UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > question..coonhound bench shows
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
las123
UKC Forum Member

question..coonhound bench shows

my question is can you put a dog on the bench with a pinch collar on?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2018 10:25 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

no .not if you want to win

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 08-09-2018 10:42 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rowdykidz
UKC Forum Member

You will want a snake chain or a martingale chain

Old Post 08-10-2018 01:09 AM
rowdykidz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rowdykidz Click here to Send rowdykidz a Private Message Click Here to Email rowdykidz Find more posts by rowdykidz Add rowdykidz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
las123
UKC Forum Member

ty

thanks..i was at a bench show it was a coonhounds..i was watching and i seen a guy put his dog on the bench and he had a pinch collar on..the other 2 dogs had no collars.i said to my self this 1 should be easy.low and behold the dog with the pinch collar won.

Old Post 08-10-2018 04:57 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What is a pinch collar?

Old Post 08-10-2018 05:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
What is a pinch collar?
ITS A COLLAR THAT HAS LITTLE LEVERS UNDER THE CHAIN THAT PINCH WHEN PULLED ON some versions are pretty rough on a dog,
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...lies/3052412011

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 08-10-2018 at 07:31 PM

Old Post 08-10-2018 07:12 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Re: ty

quote:
Originally posted by las123
thanks..i was at a bench show it was a coonhounds..i was watching and i seen a guy put his dog on the bench and he had a pinch collar on..the other 2 dogs had no collars.i said to my self this 1 should be easy.low and behold the dog with the pinch collar won.
You were correct and I would say that you did not have or see a very good bench show judge , I would let them show but would not consider them for placement. I had a guy once show a dog with a shocking collar on he was a nice son of a gun too but I picked the dog that was not near as nice , The guy had been practicing all day with the shocker on the dog bumping him every time he moved , I had asked him to stop and to do his training at home and he told me to mind my own business, you should have seen his face when I came out to judge the dogs.

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 08-10-2018 at 07:29 PM

Old Post 08-10-2018 07:16 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Joe, is there a rule against wearing or using a shock collar during a bench show?

Old Post 08-10-2018 07:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

Seems like you should be judging the dog not the collar. If a judge picks a lesser dog because he or she didn't like the collar the nicer dog wore, what are you really judging. If the dog has awesome confirmation and a lesser dog wins because the judge doesn't like the collar???? If there is a black and white rule on the collars used then I can see the point for disqualification.

Old Post 08-10-2018 09:34 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
las123
UKC Forum Member

lol

lol..i guess i stirred the pot!!no 1 said which dog was nicer.the orginal question was are they allowed to use a pinch collar while benching a dog.if its not allowed why wasnt that dog scratched!just like your not allowed to give your dog a treat while on the bench.just maybe,maybe if you train your dog better you wouldnt need to cheat to win!!just follow the rules,if not mistaken i dont think there is a gray area in this rule.

Old Post 08-11-2018 02:02 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: lol

quote:
Originally posted by las123
.....if not mistaken i dont think there is a gray area in this rule....

Is it even a rule? At every bench show that I have seen almost every handler put their dog up on the bench to do a little "training" before the show started.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-11-2018 at 02:23 PM

Old Post 08-11-2018 02:20 PM
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

I have the official rule book and there is no mention of collar requirements or forbidding practice before the event. Rule 19 does state, no bait, clickers or toys are allowed in the show ring. So essentially no treats, noisemakers or toys to help them perform. That being said and this is just my opinion, a training collar capable of noise and physical stimulation should disqualify the entry. Seems like that would be under the clicker rule

Old Post 08-12-2018 01:11 AM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

There was a time it was written if memory serves me that no training aides were allowed. Now they are more specific in the statement of the type of training aides..
However with the advent, evolution, and frequent use of training collars the rules have been tweaked to accept the wearing of shockers as long as the transmitter was left in the vehicle.(On Nite Hunts.)
Anyone that knows much about it can argue that the dog knows the shocker and will behave himself while it is being worn.
Additionally everyone with much experience in the ring will agree that show leashes are the norm. Glorified chokers that make the dog lead better as well as the quickness in allowing the removal to show the dog.
The Pinch Collar is nothing more than a better style choke collar of sorts.(pinch collars when used correctly are actually more difficult to remove quickly.)
That being said, applying this conception to the show dog ,one could argue the shocker causes the dog to show like a statue out of fear. However, the rules do not specify they are not allowed.Rules only says may not be used during time in and until all dogs are caught in a Nite Hunt.
So applying this terminology to a bench show as long as it was not used during the actual time of the show was it wrong?
If it was a concern,I would ask "ALL" handlers to remove any collars while being shown that day.

So unless/until it is specifically written in the rules I would not disqualify a handler for using a pinch collar as opposed to a choker /show lead/ or martingale style.After all it is still just another type of choke collar. No more No less.
Nor a shocker as long as the transmitter was not on their person and in fact otherwise in the vehicle as required .

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 08-12-2018 at 08:04 AM

Old Post 08-12-2018 04:11 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Re: Re: lol

quote:
Is it even a rule? At every bench show that I have seen almost every handler put their dog up on the bench to do a little "training" before the show started.
Big difference between Training vs abuse Richard he was being way too ruff. I dont know about you Richard but im not going to sit there and watch someone shock and abuse a dog for a hour or longer .

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 08-13-2018 at 02:20 AM

Old Post 08-13-2018 02:12 AM
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Joe, is there a rule against wearing or using a shock collar during a bench show?
no and yes.

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 08-13-2018 at 02:20 AM

Old Post 08-13-2018 02:14 AM
wjoey
Banned

Pat most people that get disqualified do not even know thats what happened , they just think they got beat .

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Old Post 08-13-2018 02:17 AM