UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking ability?
Pages (7): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

One thing I believe is sometimes we can get stuck in a rut when breeding dogs. We may have one line that is doing what we like and want to stay close to that line, which is fine, but, with all the other good breeders out there, there's a good chance someone has improved quite a bit on certain traits we may desire. I've always tried to improve on what I have and to be honest what I have on the end of my leash. That's a hard thing to do, especially if we love the dog we're hunting but if we want to move forward, we must do this or be left behind. I enjoy a good dog but I enjoy a better dog more. Breeders are making improvements each and every day and if we don't capitalize on them, well, we have no one to blame but ourselves. As always, everybody is inclined they're own opinion and mine is just that, my own, lol.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2020 06:36 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Those kind of high caliber track dogs are scarce and once you have had one it’s hard to enjoy anything less.

Tar

Old Post 05-10-2020 03:34 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

So do you have a superior track dog if it gets 100 strike off the snap on 90% of casts or better? Reason I'm asking is because some guys are confusing a babbler with superior tracking.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 05-11-2020 06:44 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
So do you have a superior track dog if it gets 100 strike off the snap on 90% of casts or better? Reason I'm asking is because some guys are confusing a babbler with superior tracking.

They know the difference !! They play the game to win they could care less about a good ole honest coondog.

Tar

Old Post 05-11-2020 07:10 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
They know the difference !! They play the game to win they could care less about a good ole honest coondog.

Tar

I'd agree until you talk to some folks. Just look at some of the other threads on here.

So then my next question is how far away can a dog smell a coon track? I've seen some dogs wind a coon from a good ways off, and I know what I've seen for tracks in the snow and hos far a dog was off the tracks when they were running the track. But I'm looking for some input. I prefer a dog to open, and move 100 or 200 yards before it opens again and get some speed to the track. The run to catch type is the type I like.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-11-2020 10:13 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If your dog opens off the snap every time you cut here where I live you got a babbling dog. If your dog opens off the snap and every coon is treed deep you got a babbling dog. If handlers wait till 10 seconds until the minutes up to strike their dog after it barked non stop from the snap or ( they strike them off the snap if they need it ) every drop.

They got babbling dog.

Tar

Old Post 05-11-2020 10:42 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If a guy don't know if his dog is babbling or not he needs to quit hunting!! It's not that difficult if you hunt the dog any amount at all.

Old Post 05-11-2020 11:14 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

A dog can wind a coon a good ways. You will never get me to believe they are winding a coon on every drop you make though. If that was the case , why do they all get struck under the minute an split up at the 200 yd mark? Using that as an example. If the dogs today that are being struck off leash are legit, why is there a shortage of true track dogs. It doesn’t make sense an people are foolish to believe that a dog that is struck at every drop pretty much before it leaves the light an ends up a mile or more deep with coon. Yes , it has a coon . But it’s nothing more than a babbling fool running through the country looking for a hot pop up. Not saying that there is not any true , legit track dogs in the hunts today. It would sure take a mighty fast one to beat some of these so called track runners to the tree. It does take plus points to win in most any big hunt these days . Some might call the ones winning big a coon dog. I don’t. It’s what that is happening from the time the dog is cut loose to the time it makes it to the tree that has me against it.

Old Post 05-11-2020 11:22 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Ok, as long as most of us are on the same page. I do agree I wish I was more excellent track dogs not just in hunts but in general. I don't think they were ever very common to begin with. But I have seen a couple in my couple years seeing these dogs go. I've seen dogs track coons and many other critters 20 yards or more off the actual tracks that the animal left in snow. I won't say its a very common occurrence but I have seen it more than once. Just happens to be the conditions on those days the scent was drifting off the track a good ways.

Now I'm never going to say I know everything, or I know more than anyone but you have to be honest with what you've got on your lead.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-11-2020 11:50 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Answer this question. If a dog strikes any track other than coon is it any different than a dog that is striking thin air?or Is it worse?

Old Post 05-12-2020 12:24 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Answer this question. If a dog strikes any track other than coon is it any different than a dog that is striking thin air?or Is it worse?
Both are gaining undeserved points. Molesting off game is against the rules. Don’t like a trashy dog . Then again running something is better than just barking to be barking. Really they are both the same , worthless.

Old Post 05-12-2020 12:33 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Pam, how is a babbler a superior track dog? What in your mind makes it superior over an honest dog? Or over a silent dog?

Not really too much difference for the same reason as listed above. Both get undeserved points. But the chances of a trashy dog getting struck ahead of the other dogs 90% of the time goes way down in my opinion. But the trashy young dogs (6 months to 15 months) comes to a halt with me at 15 to 18 months. And I haven't entered a dog that's bad trashy in hunt.

You know with a young dog if it has tracking abilities on fast or slow game. It gets harder to tell with a babbling dog. I don't own a babbler and never will. I don't own any dogs I can't get broke off of trash by 2 years old. I do like a young dog to show me how well it can drive a track, whether it be by taking a deer out of hearing or by harpoon-ing a coon in a bush. And for the dog to open when it hits the track, and open enough to inform me what direction its going.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 05-12-2020 03:24 AM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Superior tracking ability

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I agree with these comments...

When choosing pups I am looking for natural instincts or as others would say natural ability...

Example...

Bay style;

Taking all factors into consideration, the first time the puppy bays a shoat and gives chase is a big positive in my minds eye...if the shoat is backed into a corner and the pup is baying fairly tight with tail swishing and he’s hackled up is a big positive as well...I am reading the pups mind and I like what I am reading...and if he gets down on his front end when baying I know what the pup is wanting to do and I know how he will be when grown...all the above, a big A-Plus to the pup in this area of testing...

ACCURACY, Lack of accuracy or slick treeing are topics often discussed on this forum. A SLICK TREE IS AN UNFINISHED TRACK.

The next pup needs a few months of exposure before he bays and more time to give chase and he stands back back to bay and seems to be over cautious...I won’t be very happy with the results...the two things that are always in my mind when dealing with pups...I want natural abilities because this type of pup is born with it and he will make the best dog more often than not...and the second reasoning...because I don’t have much kennel space I want to keep dogs that are well rounded in all areas possible...besides making better hunting dogs I want a dog that has better potential as a breeding prospect...I want the dog that has a better chance of reproducing what I like...

Same thing with tracking ability...I test all my pups for winding and finding tiny pieces of meat in my back yard...some will say, that’s not testing for tracking ability...l will say this...when the dog is grown and he is hunting and when he gets in the woods and there is a slight breeze and he winds scent coming off of an older track...and he immediately goes 200 yards to it and works it out he will be a pretty good dog...and he runs the track with his head up and it is a feeder track...and find testing as a pup pays off here as well...because he makes it look easy finding The hot end of a feeder track...at least that is my perception of why to test pups...

Old Post 05-12-2020 03:24 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Ok, as long as most of us are on the same page. I do agree I wish I was more excellent track dogs not just in hunts but in general. I don't think they were ever very common to begin with. But I have seen a couple in my couple years seeing these dogs go. I've seen dogs track coons and many other critters 20 yards or more off the actual tracks that the animal left in snow. I won't say its a very common occurrence but I have seen it more than once. Just happens to be the conditions on those days the scent was drifting off the track a good ways.

Now I'm never going to say I know everything, or I know more than anyone but you have to be honest with what you've got on your lead.

Believe it or not there are certain snow conditions that will make a man think he's got a hound with a lot more nose than it actually has. Snow with a favorable moisture content coupled with a barometric pressure that is lifting the scent to the dogs nose will make a medium nosed dog look like a million bucks if it posses the other necessary skills to push a track.

I'd dare say that the truly cold nosed track dog that can turn that track into a running track and put its game in a tree or to the hunters gun is rarer today than it ever has been.

Why would any competition hunter want a truly cold nosed dog? Sounds counterproductive to me if the name of the game is to rack up all the points you can get.

Old Post 05-12-2020 03:30 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Believe it or not there are certain snow conditions that will make a man think he's got a hound with a lot more nose than it actually has. Snow with a favorable moisture content coupled with a barometric pressure that is lifting the scent to the dogs nose will make a medium nosed dog look like a million bucks if it posses the other necessary skills to push a track.

I'd dare say that the truly cold nosed track dog that can turn that track into a running track and put its game in a tree or to the hunters gun is rarer today than it ever has been.

Why would any competition hunter want a truly cold nosed dog? Sounds counterproductive to me if the name of the game is to rack up all the points you can get.

Most competition hunts are won or lost due to lack of accuracy. A slick tree is an unfinished track which could indicate a poor tracking ability.

Old Post 05-12-2020 03:36 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

How or even if a dog opens on track has nothing to do with what kinda track dog they are. Definitely not.

Old Post 05-12-2020 02:07 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Most competition hunts are won or lost due to lack of accuracy. A slick tree is an unfinished track which could indicate a poor tracking ability.
you might be surprised by how many are offgame.

Old Post 05-12-2020 02:09 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
you might be surprised by how many are offgame.
Trash runners was a big thing 4 or 5 years back , maybe a little further back where am from. Now days they just leave out barking making you think they telling the truth. The dogs an handlers are good at what they do now.A mile or so deep with a coon. Plus him up

Old Post 05-12-2020 03:51 PM
Joseph Nalley
UKC Forum Member

I was thought take a coon skin run it up a tree turn pup loose , if they found it and tree on it let them have it. I am just a pleasure hunter but alway willing to learn a new method. Where is the best place to get a book or dvd on teaching a dog to be more track driven

Old Post 08-10-2020 05:30 AM
Joseph Nalley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph Nalley Click here to Send Joseph Nalley a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph Nalley Find more posts by Joseph Nalley Add Joseph Nalley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Nalley
I was thought take a coon skin run it up a tree turn pup loose , if they found it and tree on it let them have it. I am just a pleasure hunter but alway willing to learn a new method. Where is the best place to get a book or dvd on teaching a dog to be more track driven

l've never seen such a book or dvd made. My personal opinion is that type of dog isn't trained but born. Just like a tree monster. You can slow a tree dog down some but you'll never get one to be what I'd call accurate. And I've never seen a dog that you can actually teach how to track or with what speed run track.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 08-10-2020 12:36 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Wonder?

What kind of nose/track dog will win the $50,000.00 next year!😉

Old Post 08-10-2020 12:54 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Pick 100 coon hunters and span about 3 generations of hunting experience with you choices. Ask them to describe a track dog. What one is and how one operates. I think the answers will be all over the place. Then you want to see if they really know anything. Ask them which breed has the coldest noses. If you aren't confused yet. Think about this. When two people can't agree on characteristics of hounds. How can two people breed dogs and expect results that both will like. They say it is lonely at the top. Not because you're the only one there. You're the only one that thinks what you have is tops.

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Do comp hunters even want a dog with tracking ability anymore? Most of them want a dog that won't even fool with a bad track. If their dog bogs down on a track, they want them to go on and find a better track. They train them to do that by walking in and pushing them on or shocking/toning them. They don't let them try to learn to work a bad track.
Garmin's have taken a lot of the tracking ability out of our dogs. If they run a fast track, they get shocked. If they try to work a bad track, they get shocked.

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Do comp hunters even want a dog with tracking ability anymore? Most of them want a dog that won't even fool with a bad track. If their dog bogs down on a track, they want them to go on and find a better track. They train them to do that by walking in and pushing them on or shocking/toning them. They don't let them try to learn to work a bad track.
Garmin's have taken a lot of the tracking ability out of our dogs. If they run a fast track, they get shocked. If they try to work a bad track, they get shocked.

I'm willing to bet there's less of this type of handler/trainer than you're willing to admit. Just like the blow past coons type of dogs.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 08-10-2020 05:08 PM
yadkintar
Banned

As in any game the rules dictate how the game is played. In ukc I think at the major hunts you will see a difference in the scores for the better.

Tar

Old Post 08-11-2020 12:27 PM