UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting speed ?
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

Hunting Speed

I have no doubt some dogs can run 25-30 mph but if they are they are not hunting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2019 04:54 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I wish that everyone could hunt with a freak like we are talking about here. The reason that a lot of you don’t believe in a dog like this is because they are EXTREMELY RARE. Dogs that consistently average in the teens that is looking to get a coon treed as soon as it’s unsnapped can be unbeatable at times. You will only beat them if they make a mistake. There are a bunch of dogs that leave like there tail is on fire and don’t look to get treed for a mile but what we are talking about is dogs that will get treed at 10 feet as well. Until you hunt with one I don’t expect you to be able to wrap your mind around it. I’ve seen 3 dogs like I’ve described 2 of them were out of the first one. I’ve gotten to the point that I reset my Garmin before I turn them loose EVERY TIME because I want to know how fast they are covering ground and how they are covering it. I really like to see 10+ mph and big huge swings on the dog tracks all the time if they can’t do that they won’t live here I don’t care how many coon they tree because sooner or later they will have to beat the freak of nature and I don’t want to rely on them making mistakes so I can beat them.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 12-20-2019 05:28 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
I wish that everyone could hunt with a freak like we are talking about here. The reason that a lot of you don’t believe in a dog like this is because they are EXTREMELY RARE. Dogs that consistently average in the teens that is looking to get a coon treed as soon as it’s unsnapped can be unbeatable at times. You will only beat them if they make a mistake. There are a bunch of dogs that leave like there tail is on fire and don’t look to get treed for a mile but what we are talking about is dogs that will get treed at 10 feet as well. Until you hunt with one I don’t expect you to be able to wrap your mind around it. I’ve seen 3 dogs like I’ve described 2 of them were out of the first one. I’ve gotten to the point that I reset my Garmin before I turn them loose EVERY TIME because I want to know how fast they are covering ground and how they are covering it. I really like to see 10+ mph and big huge swings on the dog tracks all the time if they can’t do that they won’t live here I don’t care how many coon they tree because sooner or later they will have to beat the freak of nature and I don’t want to rely on them making mistakes so I can beat them.

I've had but a couple, seen but a couple more. And, while they are rare as hens teeth, seeing it being bred with ANY type of consistency (heck even just 1) is ever more rare, so to say you've had 2 out of 1 as you've described is doing something. And I would line up to try one IF a man/woman actually believed I even had a 50% chance said pup would be that way. I can't find it, haven't seen it and almost don't think it can be done. And that's not to say I doubt you, it's to say if you feel that could be out there in a litter, LET ME KNOW.

Old Post 12-20-2019 05:43 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is this thread about extremely rare, hens teeth, freaks of nature dogs that only 2 or 3 people have ever seen or are we talking about everyday coon dogs?

Old Post 12-20-2019 06:15 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Is this thread about extremely rare, hens teeth, freaks of nature dogs that only 2 or 3 people have ever seen or are we talking about everyday coon dogs?

OH MY GOODNESS........ The question was how fast can a dog hunt. Was it not? There are dogs that can do exactly what Jen, Dalton and I are saying. But you and several others are trying to tell us that they don't exist and we're making it up. I'm with Dalton and don't expect any of you to try and wrap your head around it. And dogs that hunt in the 7 mph aren't hard to find. But I wouldn't assume a dog can't hunt above 4 mph because what I'm leading won't or can't hunt at 7 mph.

I try and hunt dogs that I'm happy with. If I can walk faster than they hunt it just doesn't cut it for me.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-20-2019 07:13 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

I'd say that's a blurred line for many...if they've never seen such a dog and/or their idea of fast is like many folks' idea of accurate.

Old Post 12-20-2019 07:13 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

One thought this has brought to me is how close to a track does a dog need to be to know the track is there. I know on a good track they can sometimes be several yards away but I'm talking about a working track. If my dog goes thru the timber and is 100 ft away from a cold/working track I don't think he will know it's there. I really don't know how throughly a dog needs to work the timber. I just know one with what I call coon sense will find a coon track faster than the rest. Whether he outruns them to it or is just smarter about where to look I'm not sure. And by the way the dog I hunt now is a nice dog but does not have what I call real coon sense about where to find a coon.

Old Post 12-20-2019 08:03 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
OH MY GOODNESS........ The question was how fast can a dog hunt. Was it not? There are dogs that can do exactly what Jen, Dalton and I are saying....

I think that the question was how fast can a dog hunt "proficiently". And I never said that double digit dogs don't exist. My lowly opinion is that a dog that fast surely can't be that proficient. Now there may be one or two "freaks of nature" but they aren't "dogs in general".

Old Post 12-20-2019 08:28 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
OH MY GOODNESS........ The question was how fast can a dog hunt. Was it not? There are dogs that can do exactly what Jen, Dalton and I are saying....

I think that the question was how fast can a dog hunt "proficiently". And I never said that double digit dogs don't exist. My lowly opinion is that a dog that fast surely can't be that proficient. Now there may be one or two "freaks of nature" but they aren't "dogs in general".

Old Post 12-20-2019 08:28 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I am with you on this position, it's makes no difference how fast a dog hunts if they are not hunting efficiently. There is a point when speed undermines a dogs ability to find the coon tracks that are available in the hunting ground you are hunting. I don't care if that fast dog strikes a coon 50 foot or a mile deep I do care when they hunt to fast to strike the tracks they missed while racing around the woods. I have seen way to many times from my own dogs that were hunting faster than their nose could handle and miss coon tracks that another dog struck and treed behind them and real close to where they had been. I don't care what anyone else hunts, that's fine with me, but I hate it when my dogs pass a coon track without striking that track only to have another dog strike and tree that coon. Dave

Old Post 12-20-2019 08:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Dave, plenty dogs might pass up a coon track when they're in a race with another dog upon first being released. I think sometimes they can smell it and not quit racing. What Dalton's talking about is a dog that only has COON on his mind and doesn't care what anything is doing. It's hard to envision something we've never seen.

Old Post 12-20-2019 09:04 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

I have owned several dogs that had one thing on their mind and that was a coon, they were indifferent to what the other dogs were doing. I never paid any attention to things like how fast they hunted, but they hunted on a run, knew where to strike a coon and were very accurate when they treed. They were both pleasure hunting dogs and top competition dogs. Dsve

Old Post 12-20-2019 09:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Curious question? The Trax dog you mentioned who's dog was he?

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-20-2019 10:00 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Curious question? The Trax dog you mentioned who's dog was he?

Stefan Lab's Trax dog. Saw him a few times and he looked right, treed 13 singles 1 night.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-20-2019 10:07 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Donald Bergeron

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I have owned several dogs that had one thing on their mind and that was a coon, they were indifferent to what the other dogs were doing. I never paid any attention to things like how fast they hunted, but they hunted on a run, knew where to strike a coon and were very accurate when they treed. They were both pleasure hunting dogs and top competition dogs. Dsve
You obviously never saw one like Dalton's talking about.

Old Post 12-20-2019 11:21 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

Opinions differ, I never looked at the speed as being a determining factor on why the dog was a top performer. I am sure that speed is only a part of why any top dog is a top coon hound. Speed is just one if many things that go into a dog being a top coon hound. I judge a dog on how good it is at treeing coons, and that takes more than speed. I have hunted for over 50 years and never bought or sold a dog based on the dogs speed, never asked how fast the dog hunted, and never had any one ask me how fast does the dog hunts. Determining how good s dog is based on speed is impossable, it takes a lot of things to make a top coon dog and speed at best is just one of these. Dave

Old Post 12-20-2019 11:45 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I want a dogs hunting speed before struck to be slower than it is after it’s struck.

Tar

Old Post 12-21-2019 01:15 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Now that's what I am talking about, strike and then drive that track. Find a track by actually hunting one, using their brain, nose and experience to strike coons, then worry about speed. Dave

Old Post 12-21-2019 01:37 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I want a dogs hunting speed before struck to be slower than it is after it’s struck.

Tar

Tar I agree with that but truth be told my dog strikes some tracks that make him slow down. I love them tracks that he really makes move but the truth is he can't do it with all of them. By the way I've always thought one of his faults was that he didn't hustle enough. Never looked at how fast he went till tonight. 6.7 MPH until he struck and this was thru a pretty grown up bottom. I can certainly see a dog avg 10 or above and I think in the past I had several. Just didn't think they covered that much ground. Didn't have a garmin back then.

Old Post 12-21-2019 02:58 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Stefan Lab's Trax dog. Saw him a few times and he looked right, treed 13 singles 1 night.

Trax is off muscleman, I have a female off muscleman and a littermate sister to the Willy dog, she moves around at 12-15 mph and is everywhere. My male dog is out of lone pine trackgirl who is a littermate to muscleman and his sire is tree slamming Frankie, he move just as fast or faster. Funny how it keeps showing up , just like in the Cummings dogs..... maybe, just maybe it can be bred for 😎.

Old Post 12-21-2019 04:37 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Hunting speed hmmmmmm....
A fast hunting trax dog ought ta be catching coons on the ground consistently......
If not then ur deceiveing urself about, how fast a trax dog one has........

Old Post 12-21-2019 05:45 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Hunting speed hmmmmmm....
A fast hunting trax dog ought ta be catching coons on the ground consistently......
If not then ur deceiveing urself about, how fast a trax dog one has........

Most fast ones do but it also depends on terrain and whether it is coon that is down and they are running it or if they are running tracks of coons in trees. Ours catch quite a few kill them and then go on looking for another.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-21-2019 09:37 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Most fast ones do but it also depends on terrain and whether it is coon that is down and they are running it or if they are running tracks of coons in trees. Ours catch quite a few kill them and then go on looking for another.

Yuuuup , my "rebel" male caught one last nite on the ground in the middle of clean timber,
then he pushed one that crossed in front of me last nite .. he was moving fast....
.I kiked him into a dog that had a 1min. lead on him.... he drops in their and takes that trax away from that dog .... When the coon crossed in front of me he was 30 sec behind that coon......

Old Post 12-21-2019 09:57 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote