UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhunting with a pistol
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JB PITCREW
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunting with a pistol

What make/model are those of you that use a pistol to shoot your coon out using? Also what type of sights/scope works best in the dark? I'm tired of or maybe getting "too old" lol to pack a rifle,lead two dogs and if I'm lucky enough try to pack a coon back to the truck anymore. What's everyone suggest?

Home of Previous #1 Reproducing English Coonhound 15.49%
GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Briar Valley Nite Prowler "semen stored”
GRNTCH CH Dee's Nite Prowling Blitz "semen stored”
'PR' Northridge JoJoe's Blue Thunder
'PR' Northridge Icky’s Old Sandy

ENGLISH HOUNDS SINCE 1969....If you breed for papers instead of traits,You deserve what you end up with...Kelley Stagner

RIP........................................
GRNTCH GRCH Briar Valley Nite Prowler
GRNTCH GRCH Wilcox's Thunder JoJoe
GRNTCH GRCH Northridge Red Loopy
GRNTCH GRCH Northridge JoJo's Feebie
GRNTCH CH Dee's Nite Prowling Blitz
GRNTCH CH Northridge Jo Joe’s Icky

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2014 05:03 AM
JB PITCREW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB PITCREW Click here to Send JB PITCREW a Private Message Find more posts by JB PITCREW Add JB PITCREW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LRHINEHART
UKC Forum Member

Ruger single six with 9 1/2" barrel

This pistol is extremely accurate in the right hands. It's all you need majority of time. It has adjustable rear sight and once it's zeroed in if you can see them it's a done deal. I have used one last two kill seasons. My huntin buddy ordered him one couple months ago, after mine made a believer out of him last yr. To be honest though. My eyes are getting bad or I lost my touch because I have wasted a few shells already this yr. My buddy on other hand has been lethal with his for most part unless they been balled up in vines etc... which makes it all tougher with a pistol. Another friend of mine has one identical to it and he is deadly with his as well. They are like a lil rifle on your hip! Hope this helps. GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTmas!

"ONE LIFE TWILL SOON BE PAST, ONLY WHATS DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST"!!! JESUS SAVES!!!

RHINEHARTS SHES A GRAND DANDY

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
RHINEHARTS BAWLIN FRED BEAR
AS A WHOLE, YOU WILL BE THE STANDARD BY WHICH I WILL MEASURE ALL OTHERS MY OL' FRIEND!!! I ENJOYED EVERY STEP BEHIND YOU!!

Old Post 12-19-2014 09:55 AM
LRHINEHART is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LRHINEHART Click here to Send LRHINEHART a Private Message Click Here to Email LRHINEHART Find more posts by LRHINEHART Add LRHINEHART to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squirrelhunter7
UKC Forum Member

I use a S&W 17 some. Some times I look like Wyatt Earp and peel them right out of there, but if I ever miss seems like it make take half a box to get it out lol

Old Post 12-19-2014 11:27 AM
squirrelhunter7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squirrelhunter7 Click here to Send squirrelhunter7 a Private Message Click Here to Email squirrelhunter7 Find more posts by squirrelhunter7 Add squirrelhunter7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I have a ruger Mark2 with crimson trase laser grips, it does a nice job but is awful loud unless you can find some cci quiet ammo which has been about impossible.

Old Post 12-19-2014 12:54 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

I just bought a little Cricket .22 Single Shot pistol to start packing to the woods. Pretty excited to see how it works!

I'd be interested to hear what people suggest for a .22 pistol scope too, what are ya'lls suggestions???

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:11 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GayleFlowers
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coonhunting with a pistol

quote:
Originally posted by JB PITCREW
What make/model are those of you that use a pistol to shoot your coon out using? Also what type of sights/scope works best in the dark? I'm tired of or maybe getting "too old" lol to pack a rifle,lead two dogs and if I'm lucky enough try to pack a coon back to the truck anymore. What's everyone suggest?
S/W 6" barrel Revolver then you can shoot short's & don't wake every one in the county up open sight's. set your sight's for what type ammo you are going to use when you change from short to long' it sure make's diff. when you use a hand gun.

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:14 PM
GayleFlowers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GayleFlowers Click here to Send GayleFlowers a Private Message Click Here to Email GayleFlowers Find more posts by GayleFlowers Add GayleFlowers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
I have a ruger Mark2 with crimson trase laser grips, it does a nice job but is awful loud unless you can find some cci quiet ammo which has been about impossible.

Does the CT laser stay sighted in??? I have the Ruger Mark III Hunter model and have been using it with a Nikon red dot. Was going to get a regular pistol scope but many have suggested a laser.

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:21 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shawnstovall
UKC Forum Member

i use a S&W semi-automatic pistol with fiber optic sites on and i love it. It's a little loud though.

918-961-2434
Home to:
Pr S&J's Shack's Backwoods Patches (walker)
'PR' Stovall's Black Knight Wild Willy
Past Home to:
dual grand stovall's black knight george (gone but not forgotten)
pr D&S' black little luke (1st and 3rd place wins) (davis black luke x paynes black june) gone but not forgotten
Dual Grand Davis' black hutch (gone but not forgotten)

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:26 PM
shawnstovall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawnstovall Click here to Send shawnstovall a Private Message Click Here to Email shawnstovall Find more posts by shawnstovall Add shawnstovall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Ruger 9 1/2 " barrel

I painted the top of front sight white for better sighting at night !
also used a Hi Standard double 9 for many years.. the white on the sight worked wonders.

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:29 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coonhunting with a pistol

quote:
Originally posted by JB PITCREW
[B I'm tired of or maybe getting "too old" lol to pack a rifle,lead two dogs and if I'm lucky enough try to pack a coon back to the truck anymore. What's everyone suggest? [/B]

My solution to the very same problem was a young hunting partner. The neighbor kid works just fine. Carries the gun, leads the dog, packs tha coon out. Life is good.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-19-2014 03:47 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I sometimes use a TC .22 mag with a red dot scope. It is a tack driver, but I will admit Lou Lou is a bit loud.

My 70 year old mother can hit a clay pigeon over 40 yards away, and I had a buddy who never shot a pistol before drop a big coon out with one shot. All my buddy could say was sweet. Oh and there is no fight left in that coon.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-19-2014 04:09 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I'll second the ruger mark 11 or 111 with a target barrel with crimson tracer grip sights deadly but loud.

Old Post 12-19-2014 04:47 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I tried that pistol thing 30 years ago! Decided to just take this new pistol my dad gave me. Dog got treed, BANG, BANG, BANG,BANG......................................so on and so forth! I wasn't smart enough to just put my rifle in my truck, so, I left her treed. Drove home, about 3 or 4 miles, got my rifle headed to her, and shot her coon out to her. She was out of Gold Creek Mundo, and a tree dog! She was treed just as hard when I came back, as when I decided what an idiot I was, and went and got my rifle! The only thing that worried me, was that some low life heard her, and decided he could steal her, but fortunately she was still there! No more pistol!

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 12-19-2014 05:01 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Does the CT laser stay sighted in??? I have the Ruger Mark III Hunter model and have been using it with a Nikon red dot. Was going to get a regular pistol scope but many have suggested a laser.

The crimson trace grips stay sighted, I have bounced mine around for 3 years and never had to fool with em. Just make sure your state allows lasers for small game, some do some dont.

Old Post 12-19-2014 06:25 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LRHINEHART
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by squirrelhunter7
I use a S&W 17 some. Some times I look like Wyatt Earp and peel them right out of there, but if I ever miss seems like it make take half a box to get it out lol

LOL! X2

"ONE LIFE TWILL SOON BE PAST, ONLY WHATS DONE FOR CHRIST WILL LAST"!!! JESUS SAVES!!!

RHINEHARTS SHES A GRAND DANDY

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
RHINEHARTS BAWLIN FRED BEAR
AS A WHOLE, YOU WILL BE THE STANDARD BY WHICH I WILL MEASURE ALL OTHERS MY OL' FRIEND!!! I ENJOYED EVERY STEP BEHIND YOU!!

Old Post 12-19-2014 06:38 PM
LRHINEHART is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LRHINEHART Click here to Send LRHINEHART a Private Message Click Here to Email LRHINEHART Find more posts by LRHINEHART Add LRHINEHART to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WV Hound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer

Love them pistols they are super accurate

Old Post 12-19-2014 08:02 PM
WV Hound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WV Hound Click here to Send WV Hound a Private Message Click Here to Email WV Hound Find more posts by WV Hound Add WV Hound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

I hunt with a taurus 980 12" barrel open sights

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 12-19-2014 10:59 PM
Smoking_Bluedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoking_Bluedog Click here to Send Smoking_Bluedog a Private Message Click Here to Email Smoking_Bluedog Find more posts by Smoking_Bluedog Add Smoking_Bluedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey/UKC
I just bought a little Cricket .22 Single Shot pistol to start packing to the woods. Pretty excited to see how it works!

I'd be interested to hear what people suggest for a .22 pistol scope too, what are ya'lls suggestions???

Pistols are just too loud for me but you will love that cricket. You say it is a pistol......is that what you meant? Surely they would call their pistol something besides cricket since that is what they call their little rifle????

Old Post 12-20-2014 05:38 PM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EFranks
UKC Forum Member

browning

Buckmark hunter with a red dot

Old Post 12-21-2014 04:04 AM
EFranks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EFranks Click here to Send EFranks a Private Message Click Here to Email EFranks Find more posts by EFranks Add EFranks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by garminguru
Pistols are just too loud for me but you will love that cricket. You say it is a pistol......is that what you meant? Surely they would call their pistol something besides cricket since that is what they call their little rifle????

I think they call it the Chipmunk acctually, jeez I better get my crap together before I get it

Old Post 12-21-2014 04:29 AM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Red Dot Scope

Friend of mine uses a ruger mark II I think, with Red dot scope. A good Red Dot Scope with good mounts is the ticket he says. He hasn't packed a rifle in a few years. Is plenty loud though.
Off subject a little but: I use Remington subsonic hollow points in my rifle. Love them. Not as loud and real accurate. You need to sight your gun in with them, then you can drive nails with em. Before when I used high velocity bullets sometimes they would go right thru the coon and leave him dead on the limb. The subsonic hit them like a club and knock them off the limb. Bullet flattens out and stays in the coon.

I recommend trying them in a pistol to decrease noise.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 12-21-2014 06:00 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

ruger single 9, .22 mag. best pistol ive ever used and no chance of jamming or not working. got glow sights with rear green and front red. works awesome at night. sometimes takes a few shots other times one and done. i wont carry anything else.

Old Post 12-21-2014 07:41 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.S. Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I would like to have a pistol to carry hunting. I hate toting a rifle.

The Old Dog

Gunters Hardwoods Hank - Walker - Cumberland River Marvin x Peppermint Pepper

Girly Girl - Feist - Super Sport x Gannons Heidi

The Pups

Gunters Sweet Tn Kandy Kane - Redbone - Kodak x Ruby

Old Post 12-21-2014 01:12 PM
S.S. Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.S. Kennels Click here to Send S.S. Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email S.S. Kennels Find more posts by S.S. Kennels Add S.S. Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Clifton
UKC Forum Member

Pistol

Rugs 22/45 MK III with a red dot scope and a sparrow silencer. Had to do the ATF thing but the 200 for the tax stamp is worth every penny. Sounds like an air rifle and I use the HV22. Takes a little practice but I can roll one out in two or three shots. Cant hear it 200 yards away.
Check your state hunting laws but most have no problem with you having one. Keep your stamp on you at all times though. I just keep mine with my hunting licence and also have it downloaded on my phone.
Our game warden is a coon hunter and he went with me one night last week and all he could say about my set up was ( Sweet ).
By the way I had to wait 9 months for the application for the stamp.
Pistol 400
Red dot scope 70.00
Silencer 400
Stamp 200
Satisfaction priceless

Home of:
GrChGrNtCh Mad Dog Mo Blue Smoke 2012 BBOA National King of Hunt

NiteCh Mad Dog Smoke's Real Deal (Smoke X Blueberrie) 2015 BBOA National King of Hunt
2017 BBOA/BBCHA Grand National Reunion King of Hunt

GrChGrNtCh Big Time Spankin Blue Wendy 2009 BBOA National Queen of Hunt

GrNtCh Mad Dog Tree Rockin Robin 2011 zone 1 Queen of Hunt.

Ch Mad Dog Loud Mouth Ralph (Smoke X Blueberrie) 2015 BBOA Zone 1 High Scoring Show Champion
2016 BBOA Zone 1 High Scoring Hunt Overall Winner

NiteCh Mad Dog The Perkolater ( Astro X Ata Girl ) 2015 BBOA Zone 1 High scoring Hunt Champion

Up and comming Mad Dog Smokin Blue Wendell

And a few young Prospects

Last edited by Roy Clifton on 12-21-2014 at 02:59 PM

Old Post 12-21-2014 01:22 PM
Roy Clifton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Clifton Click here to Send Roy Clifton a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Clifton Find more posts by Roy Clifton Add Roy Clifton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey/UKC
I think they call it the Chipmunk acctually, jeez I better get my crap together before I get it

Earlier you said you just bought it, now you say you better get your crap together before you get it......

Sitting here confused??????????

Old Post 12-21-2014 03:24 PM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote