UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young dog quit hunting?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

Young dog quit hunting?

I'm 65 and been hunting over 40 years and never had this happen. I have a walker female out of High Expectation that is 2 years old and has quit barking, quit hunting,won't go with another dog. When dogs tree she acts like she don't know what to do. Last season she was coming on great' she was hunting by herself and treed several coons by herself. She was independent, if she was working a track she paid no attention to another dog and the same thing when she treed. She will bark a little when I go out to feed but other than that she will not say a word. Last year the last night of the season she took a track 550 yds by herself and split treed from the other dog I was with on a big oak den. She did a nice job. I did not summer hunt this year at all do to some family issues. I took her the first night of the season this year and she would not do anything. I watched her on my garmin and once she got out to 150 yds and showed she was treed but when I started to her she came back and that was it she never got over 75 yds from me the rest of the night. I have taken her to the vet and he said she is in perfect health. I've hunted her several times by herself and with other dogs and she does not do anything, she won't even go check the other dogs. She was a late starter on treeing but when the light clicked she did not have any problems after that. She didn't care if anything else was with her or not. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a brother to her that is a little younger that is doing pretty good so I don't know what happened. Never been with a mean dog. I hunt by myself and my grandkids mostly. She has only been with a male dog of my friend about three times and he isn't aggressive at all. Like I said any help would be greatly appreciated. She is a nice female and I like her a lot but don't know what else to do. I did show her a live coon and she would move all over it but would not bark. Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-18-2014 06:14 PM
gwhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gwhunter Click here to Send gwhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email gwhunter Find more posts by gwhunter Add gwhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Chkc her thyroid levels

Old Post 12-18-2014 07:06 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

ck 4 lymes as well

Old Post 12-18-2014 08:04 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWAMP GHOST
UKC Forum Member

Get kidneys checked also. Had that happens years back. Went to 3 vets before it was found bad infection in kidneys. High powered antibotics. It hurts them to bark or hunt. Hope that helps.

Hoover and Murray Trackman's Lady

Old Post 12-18-2014 08:11 PM
SWAMP GHOST is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SWAMP GHOST Click here to Send SWAMP GHOST a Private Message Click Here to Email SWAMP GHOST Find more posts by SWAMP GHOST Add SWAMP GHOST to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lizardridge
UKC Forum Member

The next 2 or 3 times you go hunting leave the dog in the kennel. After that take her along but don't dare turn her loose. I've had this work for me on several young dogs. They seem to get the message after being left out.

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:57 AM
lizardridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lizardridge Click here to Send lizardridge a Private Message Click Here to Email lizardridge Find more posts by lizardridge Add lizardridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

Young dog quit hunting

Btt

Old Post 01-10-2015 04:07 PM
gwhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gwhunter Click here to Send gwhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email gwhunter Find more posts by gwhunter Add gwhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ky Show Girl
UKC Forum Member

waiting on a woman check her rear

Old Post 01-11-2015 12:31 AM
Ky Show Girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ky Show Girl Click here to Send Ky Show Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Ky Show Girl Add Ky Show Girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Re: Young dog quit hunting

quote:
Originally posted by gwhunter
Btt

Update? Did you take her to a vet?

Old Post 01-11-2015 01:39 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote