UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog coming off tree
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BigHoss77
UKC Forum Member

Dog coming off tree

What is best way to break this habit? Any suggestions or tips appreciated.

UKC & ACHA NiteCh' Pr' Slippery Creek Rag's Boozer

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2014 02:40 AM
BigHoss77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigHoss77 Click here to Send BigHoss77 a Private Message Find more posts by BigHoss77 Add BigHoss77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allbritton
UKC Forum Member

Does the dog come to you when it leaves the tree or is it just milling around? Does it go back If You encourage it?

Old Post 12-15-2014 03:14 AM
Allbritton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allbritton Click here to Send Allbritton a Private Message Find more posts by Allbritton Add Allbritton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

You could try some hangs up but you risk developing some tree jacking. In reality I think the only thing you can do is hunt the dog 6 nights a week.

Old Post 12-15-2014 05:15 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigHoss77
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allbritton
Does the dog come to you when it leaves the tree or is it just milling around? Does it go back If You encourage it?
he comes off the tree and meets me then he'll go back and tree.

UKC & ACHA NiteCh' Pr' Slippery Creek Rag's Boozer

Old Post 12-15-2014 05:19 AM
BigHoss77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigHoss77 Click here to Send BigHoss77 a Private Message Find more posts by BigHoss77 Add BigHoss77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

break off a green switch an swat him when he comes to meet you. usually real easy to break them of this bad habit.

Old Post 12-15-2014 01:31 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I catch them by the collar and spank them back to the tree, get them up on the tree and treeing. You just want them to think coming off is bad, staying on us good. It's really just that basic.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-15-2014 03:43 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
break off a green switch an swat him when he comes to meet you. usually real easy to break them of this bad habit.

Yup this, I can usually even yell at them and they get back on, he or she should grow out of this.

I thought you meant the dog would tree for a little and then go run another track.

Old Post 12-15-2014 06:27 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

good switch

Old Post 12-16-2014 05:51 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

So what if I've got one leavin the tree and goin to run another track. Me and a buddy have been runnin our two young gyps together. Brandy will strike first and get treed first so I know she's not just me-tooing. Bth dogs will get treed and before we get there Brandy will leave the tree. My buddy's dog stays and there's almost always a coon there. She doesn't just leave and go bs, she's always runnin another track, but how do I get her to stay treed till I get there? I realize shootin one out to her would probably help, but I can't if she's not there.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 12-16-2014 10:35 PM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

run faster

keep up to her make her stay.

Old Post 12-17-2014 12:22 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danny Glista
UKC Forum Member

Bayemup34!! Set her up for a positive outcome!!!!

Much easier to control than free casting her into the timber! Trap a few coon, turn some loose for here and don't give the coon much of a start!!Sometimes I let them watch the coon going away from them but in your case will defeat the purpose of what needs to click in her head. Just cut a coon loose,get her right out after coon takes off and cut her. Get on your hiking boots and keep up with her. When she locates up and trees,get her hooked up and let her tree.I like to just sit back and let'm tree for 15 minutes or so. Don't praise her right of the bat,give her some time for things to settle in first!!Then praise her up and knock the coon out to her. A few times doing this should help solve the problem. One thing for sure!! If you continue to hunt her and she continues to leave before you get to her,it's a lost cause and she'll continue on with it. By trying this,you have nothing to lose and most likely alot to gain. By turning some coon loose for her,if you stay on her and get her hooked up when she trees,you are creating a positive outcome which if repeated a few times will get her mind right. Then,hunt her only by herself and try to stay close to her as possible until she gaines confidense in staying treed. This will correct most hounds with this problem!! There ya go,a training tip from Danny G. Good luck with it!!

Last edited by Danny Glista on 12-17-2014 at 01:22 AM

Old Post 12-17-2014 01:17 AM
Danny Glista is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny Glista Click here to Send Danny Glista a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny Glista Find more posts by Danny Glista Add Danny Glista to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

I'll definitely try this, thank you.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 12-17-2014 03:34 AM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chad west
UKC Forum Member

Bayemup34 is ur buddys dog blowing or face barking making her leave ? Might try her by herself a time or two c if that makes a difference.

'NITECH' WEST'S REPO COLLECTOR
    GRNITECH PKC CH WEST'S BIG JIM TREE JAMMER{RIP}

Old Post 12-17-2014 04:56 AM
chad west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chad west Click here to Send chad west a Private Message Find more posts by chad west Add chad west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokepole
UKC Forum Member

If you are petting dog on the tree stop doing it wait and give them their petting reward after you leave the tree. They are coming to greet you because their lookin to be petted or rewarded. I had one doing the same thing this stopped it for me

Old Post 12-19-2014 04:04 AM
smokepole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smokepole Click here to Send smokepole a Private Message Click Here to Email smokepole Find more posts by smokepole Add smokepole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chad west
Bayemup34 is ur buddys dog blowing or face barking making her leave ? Might try her by herself a time or two c if that makes a difference.

X2 should fer sure be hunting her alone

Old Post 12-19-2014 05:09 AM