UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Somehow we over think training a coonhound.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Somehow we over think training a coonhound.

Maybe I should of said we at times think to much about training and not just letting the dog learn through the reputition of hunting.
I always get better results when my training is done going through the motions of hunting and the distractions you run into hunting. You can go out in the dog pen everyday and have you let it put a tracking collar on him. Take him to tbe woods that should excite him. Have a buddy there in another truck getting his dog ready. Then see how still you dog stands.
Just like cutting them loose. I leash them on the tailgate of the truck even if it just me and the dog. They walk it to the spot I am cutting loose and send him on. I have seen many people who worked their dogs different that what hunting conditions have to offer and be embarassed by their trained dog when your with strange dogs, people and distractions.

I always work the hound as it was in a cast. On lead when should be according to the rules and off lead when he should be.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2019 07:49 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I like your thinking!

I'm like you Bruce, I am constantly training my dog, whether it be 6 months old or 6 years. I take every dump like I'm in a cast one way or another. Do things exactly the same every time. After all that's what you expect from your dog right?

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 02-20-2019 08:00 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

with ya Bruce.. all mine are well mannered at kennel or in timber... only one alpha and he rules!!

Old Post 02-20-2019 09:27 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Bruce can you pull up your thread on the miller bothers making tree dogs pay off ?

Old Post 02-21-2019 01:25 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
with ya Bruce.. all mine are well mannered at kennel or in timber... only one alpha and he rules!!
i leave the alpha alone and use tone of voice .lol

Old Post 02-21-2019 01:27 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Over thinking training a hound...

Training a hunting dog is easy when we do the right things at the right time when working with a well bred pup or dog...a little preplanning goes a long ways as well...

pre-planning examples...

Don’t unleash the pup in a right of way or pipeline because he will run the path of least resistance...instead lead him into the timber before unleashing...

Cast pup into the wind instead of downwind...
Or cast crosswind if needed...

Show the pup what a coon is before hunting pup...cast the pups where lots of coon travel...this helps in cutting out trash running...

Break pup off deer in kennel and not in woods...

The correct management of training goes a long ways...doing it right and keeping it simple minimizes frustration and helps keep a good relationship between handler and dog...

Old Post 02-21-2019 05:52 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote