UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Take time to share some (coonhunting) wisdom
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I hunted dogs for the public back when there were certain strains of dogs that you had to hunt down to the point that you were worried about they're health before you saw any results but I learned that each dog is an individual you don't train them all the same let them progress at they're own pace

good advice

*billy jack

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2014 03:16 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
My best advise to a guy starting out is to buy an old dependable hound, an inexperienced hunter trying to train a puppy usually ends with a disouraged kid and a useless dog.
#2 would be knowing when to cut your losses on a dog that doesnt have the tools to become the dog that pleases you. Way to many guys waste years trying to make a silk purse from a sows

#3 No matter how many years you have spent following dogs, you can always learn something new.

so is this

*billy jack

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-08-2014 03:17 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

best advice I was ever given when I was a kid when it came to learning to be a HOUNDSMEN vrs just a coon hunter, was to "keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open. the dogs will teach you as much as you teach them."

30+ years and countless hounds later..........that advice still rings true

*billy jack

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-08-2014 03:21 PM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
Well I have a couple of thoughts that might just help a newcomer to the sport of coonhunting and the training of a hound.

A wise old horseman once told me; If you are NOT knowledgeable in the proper training technics, it is better to do nothing to an animal to correct a behavior, than it is to do something that will set the animal back and cause you more time to correct something that you have created. If the breeding is there, the natural abilities/instincts will show up and progress right along so long as we do nothing to cause a set back.

Another wise old Hound Man once told me this; IF Whipping a dog was what made it a COONDOG, Then everybody in the country would own one. So I take from this that when you are applying a stimulus for correction of a behavior, You cannot/should not, apply that stimulus out of frustration. You must make your correction when you are calm and IN CONTROL of your emotions.

These two things will help you a lot in your progression of becoming a more consistent trainer.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!!!

Lots of good advice, I like this post a lot and will also add the patients learned from training dogs will crossover into your daily life activities as well,and will be very beneficial to you and your family.

Old Post 12-09-2014 06:14 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Dont kill every coon u tree!!!!! Leave some for tomorrow night!!

Old Post 12-09-2014 07:44 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Leaving a pup locked in a pen is like leaving a child locked in his bedroom to raise his self, one day you will be sorry.
They must be stimulated and drawn to you for something, to create a bond to please. At first it can be anything that is fun for them, simple things. Then instincts take over as they mature. This will create a dog that wants to please his owner and will give his all.
I truly believe in my 40 yrs breeding their are smart hounds and dumb ones, smart pups and dumb one's. I cull the latter in a hurry they are always mediocre at best. If you spend enough time with one strain it is very easy to tell.
We always talk about this "cross" should reproduce, and when they do not we are baffled? I believe the smarts factor plays a larger role than we think.
Just something for you guy's to think about?lol

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 12-09-2014 11:53 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dcartee87
UKC Forum Member

Thank you all for this valuable information! ! Like someone said in this post you learn something new everyday!

Old Post 12-18-2014 12:11 AM
dcartee87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dcartee87 Click here to Send dcartee87 a Private Message Click Here to Email dcartee87 Find more posts by dcartee87 Add dcartee87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

the worst thing is shooting too many coon out, once the dog starts getting consistent only give them the coon they really worked for, no pop ups or hot tracks. And never force a pup to do anything until its ready. there is so many things that come into play with pups that only experience can teach us trainers.

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:42 AM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

You have to be smarter than the dog.

Don't be too proud to learn (yourself).

If you're too proud to be honest with yourself about what your dog is doing then you should take up golf and don't waste your time...

EDIT- after I typed this, I realized john had already said almost exactly what I did.

Lots of sage advice here...

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Last edited by deadeye ruck on 12-18-2014 at 03:20 PM

Old Post 12-18-2014 03:04 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

MY DAD ALWAYS SAID TO MAKE A DOG YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE A DOG. GO EVERY NIGHT EVEN WHEN YOUR TIRED AND THE COUCH LOOKS GOOD. GO IN BAD WEATHER. THE DOG WILL GO EVERY NIGHT NO MATTER WHAT.

GOODLUCK TO ALL.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 12-18-2014 04:04 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

General Wisdom

Keep it fun!!
Keep it in perspective with the other things going on in your life.

When you start wanting to do more than your time or pocketbook will allow, the fun tends to go away.

Old Post 12-18-2014 07:50 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip wisecup 1
UKC Forum Member

1.) The will to win is not as important as the will to PREPARE TO WIN

2.) Let your hound do the talking

3.)Breed for Traits and the titles will follow (if that's important to the owner)

4.) If you don't pay the feed bill don't worry whether the dog is Your type of dog.

5.) Take a kid hunting and you won't be hunting for the kid.

6.) If you say your going to do something ..... DO IT!

7.)Always work for tomorrow, I think ole "Pappy" Gayle Flowers says it best. Don't always look in the past unless your preparing to go back. LOVE THIS ONE

8.)Friendships mean more than any hound.... don't let a dog deal ruin your name or friendship.

9.) IF it is too late for number 8... fix it for number 10.

10.) LIVE EVERY DAY LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW. MAKE TREES, MAKE FRIENDS, MAKE MEMORIES.

Ch Gr.Nt Ch 2 Briar Creek Blue Sue HTX.
Pr. Oakwoods Friday Night Flash

R.I.P Gone But Not Forgotten

Gr.Ch. Gr. Nt. Ch. Deepwoods Tree Chopin Grizzly~ Direct Son of Timber Valley Triple X
Co-owned with Shane Glen
2017 Iowa State PKC State Hunt Open Event Final 4
2018 Cast Winner at the Winter Classic
2018 Cast Winner at English Days
2019 PKC Alabama Pro Classic Final 4 Split
2019 PKC Alabama Legacy Cast $$$ winner
2019 UKC Alabama State Hunt final four
2019 UKC ENGLISH DAYS 2nd Grand Night
2019 PKC IOWA LEGACY Cast Winner
2019 UKC World Qualified

Ch. Nt. Ch. Tracy's Moonlight Dottie

Gr. Nt. Ch. Gr. Ch Pine Knob Durango
( "Sire of : Timber Valley Queen, Timber Valley Ten, Timber Valley Joe, Boughton's Red Ruby, & Timber Valley Anny)

Gr.Nt. Ch Ch Timber Valley Anny (Durango x Lucky)

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch Timber Valley Joe (Durango x Lucky) & ( SEMEN STORED AT IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY)

Gr.Ch Nt. Ch Timber Valley Wendy ( Lambertson's Coin X Thurber's Blue Bell)

Nt. Ch Thunder Suzie(83 National Grand Night Ch English Gr. Nt .Ch Gr. CH Wilox' Thunder JR X Gr. NT. Ch Woodstocks Polly)

Chip Wisecup (515) 351-7754

[www.fridaynightkennels.wixsite.com/fridaynightkennels]

Old Post 12-18-2014 08:33 PM
chip wisecup 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip wisecup 1 Click here to Send chip wisecup 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email chip wisecup 1 Visit chip wisecup 1's homepage! Find more posts by chip wisecup 1 Add chip wisecup 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Really really good post. A lot of what not to do but know idea's on how to do it, so with that I will add. When a dog goes to treeing off game or just empty trees I have found the best way for me to handle it is just to tell the dog no. Not yelling but in a sturn voice then lead the dog up without talking to him/her load it up and take it home. If you have a bond with the dog it will crush them like you just whoop it. Be consistent do it every time. Another thing I have found is when it comes to hunting the dog don't do the same thing every nite, in the way of making just one or 2 drops a nite. Always mix it up dogs get hunt smart. Same as only cutting a dog once in a woods. Try to have a few woods you can recast in several times. I have seen countless dogs in nite hunts that throw dirt in your face every time you cut in fresh timber, but watch the dog stand at your feet or go back to the tree you just shinned over and over.

Old Post 12-18-2014 08:37 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Don't lie to yourself. Every hound is a "victim" of his genetics; all have strengths and weaknesses; capitalize on his strengths and try to soft pedal his weaknesses. If your dog has a fault, do your best to "fix it".

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 12-18-2014 09:45 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marpal
UKC Forum Member

A true stud dog "" will reproduce"" regardless of what is backed up to him. That's the difference between a stud dog, and just a male dog.

Old Post 12-19-2014 05:38 AM
marpal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marpal Click here to Send marpal a Private Message Click Here to Email marpal Find more posts by marpal Add marpal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

All dogs like their ears rubbed.

Old Post 12-19-2014 11:59 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

And their bellies!

Old Post 12-20-2014 07:02 AM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

a gyp (I don't like the other common word for them) is in heat once or twice a year for a few weeks each. a male is in heat 365days a year.

that's why I have only ever fed 2 male dogs in all these years.

*billy jack

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-20-2014 11:06 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Good post

Must have items: Light, flashlight/walking light, GPS, compass, matches.
Items for enjoyable hunt: Comfortable boots, quality light, dependable hound & a Garmin.

Old Post 12-20-2014 11:46 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote