UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Unbelievable change
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Unbelievable change

Old friend and myself went on a hunting trip this past week. A place we had hunted for the past 50 years or so, the changes were over whelming, thousands upon thousands of prime hardwood acres were clear cut. We drove for miles in every direction seeing thousands of acres clear cut. Made me sick knowing that we would NEVER again see and hunt all those hardwood bottoms. Places that we had treed coons on every turnout were nothing more than open ground or brair thickets. We hunted s few nights in areas that still had some huntsble timber, but the coons were just not there. I can only surmise that all the habitat destruction had taken it's toll on the coon population. We cut our trip short and came back home early. Hard to believe what we saw, was told that most of the timber was being shipped to China for veneer for furniture. I guess this is just another example of the sweet deal China has with the USA on trade agreement. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-2019 07:14 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Lots of hardwood is being made into wood pellets to replace coal in Europe. Thanks to the environmentalist believing in man made climate change.

Old Post 12-07-2019 10:27 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Wood is high. I am getting ready to have some Walnut cut myself.

Old Post 12-07-2019 11:01 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Dave...it is the same here in South East Texas...because of the population explosion in the last 170 years we are clearing hardwoods in an alarming rate...this morning I traveled an old river road that is about 20 miles long...there were about 10 houses on it not that long ago...it was this way for many years...in the last 10 to 12 years the land on both sides has many houses...what little that is not developed is getting cleared right now as I write this...many chemical plants have been built in the last 5 or 6 years including tank farms and pipelines...

We are expanding the hiways and building new ones...we are bulldozing many prime habitat areas and building subdivisions and warehousing and storage areas...all in the name of progress...🙁

Last month I went on a trip to pickup two pups from a friend of mine...8 hour round trip and went up one way and came back a different way...the trip was in the middle of the White tailed deer rut so I was interested in counting how man dead deer I would see on my drive...I counted 11 dead bucks an 2 dead does...

Many coon and possums along with other wildlife are killed crossing the road either looking for food or water or during breeding seasons...I count those as well...many different types of turtles die crossing the roads during the warm months...

Red flags are popping up everywhere but we choose not to acknowledge the truth of what’s coming...

Old Post 12-07-2019 11:16 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtdodge
UKC Forum Member

Clear cuts

Sound like the national forest in Michigan. Clear cutting just about everything except scrub oaks and standing dead. Leaving trees 200' from the road so when you drive around it looks like the forest. Cutting all the den trees that are alive still is putting a dent on the coons and squirrels in a lot of places.

Old Post 12-08-2019 01:15 AM
dirtdodge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtdodge Click here to Send dirtdodge a Private Message Click Here to Email dirtdodge Find more posts by dirtdodge Add dirtdodge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clear cutting

Trees are nature's way of cleaning the air, all this clear cutting is taking a toll on our enviroment. Clear cutting is destroying the den trees that a lot of game animals use, animals like coons and squirrels. Destroying vast areas of hardwood forests deplete food crops that many animals need to survive. Acorns are eaten by coons squirrels, deer, bear, wild turkeys and other animals. I believe in managing our resources, selective tree cutting is one thing, clear cutting thousands of acres is destroying habitat that took hundreds of years to grow. Clear cutting should be outlawed. Dave

Old Post 12-08-2019 01:49 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

I agree with you Dave. I hate seeing logging operations other than select cutting timber. I moved to where I am ten years ago. The year I moved in the 50 acres to the north right out my backdoor was select cut. I go into that timber many of times over the years and it is neat to see the trees that were left and the new hardwood trees growing because of the gaps in the canopy. Several years went by where you couldn't hardly walk through because of the thick briers. But that stuff is starting to dye back because of the new canopy expanding from the new trees.
I've read some new reports about how the housing market is shrinking with the new millennials opting not to buy a house and the availability of existing houses because of the baby boomers passing away. Then you hear about online sales and the demise of brick and mortar retail. So maybe we will see a declining trend in clear cutting activity to expand.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 12-08-2019 05:07 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The problem I see in my area is population growth and the clearing of land because of it...all wildlife populations will reduce according to the reduction of the habitat...

Last year I saw a deer crossing sign and it was surrounded for miles of subdivisions, malls, Walmart’s...Sugarland, Texas...last twenty years we have many new 5A schools...all in the name of progress...🧐

Old Post 12-08-2019 05:38 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I live in central va. And work in a papermill, we make the inside and outside liner to make cardboard boxes. We unload 75-125 tractor trailor loads of hardwood per day five days a week, its smaller trees and or leftovers from cutting logs. Typically here it gets clear cut and planted back in pines, which now get harvested again in 12 years. Pines used to get thinned and allowed to mature into logs, but now is is more profitable to harvest at 12 years and replant. There is usually some hardoods left on creeks and steams. Yes I miss being able to hunt big oak blocks of timber, but I have resided to the fact ifbi want to coonhunt i will be beating briars down. Treeing a coon and recutting in same woods around here is anything but a pleasure! It is what it is!

Old Post 12-09-2019 01:47 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

In my neck of the woods we have no hardwoods- only place to coon hunt is along rivers and creeks full of cottonwoods, pine trees, Russian Olives, etc...(which there are not many).

So while we have not lost grounds due to thinning of hardwood forests... there has been a huge change due to larger properties and ranches sold to smaller hobby ranches. 30 years ago I could find countless places to hunt, not today.

It's become near impossible to find more than a 1/4 - 1/2 mile of creek / wooded areas to hunt before you cross property and see another house. To hunt some of the places I used to I'd have to get permission from at least 5 people- most of who won't because they deer hunt on their 35 acre track and worry to death you might scare away the deer (which are so thick here it is ridiculous).

I think I'm going to have to set up feeders and stock coon on a couple pieces of public land to ensure I have places to hunt.

We spent so much energy worrying about anti hunters taking our hunting away... we didn't realize that loss of places to coon hunt was the more immediate threat.

Old Post 12-09-2019 03:04 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well I live in NY but hunt mostly PA because I live right on the border and I know PA laws better because I grew up in PA. But the PA Game Commission has started clear cutting the gamelands around me. And some of the clear cuts were very good areas to coon hunt. So I feel your pain on it. But we as coon hunters have about zero say on any of it because the deer hunters rule on everything. Deer hunting has ruined every other form of hunting in this area. And I'm sure its the same every where.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Last edited by novicane65 on 12-09-2019 at 05:16 PM

Old Post 12-09-2019 04:42 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

As a coonhunter, yes, it just plain sucks to see nice timber taken away.

As a forester, clearcuts or "overstory removals" are important tool for managing ecosystems. I don't want to get into the science too much on a forum, but please understand, the foresters are managing as best we know how. And most foresters are also hunters and genuinely care about wildlife.

Pennsylvania was mostly clearcut around 1900 era. It's grown back to beautiful forests today.

Timber prices have fallen like a rock in the past year, so many private landowners aren't selling right now. But the state and federal landowners continue to feed to industry. And we all use wood products every day,

Lone Pine North

Old Post 12-09-2019 05:52 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

Clear cut

My boss owns 1600 acres in my back door that iv hunted for several years. Beautiful hard woods creeks and streams and is absolutely full of coons. IV had it all to my self for several years. All I use it for is competition hunts and maybe a quick drop threw the week. But all thats fixing to change starting this week it's going to be clear cut and the bad thing about it is I'm the one that's gonna have to cut it.

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 12-10-2019 01:16 AM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coty

Wow. That's like adding insult to an injury. I can honestly say that if I owned a million acres of hardwoods , that not one acre would ever be clear cut. I would select cut the trees that were getting past their maturity, but absolutely no clear cutting. Clear cutting benefits nothing in the long run unless one turned the land into pasture or farm land. Select cutting is the best practice for land management, it leaves den trees and smaller mast producing trees to support the wildlife. Clear cutting is a get it all in one step practice that decimated the wildlife in that area. Mass clear cutting has a negative effect on the environment, as trees are nature's way of cleaning the air and putting oxygen back in. Destroying vast areas of all trees is feeding the green house effect and should be outlawed. Dave

Old Post 12-10-2019 02:00 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Pine JB
As a forester, clearcuts or "overstory removals" are important tool for managing ecosystems. I don't want to get into the science too much on a forum, but please understand, the foresters are managing as best we know how.

I'd like to know more about the science behind the benefits of any ecosystem being changed from a forest to a desert overnight

Old Post 12-10-2019 02:37 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coty

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Wow. That's like adding insult to an injury. I can honestly say that if I owned a million acres of hardwoods , that not one acre would ever be clear cut. I would select cut the trees that were getting past their maturity, but absolutely no clear cutting. Clear cutting benefits nothing in the long run unless one turned the land into pasture or farm land. Select cutting is the best practice for land management, it leaves den trees and smaller mast producing trees to support the wildlife. Clear cutting is a get it all in one step practice that decimated the wildlife in that area. Mass clear cutting has a negative effect on the environment, as trees are nature's way of cleaning the air and putting oxygen back in. Destroying vast areas of all trees is feeding the green house effect and should be outlawed. Dave

Yea I know what u mean but I was raised logging and thats really all I know and that's what puts food on the table and roof over my kids.

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 12-10-2019 02:53 AM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Coty

quote:
Originally posted by Cyoung
Yea I know what u mean but I was raised logging and thats really all I know and that's what puts food on the table and roof over my kids.

Yes...it is a double edged sword...****ed if we do and ****ed if we don’t...we’re all guilty of it...

As much as I hate to say it...we need regulations to save us from ourselves...

Old Post 12-10-2019 03:00 AM