UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 5 month old pup not very loud
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wild cody
UKC Forum Member

5 month old pup not very loud

I got a 5 month old walker male. Has never been very loud. Sounded squeaky when he was younger. Now sounds horse. He doesn't bark much but when he does its horse sounding. Question is at what age will a pup probably be as loud as its gonna be.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-18-2014 03:29 AM
Wild cody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wild cody Click here to Send Wild cody a Private Message Click Here to Email Wild cody Find more posts by Wild cody Add Wild cody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

My opinion, after raising hundreds, is that it won't get a lot better, maybe some.

Old Post 12-18-2014 03:55 AM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wild cody
UKC Forum Member

Kinda been afraid of this. He is as good an acting pup as I have had. But really dis appointed with the mouth

Old Post 12-18-2014 03:58 AM
Wild cody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wild cody Click here to Send Wild cody a Private Message Click Here to Email Wild cody Find more posts by Wild cody Add Wild cody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

Gotta buddy that has a pup just like that, except his had an awesome mouth at 8 months and by 1 yr old, you couldn't hardly hear him. I heard a vet can give em a steroid shot to help? Not really sure what to tell him.

Old Post 12-18-2014 05:04 AM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Try prednisone if he is old enough, if he sounds hoarse chances are something is swollen or out of whack imo.

Old Post 12-18-2014 05:09 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

My experience is apparently different from others. I have seen several that had poor mouths early on and as they matured, their mouth got much better. No way I will judge ones mouth before 12 months of age.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:05 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roger wickerham
UKC Forum Member

they get louder as they gain confidence

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:17 PM
roger wickerham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roger wickerham Click here to Send roger wickerham a Private Message Click Here to Email roger wickerham Find more posts by roger wickerham Add roger wickerham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by roger wickerham
they get louder as they gain confidence

x2...........there is a difference in barking just to bark and a exited "im gonna get ya bark". especially with a course mouth dog. put him in a dog box or in a small kennel and walk away, see if he sounds better.

when you're having a conversation are you loud? how about when you are upset/excited?

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:29 PM
Tom Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom Jones Click here to Send Tom Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Tom Jones Find more posts by Tom Jones Add Tom Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wild cody
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for replys. I got into this four years ago. He is the second pup I have owned. Smartest hound I have. Loads of brains. His music ugh is hard their are times of excitement where he gets louder. i guess we will just have to wait and see. It's really the only thing that worries me. I can't stress enough how smart this pup is. Just will have to see how his voice continues to develope

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:36 PM
Wild cody
UKC Forum Member

Mouth though. **** auto correct

Old Post 12-18-2014 02:42 PM
S.S. Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Some of the best dogs I have followed didn't have a real good mouth. I like a loud hound just as good as anybody but I like coon treeing ability more. If you have a garmin I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a walker female pup right now that sounds horrible around the house on the rare occasion that she
does bark. But when i take her hunting she sounds perfectly fine.

The Old Dog

Gunters Hardwoods Hank - Walker - Cumberland River Marvin x Peppermint Pepper

Girly Girl - Feist - Super Sport x Gannons Heidi

The Pups

Gunters Sweet Tn Kandy Kane - Redbone - Kodak x Ruby

Old Post 12-19-2014 12:59 AM
S.S. Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.S. Kennels Click here to Send S.S. Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email S.S. Kennels Find more posts by S.S. Kennels Add S.S. Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wild cody
UKC Forum Member

Ss kennels I hope so I haven't messed with him much. Been working him on the bench. One short drag and showed him a dead coon at 3 1/2 mos. he is a fast learner with obedience. Like I said earlier he is the smartest fastest learning pup or young hound I have messed with so far. I really like him. But also would love for him to be louder.

Old Post 12-19-2014 01:05 AM