23 PM
cabins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cabins Click here to Send cabins a Private Message Click Here to Email cabins Find more posts by cabins Add cabins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cabins

Blue Ace sounds like one that any man would like! I know that I would. Dave

Old Post 06-21-2018 02:22 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Carroll

John, I have to agree with your post 100%, once in a blue moon, a man can get both in the same hide, not often. I have only owned 2 dogs that excelled at both and they were special. Saying that, I still want the wintertime dog over the competition dog, I love a good wintertime, get the job done right dog, to me, that is what defines a coondog. Dave

Old Post 06-21-2018 02:32 AM
yadkintar
Banned

I like a dog that when it gets on a bad track it drifts long distances till I gets it jumped then runs on body scent till it catches it or trees most all the really good track dogs I have owned were super accurate that's why I have stuck with what I got all these years. When they are young that deer don't have time to circle lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-21-2018 02:49 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You are right about track dogs, a really good track dog seems to have uncanny acurracy. Slick tree dogs usually are very poor track dogs. Nose and the brains to use that nose is what excites me. My old 12 year old dog is one of the best track dogs I have seen, and he is deadly accurate. Sure be nice to find another dog like him, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-21-2018 05:00 AM
chaz2012
Banned

GR NT CH ALL GRAND SPIDERMAN , THATS RIGHT LISTEN UP BOYS NO ONE HAS EVER OWNED A DOG THAT TREED A COON ON OLE SPIDERMAN !!

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-21-2018 09:45 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Nt. Ch. Kellers Mike

Mike was owned by Bud Keller of Collins, Mo. in the 70s when there were 3 hour hunts and 100 entries Mike won 32 out of 33 Gr. Nt. Ch. casts in the KC/Springfield, M0. circuit. Spring Creek Rock and Finley River Dan were in their prime and hit the same hunts. Mike was an outstanding single registered English being half running walker and half grade bluetick. He dominated a cast. One of the best that I ever hunted with.

Old Post 06-22-2018 12:52 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Klerkry

Old boy up in Kentucky had a part fox hound that was a heck of a coondog. You know in the early days of single registration that was fairly common. Dave

Old Post 06-22-2018 01:54 AM
DwayneWhite
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
Million $ Elmoe, Pac-Man, Zeb 3, all the Wipeouts dogs like Moose, Tommy, Mack, Bentley, Weapon, Bill, and Willie.. there it is in that order... If you don't know the dogs I named its time to wake up and smell the coffee cook'in,,,, Lol!

what can you tell me about the Wipeout Tommy dog?

Old Post 06-22-2018 06:42 PM
DwayneWhite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneWhite Click here to Send DwayneWhite a Private Message Click Here to Email DwayneWhite Find more posts by DwayneWhite Add DwayneWhite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DwayneWhite
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy

what can you tell me about the Wipeout Tommy dog?

Old Post 06-22-2018 06:43 PM
DwayneWhite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneWhite Click here to Send DwayneWhite a Private Message Click Here to Email DwayneWhite Find more posts by DwayneWhite Add DwayneWhite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Gossett
UKC Forum Member

top dogs

Flat Rock Coma was the most impressive I have ever seen go one time. Seen him go just one night, but he was impressive.

Hillbilly Mike was not flashy at all compared to Coma. However, he would coon dog u to death.

Those are two of the more well known hounds in the coon dog world.

My brother had one that was pretty dang good back in the day. His name was Chopper, flat kill you on laugthery creek!!

I also had one back in the day called Tuck. He drew and beat several of the dogs mentioned in this post from his era multiple times, so I guess he was a good one too!!

I had a couple gyp's that I would like to have back, whether anyone else liked, I liked them and the pups they had too!! I am a bit partial to them!!

PKC Ch, GrNtCh Pine Ridge Emma Top 25 PKC Futrity/Top 100 PKC All Time Reproducing female
PKC Silver Ch, GrNtCh Pine Ridge Emma II
PKC Platinum, GrNtCh Pine Ridge Chic 2002 Senior Super Stakes Champion/Top 100 PKC All Time Reproducing female
PKC Ch, GrNtCh Pine Ridge Tuff
PKC Silver Ch, GrNtCh Pine Ridge Whiskie
PKC Silver Ch, GrNtCh Pine Ridge Spree
NtCh Pine Ridge Queen
PKC Ch, NtCh Pine Ridge Chico
PKC Ch Pine Ridge Loner 2015 Spring Freshman Super Stakes Champion
NtCh Pine Ridge Zella

Last edited by John Gossett on 06-22-2018 at 07:00 PM

Old Post 06-22-2018 06:53 PM
John Gossett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Gossett Click here to Send John Gossett a Private Message Click Here to Email John Gossett Find more posts by John Gossett Add John Gossett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote