UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhunting made better or ruined?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunting made better or ruined?

When you were young and going every night and having a blast and thought you were happy, then you went hunting with that outstanding hound that made it look so easy and he sounded so good you couldn't believe it was really happening , did it ruin the thrill to where you couldn't be satisfied with the average dog or can you still just enjoy the night out?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2019 04:48 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I just go when I want to now. The hunts are all but gone in my area and the distance along with cost is just not economicly worth it. But I enjoy it when I do go.

Tar

Old Post 06-22-2019 06:35 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

When you have witnessed better , average just won't do.
When one was young , one didn't know any better.
Now you know better so (hopefully ) u do better

Average doesn't cut it for me...no enjoyment there .

Old Post 06-22-2019 07:24 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I agree when the bar is set high it does change things!

Old Post 06-22-2019 07:27 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

I like to see a coon when I walk to a tree. So , my standards are high. But we have to except that our hounds do not live forever. Enjoy them while they last. I do believe in a once an a lifetime dog. It’s hard to replace them.But , if you love coon hunting you will go no matter what’s on the end of your lead.

Old Post 06-22-2019 08:29 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt

You nailed it, once you have hunted with an exceptional dog, you no longer are content with anything else! Saying that, there are few exceptional dogs and it's a privilige to ever own and hunt one. I have been extremely lucky to have owned 2 in over 50 years of hunting. Dave

Old Post 06-22-2019 09:27 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I agree the worst thing that happens to a guy is to own a good one. lol

Old Post 06-23-2019 12:58 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I agree the worst thing that happens to a guy is to own a good one. lol

Old Post 06-23-2019 12:58 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Dogs are like people........ no 2 are the same. If you could always have a special one then there wouldn't be anything special about them. Unless you have a pile of money to spend on buying someone else's top dog every time you get the itch you'll learn what you can and can't live with. I can enjoy a solid hound that consistently produces game, doesn't bother trash and handles well. The majority of the people I know have learned to enjoy a truly good hound but are always on the lookout for that special one that only comes along once in awhile. I've also learned that it's unfair to your hounds if you are constantly measuring them up to what you once had. Perhaps one day cloning of coon hounds and other hunting hounds will become feasible for the common man but I hope not. It will take away the excitement of starting that next pup with the hope that this one may be the best you've ever had.

Old Post 06-23-2019 04:54 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

The internet isn't helping it.

Old Post 06-23-2019 05:28 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
..... the distance along with cost is just not economicly worth it. But I enjoy it when I do go.
Tar

I guess that it is just a matter of priorities. How much is "enjoyment" worth. How long do you have left to "enjoy" yourself? And how far did you just drive to that stock show? How economical was that? Maybe if you had a dog that could win, it would be more economical.

Old Post 06-23-2019 03:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

When I 1st started out I had a grade dog and sure didn't tree many or any from what I can remember. After awhile I got 1 that did tree coon. She was still a grade dog and old as could be. But I enjoyed finally treeing a couple coon. A couple years after that I was hunting ever night with the best dog I ever hunted with. He was really a top notch hound the kind of dog that ya will probably never see 1 close to that good again.
I never felt that dog ruined me or my hunting as a matter a fact just the opposite. I have seen how high the bar can be set.
Some people have know idea how great and consistent a dog can be. Let me tell ya they can be very consistent.
That was 30 years ago. I have not seen a dog that good again. Bits and pieces in different dogs but never the complete package. I have owned a couple nice coon hounds and hunted with some nice ones and enjoy them even though I know there is better. I start a couple pups every year still hoping for the next great 1 just like so many of us do. I think 1 of the reasons it never ruined me was I don't have a set pattern I like in a dog I enjoy seeing what each individual pup brings to the table.

Old Post 06-23-2019 04:11 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Although over the years I have come to realize what I won't put up with in a pup. I can still enjoy my night of hunting but if I'm not happy with what I'm hunting tonight at this point in my life I won't keep hunting it I will replace it quick if i decide it's best to do so. There are plenty of pups out there. When I was a kid I didn't have the money and means to replace a pup so easy but today that is not a problem and my time is more important to me.

Old Post 06-23-2019 04:29 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

Absolute worst thing that ever happened to me. Only owned two in my life, and handled three others for other people that were in a class above the others. Plain got me where a pretty good dog just wasn't good enough any more.

Old Post 06-23-2019 10:35 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I guess that it is just a matter of priorities. How much is "enjoyment" worth. How long do you have left to "enjoy" yourself? And how far did you just drive to that stock show? How economical was that? Maybe if you had a dog that could win, it would be more economical.

Now Richard that isn't even a fair question. Most with grandkids and kids will make sacrifices and spend money for their activities that they would not on themselves. Tar is no different than 1,000's of others. The ones that would rather spend it on themselves than the grandbabies need a head check.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-23-2019 11:32 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Jen I will answer that I just now seen it. Richard any ukc hunt worth going to is at least 13 hrs from here. Spend $300 for gas , $300 on a room plus entry’s and food and that’s being conservative. To win a trophy a dog box and a couple bags of dog food and a dog food bowl ( already got all that ) And the next week they will ask you on here what have you ever won because they forget that quick. But I can spend time with my kids and grandkids and the day I die there won’t be fake tears because they will know I really did love them no doubt about it ! Because I put them first.

Tar

Old Post 06-23-2019 11:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't think that there is anything wrong with that nor did I mean to imply that. It is just a matter of priorities. You think that it is all right to spend money on and travel with grandkids but you think that it is wrong to spend money on coonhunting. That is great but don't at the same time complain about having to take time to drive or spend money to go coonhunting.

You want some economical reward for coonhunting. Some people are happy with the personal satisfaction and enjoyment that they get from coonhunting. There are other rewards other than money.

Also figure up how much money you spend catching those catfish, fileting them, packaging them and keeping them in your freezer. Now compare that to what you would spend just buying them at the store. How economical are they?

Old Post 06-24-2019 12:31 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
.... Richard any ukc hunt worth going to is at least 13 hrs from here. Spend $300 for gas , $300 on a room plus entry’s and food and that’s being conservative. Tar

Oh my goodness, now you are just pulling #'s out of thin air. I would hate to travel with you if your vehicle burns that much gas and you spend that much on a hotel. And you are only 13 hrs from my house in the very southeast corner of Tn. Tarbaby, they won't let you take it with you.

Old Post 06-24-2019 12:40 AM
yadkintar
Banned

$2.00 worth of boat gas $3.00 gas in the truck and I grow my worms in the garage lol.

Now far as going to hunts I enjoyed traveling when you got recognition for your wins. Now there is a major hunt or some kind of world hunt nearly every weekend. 6 or 7 world champs every year. Go to a local hunt and ask who won the ukc world hunt two years ago most can’t tell you. I want to spend a $1,000 for that not me man. But you go girlfriend with yah bad self lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-24-2019 12:44 AM
rrekab
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunting made better or ruined

I have always owned a coonhound that could tree a coon. I have been able to hunt with better dogs than I have ever owned myself but that could be because I may have seen them on their better nights. I have really never owned an 80% accurate hound that suits me in other areas, so that's what keeps me going plus the friends I have acquired along the way. I am primarily a pleasure hunter so awards, titles, and recognition are not important. Starting that next pup and watching him progress to his potential and the friendships is what keeps me from packing it in due to the difficulties of hunting in today's world.

Old Post 06-24-2019 02:11 AM
rrekab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rrekab Click here to Send rrekab a Private Message Click Here to Email rrekab Find more posts by rrekab Add rrekab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I have been able to hunt with better dogs than I have ever owned myself but that could be because I may have seen them on their better nights

Seems like I don't see the faults in dogs that someone else owns like I do in mine. Years ago a friend had some health problems and gave me a dog that he had turned down $11,000 for. I had hunted with her a lot and thought she was very good but while I had her she didn't impress me so much. Friend got better and I gave her back to him.

Old Post 06-24-2019 02:41 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I often wonder what these dogs think about the quality and abilities of their owners , are they once in a lifetime owners or just run of the mill average to below average owners?

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-24-2019 01:19 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Outstanding Dogs Performance

I don't believe you can realize the highest level of ability that is possible unless you've seen it and we all have a different description of what BEST is. I never appreciated what I've been blessed with until it was gone, but the challenge to achieve the "possible" is what drives me to hunt when it is not enjoyable or fun. I view things in general as those of highest level of quality have the least faults and not just one or two outstanding characteristics. Deal breakers to me are not to others.
The outdoors in Wisconsin in winter and summer is not always pleasant. It tests you physically and mentally, but the possibility of achieving greatness that I've previously experienced is what makes me leave the air conditioner, couch and family to endure heat, humidity, bugs, thorns and the pain of old age. When someone asks if I'm going hunting my reply is; if it gets dark!

Old Post 06-24-2019 04:46 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think the answer comes from where a person is in life. One full of energy with no aches or pains. They are going full blast to hunt hard and get the best dog they can. Then age, family or life issues creep in and we start to get excuses for why we don't hunt as much. Never can accept the facts of life or our age in life. Always has to be something negative that someone else did to slow us down. Reality is we slow down ourselves or get our plate to full. Just admit it and do the best our can or move along to another sport with out condemning this one.

Old Post 06-24-2019 06:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce you are about like I am distance ways from major hunts. If you were not in the supply business would you still pay sombody to go to those major hunts ?

If I do the math the cost vs the chances of me beating 300 dogs in their own back yard the odds are not that good I tried it for years.

I only get paid once a month it don’t stretch that far no excuses just facts and you can’t drag those northern boys down here to a hunt it puts tears in their britches.

Tar

Old Post 06-24-2019 07:44 PM